What a mess...

WCB

WKR
I think I'll pass - I don't need the self promotion BS slinging.
I listened to it. Was more of them acknowledging all the mistakes they made and is probably something a lot of people should listen to and realize to weigh your decisions carefully. Whether it is having a back up weapon, or planning for the worst.

Example there is a D-Bag insta hunter meat head that made the decision that instead of carrying a side arm he is going to carry a Bowie knife because it is easier to travel with and less cumbersome on his belt (the thing is like 12" long).
Something smells fishy about that story. I'm not experienced with brown bears but the article writer downplays the efficiency .338 RUM at 470 yards. They claim they put a round in the boiler room (lungs) among two other shots. Not knowing what exact bullet they were shooting, a quick google search shows there should have still been ~2800 ft lbs of energy at 500. I don't understand.

Can someone with first hand brown bear experience explain? Are they really that tough or was the shot not as good as they claim?
I thought the same thing. They were shooting Accubonds so a decent bullet. IMO a lung shot bear with 2 other shots in them is not going 470 yards (line of sight) with the gas to take 4 or 5 more shots and run even further. I would have been doing a straight up Necropsy to figure out exactly what happened with the first 3 shots.

I'm sorry but take out both lungs of an animal and toughness doesn't matter. Now hit one lung that is another story.

Yeah, the issue here wasn't due to the proficiency of the shooter or the caliber. Such a strange way to write a story...to imagine a bear would charge you from 470 yards away and having a bolt action jam and not have time to clear the round???

They stated they found a blown/dropped primer jammed in the gun. I've seen many guns with primers stuck in them and they can jam stuff up tight tight.

Once I heard it straight from them it made a bit more sense but in general I shook my head at all the bonehead moves they admitted to. Each person should have a side arm IMO. She seems like a good hunter and is definitely tough but going into a hunt specifically for big bears probably should of had someone a bit more experience just for the decision making aspect.

CorbLand

WKR
I listened to it. Was more of them acknowledging all the mistakes they made and is probably something a lot of people should listen to and realize to weigh your decisions carefully. Whether it is having a back up weapon, or planning for the worst.

Once I heard it straight from them it made a bit more sense but in general I shook my head at all the bonehead moves they admitted to. Each person should have a side arm IMO. She seems like a good hunter and is definitely tough but going into a hunt specifically for big bears probably should of had someone a bit more experience just for the decision making aspect.
I am glad the admitted to all the bone head moves they made so others can learn from them. Shit happens and overall, I think they did a good job at handling a bad situation. Could they have better choices? Absolutely but hindsight is 20/20.

CorbLand

WKR
maybe there are some animals that long range shooting should not be done on.
What defines long range though and what animals should we not shoot at what distances?

I shot an elk with a 30.06 at 15 yards and she ran 125 yards and she bedded down. I had to shoot her again.

I shot a elk with a 6.5CM at 410 yards and she made it 30 yards before falling over. She was dead on her feet from the moment the bullet hit her.

Both elk were hit in the lungs. The one at 15 yards was with a 165 grain Accubond that penciled through. The 410 yard was with a 143 ELDX and her lungs looked like mashed up jello.

Example there is a D-Bag insta hunter meat head that made the decision that instead of carrying a side arm he is going to carry a Bowie knife because it is easier to travel with and less cumbersome on his belt (the thing is like 12" long).
I just saw that video 🤣 What a bozo. Someone commented that he needs to bring a pistol and his response was “The guide will have one” There it is! So the knife is just for show 🙄

dla

WKR
If anyone wants to hear what happened from the horses mouth, here it is...fast forward to 44 minutes if you want to get right to the meat of the story:

Listening to the podcast reinforced my belief that kids today are ignorant of what can go wrong when taking long shots.
That bear absorbed 3, maybe 4 hits, from a cartridge that chart readers say had plenty of zing at 470yds. Guess the bear didn't read the same material.
I wonder if the millennial & GenZ exer-hunters learned anything from this near-disaster? Suppose a legit guide would've allowed this?

Let me be clear: I am against 400+yd shots in general-especially on bitey-scratchy game. Learn to hunt.

AKBorn

WKR
Responses to things like this are always interesting. Sometimes they're constructive but a lot of the time threads like this devolve into people projecting their own skill limitations onto the hunters in question and then getting even more mad at them.
Based on the story, sounds like the hunters have plenty of limitations all on their own, and don't need us to project any on to them. Being a crack shot with a rifle, and making good decisions in the field, are very different skillsets.

AKBorn

WKR
Listening to the podcast reinforced my belief that kids today are ignorant of what can go wrong when taking long shots.
That bear absorbed 3, maybe 4 hits, from a cartridge that chart readers say had plenty of zing at 470yds. Guess the bear didn't read the same material.
I wonder if the millennial & GenZ exer-hunters learned anything from this near-disaster? Suppose a legit guide would've allowed this?

Let me be clear: I am against 400+yd shots in general-especially on bitey-scratchy game. Learn to hunt.
I feel like "long-range spotting and shooting" is amore apropos term than "long-range hunting."

Based on the story, sounds like the hunters have plenty of limitations all on their own, and don't need us to project any on to them. Being a crack shot with a rifle, and making good decisions in the field, are very different skillsets.
Being constructive about their other decisions is just fine. They screwed up a fair bit. But some responses in here acting like they're idiots who just watched "Tactical Art of the Rifle" and were inspired to go take their first "long range" shot at a big bear are also stupid. They showed their inexperience on a number of topics, but shooting at that range isn't one of them.

dla

WKR
Being constructive about their other decisions is just fine. They screwed up a fair bit. But some responses in here acting like they're idiots who just watched "Tactical Art of the Rifle" and were inspired to go take their first "long range" shot at a big bear are also stupid. They showed their inexperience on a number of topics, but shooting at that range isn't one of them.
I disagree. They clearly screwed up shooting at that range. That should be obvious given that the bear came back to give them a piece of his mind.

I disagree. They clearly screwed up shooting at that range. That should be obvious given that the bear came back to give them a piece of his mind.
I don't see how this follows. Have you ever misplaced a shot within your normal range? I think most long-time hunters probably have. That doesn't mean that shot distance is unsuited to you, it just means you screwed up. Those are two separate things.

One thing the chart doesn’t take into account is the “knock down” that is lost at long ranges. Certainly the hunters were skilled enough to make an accurate shot at 470 yards, but I think there’s more to the equation than foot pounds of energy.

There were several things that went wrong on this hunt, some of them controllable, some of them not. But fundamentally, I think the 470 yard shot on a 10’ brown bear was the big mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we all makes mistakes and we learn from them....

.... I’m sure they they wish the did some things differently. Doesn’t make them, you or I bad people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk