What and how do you carry your sidearm in the highcountry?

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
I just purchased a hellcat spring field 9mm. I will be carrying it with a marsupial harness. Haven't really carried much in the mountains since the early 2000s. Maybe it's me getting older, but I do feel more comfortable knowing a cracked-out sheep herder won't get the best of me!Harness.jpg

Elkhntr08

WKR
Agree with IS, water is much more important. I’ve hunted Idaho and Wyoming around Yellow Stone and never cut a grizzly track.
If a cracked out sheep herder comes after me, I’ve got 5 nice sharp broadheads to fight with.

Jbxl20

WKR
Separate chest holster.
Ive used that marsupial setup for my 10mm in Montana. At night when your out of your tent it sucks having carry around your bino harness when your getting firewood, taking a leak, etc. for my hellcat I usually just keep it in the back pocket of my marsupial on day hunts or scouting

Last edited:

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Kenai chest holster has been the answer for me. Super comfortable and readily accessible. It’s been so comfortable that I pretty much only take it off to sleep. Use it with/under bino harness and pack without issue. Season after season in nasty brush and have never had a retention issue.

JCS271

FNG
I wear my Wilson CQB 10mm with Underwood Hardcast 220's in a Diamond D rig literally everyday around my property and on my nightly 90 minute walkabouts with my canids. If I am hunting I wear my backpack right over the top of it with zero issues.

20240510_174831.jpg

I pack my 329 with either 305gr Underwood Hardcast or homemade 260 hardcasts in a Diamond D rig if I'm riding my mountain bike on narrow, over grown trails.

20240620_155852.jpg

I live in grizzly country so my pistol is always handy. Of course up here water access is never an issue either. :)

P.S. I think they would both be effective on a crazed sheepherder bent on molestation!

Last edited:

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
I've really enjoy the Razco holster under my bino harness paired with a 10mm. He makes them custom for most all chest rigs, and I'm running the kuiu pro harness. Can be taken off and on very easily.

Tmac

WKR
If I’m not carrying a rifle, a pistol is either attached to my bino system or I wear a chest holster if I am not carrying bino’s.

Kentucky

WKR
I’m using a HPG medium recon chest kit bag…very comfy, very light… I keep a few other small odds and ends with me as well…

big_mo

FNG
The hellcat is a sweet piece. One thing to keep in mind also is the legality of carry a sidearm depending on the region your and season. I know some states prohibit you from carrying a firearm during archery for example.

Walthers

FNG
Maybe I’m in the minority but I carry a very lightweight .40 m and p in my pack to put on my hip while I break an animal down. I have bear spray on the side of my pack as it is less cumbersome for my pack. I also don’t worry too much becuase I don’t hunt grizz country and steer clear of property lines.

sambo3006

FNG
I also have a Marsupial bino harness with the handgun holster underneath. I do see your point Jbxl20 about having to slip on the bino harness for trips out of the tent at night. Perhaps a holster that clips to the belt line would be a handy addition to my gear.