Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
wiggys 0 bag is good to 20 or so if you sleep cold, if your wm was rated @ -10 that explains why one of you froze...

The Versalite is rated for 10 above zero - supposedly not as warm as the wiggys bag. The versalite is far warmer.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go with the Microfiber Fabric.
During UL backpacking trips I've used WM bags with both extremelite (Highlite, Ultralite, Versalite) and microfiber (Apache) shells.
Personally I prefer the Microfiber as not only is it more water resistant, more breathable, and more durable, but it seems to allow less feathers to work through the fabric. Plus it feels softer on the hand/skin.
I think a bigger benefit with overfill than the few degrees warmer is that it prevents down movement/shifting and thereby decreases the possibility of cold spots.

Big fan of the antelope. I have used it A LOT... I experimented with my old 40 degree down bag inside of it, and had a few nights comfortable around -10 to -15. I'm 6'7", around 215, 33" waist, and have the long MF. I don't usually put anything but my feet in the foot box if I can help it, but I have certainly layered up in the bag and been fine.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Technically WM bags are naturally overfilled . They use 900-950 down but stuff as if it’s 850 which creates a slight overfill effect .

As for shells , they are all good . The heavier shells breath more and have a higher hydrostatic head rating however that being said the extreme light fabric is more waterproof than many of the more common tents available at REI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sounds like you would just stick with the versalite inside a Cimarron?

Yes nothing wrong with that . I run the alpinlite in the cimarron as mostly my backcountry hot tent setup . I also use the terralite and the quilt a fair amount .

Do you find the MF to be better than the Extreme Lite series?

I think the mf series is better for a full shelter and more versatile for stretching out the temp in warmer months.

for tarping or hammocks I’d run the wind stopper version.

im not a fan of the extreme light. the extra steps needed to keep them from damage doesn’t outweigh the weight savings for me personally. But they are still better than the closest competition imo

schmalzy

WKR
I’ve been using an Apache this year and like
It. It’s a snugger cut than the badger. I move a lot in my sleep and have found that the bag actually moves with me? I’ve got it in a lightweight bivy with a pad in it. Took a bit to get used to but now think it’d be hard to switch back.