Western/cowboy boots

I’m looking to get a pair of boots, mostly for casual dress but still want something durable … I’m looking at Tacova, hondo… I would like to have them made in the usa or Mexico and have a price limit of about 3-350 … curious what boots you all recommend

v8rider

FNG
I'm going to get flack for this but here goes......For lightweight comfortable boots I buy Academy's Durango mens Rebel (they usually have flag on the upper). I wear cowboy boots 90% of the time and these are my go to for comfort. They are not extremely durable but for $99, they last me ~2yrs and I go buy another pair or two.
I wear lucchese's for formal occasions and Ariats for working on the ranch.

smithjd

FNG
Ariats are super comfortable
I started wearing "cowboy" boots last year and bought Ariats. They ARE super comfortable and have me wearing them even when I don't need to. They also have working soles, not slick smooth leather.

Downside is I didn't find them as durable as I'd hoped. Of course, I was using them harshly, but for what they are made. Pack trips and leading stock down steep rocky trails did more damage than I'd liked. I'm torn about getting another pair.

Dad just picked up these Piracuru fish skin boots. Well made for the money. $370 plus we had a store next to us and had $30off.
Dad has been a cobble for over 40 years and he expected to spend twice that to get what he wants. Went up 1/2 a size and put insoles in them. They feel great.4DED231B-FE48-4666-B213-F64EFF484BCF.jpegB5FD0C24-0884-40F8-B2CE-AE5B042CA842.jpeg

I wear cowboy boots every day. For the office/church/around town, it's either a pair of brown calfskin Tecovas or black calfskin Lucchese. Both are very comfortable but not especially durable, so I reserve them for "light duty." For the farm/garage or when work takes me to the field, I wear a 10 year old pair of rubber-soled steel-toed Ariats. A leather sole/heel looks classier but will wear out much faster than solid rubber. Leather heels can also be tough to keep looking nice, especially the backside of your right boot where it's constantly rubbing against the floor mat while driving.

Last edited:

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I wear a pair of Tecovas roping boots every day. I've been very happy. They said that they run true to size, but I found them to be a bit small.

elkguide

WKR
I wear Lucchese for dress. More money than what you are asking but a lot more boot. Very few "cowboy" boots made today are the kind that you can wear for everyday wear. My knock around boots are a pair of older Lucchese that I had re-soled with a rubber sole to have a little bit more slip control.

These boots can take a beating and look great if you want them for around town. I have owned 3 pair over the last 15 years. And one other pair of double H boots that were slightly pore pointy that don’t fit quite as well on my wide foot. Made in the USA. They are taller than most cowboy boots but o prefer them that way. I work as an engineer in an office and wear them every day currently but my older pairs held up to farming and ranch work for about 3 years each. Best thing to do is keep them oiled but it will darken them.

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
Second the Ariat $100 boots or the Justin $100 boots. If I wore boots more than a few times a week I would probably get more expensive ones but for now nah would rather buy hunting fun stuff

Go to boot store that has large selection.

Took me 20 years of looking before I went to correct western wear store to find a boot that fit my type of foot.

Now I’m loving it.

Fit over brand. Once you find the fit, then you can get dialed in to who makes those types.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to boot store that has large selection.

Took me 20 years of looking before I went to correct western wear store to find a boot that fit my type of foot.

Now I’m loving it.

Fit over brand. Once you find the fit, then you can get dialed in to who makes those types.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good advice here... I always go with square toe and short heel. My feet ain't designed for the pointy toe high heel traditional boots. Looking at the Ariat website, I typically go with the "hybrid" style boots with some rubber on the bottom. Better grip and a little more cushion.

1) double H - USA ( pennsylvania)
2) Tony Lama - USA (texas)
3) twisted X - USA

ARIAT - MAJORITY ARE MADE IN CHINA, A FEW MODELS IN MEXICO, VIETNAM & ITALY AND THE TWO24'S MADE IN USA

nobody

WKR
As someone with plantar fasciitis and major foot pain from flat feet, I appreciate Ariat's footbed technology. Even their dress boots have it. Somebody said earlier they're not durable, and I'm not sure how anybody can say that with any form of sincerity. My dad and I work in the construction industry (masonry and HVAC), and we each get roughly 2-2.5 years from each pair of work hogs on average. I hate that they're not made in the USA, but in our experience, the USA made boots just don't cut it when it comes to durability and longevity and comfort. Tony Lama we have been lucky to get a year out of. H-H seem to be super durable and have well made soles, but holy cow it's like walking with a 2x4 (or a Kenetrek) strapped to your foot. I've wanted to try Dan Post and Twisted X, but with boot prices being where they are, I can't risk investing in something that'll hurt my foot after half a day on my feet.

Somebody said earlier they're not durable, and I'm not sure how anybody can say that with any form of sincerity. My dad and I work in the construction industry (masonry and HVAC), and we each get roughly 2-2.5 years from each pair of work hogs on average. I hate that they're not made in the USA, but in our experience, the USA made boots just don't cut it when it comes to durability and longevity and comfort.
I can honestly say with great sincerity the Ariat workhogs are a great comfortable work boot but they definitely are not durable in me and my coworkers opinion. Wore them for years in the oilfields & got 9-12 months tops. Now the day job is at a rural electric coop plus making hay & Rasing cattle on the side and i also have used them for my grass fire boots as a volunteer firefighter. They are great boots just not very durable in my opinion. Have lots of co-workers who still wear them and love them but they get thrown in the trash every year and they order a new pair.