What and how do you carry your sidearm in the highcountry?

If I carried I would use a holster that attached to the hip belt of my pack. Slide it off and attach to a belt or pants when not wearing a pack. I’ve never carried once while hunting though. I don’t hunt where there are grizz either and people don’t worry me. The last thing I want to do is shoot and kill someone at elk camp. That would open a whole can of worms.

Brooks

WKR
If I carried I would use a holster that attached to the hip belt of my pack. Slide it off and attach to a belt or pants when not wearing a pack. I’ve never carried once while hunting though. I don’t hunt where there are grizz either and people don’t worry me. The last thing I want to do is shoot and kill someone at elk camp. That would open a whole can of worms.
Get a little training and shooting someone in camp will never happen. Wtf must be from ABQ.

I’ve had the training. I’m a long ways away from the Albq war zone. Just saying I wouldn’t want to shoot someone in camp because others have mentioned they carry while hunting for two legged critters not 4.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
I carry what I always do which is a glock 19 on the hip belt of my pack. I bring along a separate holster for when at camp as the one on my pack is woven into the molle.

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
That's how I carry it. Easy access, but completely out of the way. It certainly helps you to sleep better at night when you know you have a fighting chance against a bear.

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
I also have a Marsupial bino harness with the handgun holster underneath. I do see your point Jbxl20 about having to slip on the bino harness for trips out of the tent at night. Perhaps a holster that clips to the belt line would be a handy addition to my gear.
Yeap my thoughts exactly.

ThatDUDE

WKR
I landed on an Invader Concepts chest holster. I am running a Glock 48 MOS with a weapon light. It goes under my bino harness.

I don't carry in the backcountry, but I'll stick someone with my Leatherman in their face and spider monkey the $hit out of them if it comes down to it.

I seen a couple guys hunting last year and they both had pistols on their hips. I said what you guys hunting with those. One said people the other said bears. I said "Well you can take care of the people but chase the bears to me, I got a bear tag!" lol

I don't carry in the backcountry, but I'll stick someone with my Leatherman in their face and spider monkey the $hit out of them if it comes down to it.

That's kind of my way of thinking, too. No reason to unnecessarily carry extra weight and go through the whole pain in the ass of carrying, just to look cool and be included among the glitterati.

Warrior27

Lil-Rokslider
Kenai chest holster has been the answer for me. Super comfortable and readily accessible. It’s been so comfortable that I pretty much only take it off to sleep. Use it with/under bino harness and pack without issue. Season after season in nasty brush and have never had a retention issue.
^this^

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
That's kind of my way of thinking, too. No reason to unnecessarily carry extra weight and go through the whole pain in the ass of carrying, just to look cool and be included among the glitterati.
Why is it a pain the ass for you to carry? Why would you carry to look cool? 18 oz isn't a deal breaker for me. I am a weight Nazi too. Some of you in here carry a sleeping bag 3 times the weight of this set up.

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
I attached my 9MM holster to PALS webbing on hip belt of my Kifaru...easy/quick access and don't really feel extra weight when it's on your hip.

View attachment 740025View attachment 740026
The idea about having it on my pack hip belt just seems like it would be a cumbersome and a pain. It would all depend on the situation I guess. I don't take my bino harness off much till I'm at camp. I take my pack off a lot when I glass or take a break. Just my thinking anyways. Nice elk by the way!