West Texas Free Range Elk Hunt

It has been a while since I have posted anything and it has also been about 4 months since this hunt took place, however, I figured this may be helpful to some people looking for some information on hunting elk in west texas.

I have been looking into various outfitters for a very long time. I am blessed in that I do not mind paying a little extra for a quality experience with a chance at quality animals. While I am earning points in several states, it can take many years to get into a great area with reasonable access and quality bulls etc.

I have several friends that go elk hunting every year in Colorado and I have never been attracted to the crowds of other hunters they run into and the chances at even seeing a decent bull after the first day of season is slim.

So, after researching several options I really started to become more and more interested in West Texas for several reasons.
1. The land is private and many of the ranches are BIG!
2. Elk are considered a non native species (which is odd considering they have had free range elk in west texas since the 1920s) so this means you only need a basic 5 day non resident hunting license and you are good to go. There is no tagging or check in process after the kill. No antler restrictions. You can also hunt them year round with any weapon you choose (rifle or bow etc). Heck, you can even hunt them with thermals at night if you were so inclined (not my style but it is legal).
3. The terrain is easier and hunting out of a hotel or quality camp is possible. No need to horseback in 15 miles to a spike camp. I do enjoy hard hunts with hiking and spike camps but it is not necessary on this type of hunt usually.
4. Weather is pretty ideal during the months of September-March and it is not really likely to rain for several days etc. So, the weather is usually nice. Heavy winds may be the only thing you have to deal with but it certainly could be worse and often is in many other elk hunting areas.
5. Packing out a animal is usually easier. No need in most cases to hike miles with meat and antlers on your back. Usually, you can get a vehicle or 4x4 within a few hundred yards of your downed animal.

If there is a drawback to hunting elk in West Texas it is certainly the cost. It's a pay to play game in West Texas. Elk hunts range form 9k to 16k based on my reasearch for free range elk. I paid something in between that range.

My hunt was a 5 day hunt and took place about 45 minutes from Fort Stockton. We had some heavy winds to deal with and we were hunting late season elk so they were not rutting. This proved to make things a bit more challenging in locating elk. It seemed most of the elk we could see from out vantage points were miles away and on neighboring properties so we were not able to make a play on them. We did see elk every day but not the numbers we expected or hoped to see.

This was a 4 day hunt and on the morning of day 3 were were fortunate to spot two bulls about 1 mile away. I was saddened to learn that the two bulls were about .5 miles across the property line. My heart sank when the guide told me that and I thought our chance was gone. The elk were both headed the opposite direction from where we needed them to come. Luckily the winds started to pick up over the next half hour and the elk decided to do a 180 turn and come back out direction in order to seek protection from the wind.
The two bulls ended up working back onto our ranch and ended up walking up into a drainage to bed. We were able to sneak to within 500 yards and watch the bulls bed. While we could not see them bedded we were confident of where they were bedded at.
I thought the best idea would be to get to a high knob about 300 yards out and wait for them to hopefully feed out that evening. I was a little surprised when the guide said he thought we should try to sneak in there and find the bull bedded. I really thought we would likely spook the bedded bulls on our approach as we did not know exactly where they were bedded (just the general area). I was also worried that it would be too thick in the cedars and we would likely accidentally get too close. Either way, the guide seemed certain that with the high winds in our face we could work slowly and eventually find them bedded. I reluctantly agreed to make the stalk. We worked super slow and glassed every 10 yards or so looking for the white antler tips.

As we got within about 100-150 yards from where we thought the bulls would be bedded the guide leaned over and told me he saw some antler tips! I was shocked as it was thick and hard to see very far. A minute or so later he stated that he could see both of the bulls antlers. After a little more glassing we were able to determine which bull was the larger of the two. He was a big 5x5. There are certainly bigger bulls out there to be had but this had been a hard hunt and after 3 days this was the first stalk we even had the chance to make on a bull. I was more than happy to shoot a bull of this caliber. This was also my first elk and I really wanted to bring some meat home! Needless to say, i was more than happy to shoot this bull!

Back to the story, once the bulls were spotted, we really did not have a angle to shoot and it was too thick. From where we were located if the bull stood up it would have been facing me or quartering hard to me. It was vital that I shoot the bull right as he stands up as the cover was very thick and he had several escape routes away from us through thick cover. So, if I was not able to get a shot off as soon as he stood up, that bull would quickly disappear in the thick cover.

We kept working to our left in order to give me a broadside shot. The guide would walk over about 20 yards to the left and then signal me over. We worked closer and more to the left. We had to do this about 3 or 4 times until we were finally in the best position we could be in to make a good shot.

As soon as we moved into the last position I set up the tripod and right when I did that we spooked a mule deer and it started blowing at us. I never even considered while we were making the stalk that we had seen several mule deer in that area earlier that morning. In hindsight we were very lucky to not have spooked more mule deer and blowing the elk out while making the stalk.

Anyways, the mule deer spooked and it was absolutely perfect. The elk started to look back and forth. I could see his antlers moving and could tell he was looking around for whatever had spooked the mule deer. Only a few seconds later (seemed like a hour) the elk finally stood up. I dont think he stood up for more than a couple quick seconds and I immediately shot and he dropped right back into his bed. Needless to say I was excited. Shot was less than 100 yards away!

I would be happy to answer any questions regarding hunting elk in west texas. I have hunted all over the world and really think that west texas is a specal place. I have hunted there several times now but this was my first time for Elk.
I would recommend going during the rut (September or October). I think the elk will move much during daylight and provide more opportunities. We did not see many elk on this hunt (guide was super surprised). We hunted in February.

I will be headed back in October for a rut hunt and will make a post on the results of that hunt!

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 252
  • unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 251
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 251
OP
S
Also, I am not really a score guy at all but I have no idea what this elk may score. Any idea? Again, dont care but I am curious what your guesses may be.

guylaga

Lil-Rokslider
Nice write up, and even nicer elk.

Probably my biggest hunting goal is to get a Texas Elk, even better if it is on my families property. Its not a large ranch by any stretch of the imagination, but maybe one day I will get lucky.

WestTexas

FNG
Solid bull and write-up.

Mind me asking what outfitter it was and what area in West Texas (WT is almost half the statete)? Did elk rut around the same time as they do in western states?

Aerosith

FNG
Also, I am not really a score guy at all but I have no idea what this elk may score. Any idea? Again, dont care but I am curious what your guesses may be.
Great story and hunt, that is an awesome bull!
I'd put him in the 290"-295" range in terms of gross score, very big for a 5 point.

Tx270WT

FNG
Have a lease in that general area and see there sign from time to time. Buddy shot a nice 5x5 out there a few years ago and he was the small bull.

Silas, your ego is bigger than your brain if you want to go back there to hunt someday! Your last illustrative post on this same hunt was taken down because it had the potential to kill the spot. Demand far exceeds elk supply in wtx and hunt prices have risen dramatically since you posted this same story a few months back! It’s amazing how many people see these posts! I’m fairly connected with several outfitters on the big ranches in the area. Your post and another on bowsite (maybe you there?) about the same time frame created a “phone ringing off the hook” moment for most wtx outfitters. They booked up a few years more, as a result, with a hell of a price increase.
My guys (likely one of the neighboring properties you mentioned) are $18500 for 2026 trophy hunt. I paid $8500 for same hunt in 2019 & 2022. I don’t mind paying but, I’m a regular customer and outside of 2026, I will not be able to hunt there again until 2029. That’s right! The best properties are booked out 5 years now!
i think it’s pretty well blown out now but, you’re shooting yourself and others in the foot by this irresponsible behavior! If you start posting up public land units on this site, as you did this area, you will get a lot worse treatment than I give!

Good luck!

To others with aspirations, getting with a reputable outfitter is key! Ask for pics and referrals. Beware of the bad actors in this area with 6000-20000 acres charging $10-12000 for a “trophy” hunt! You might not see a chipmunk! Only a few places in hundreds of square miles hold elk year round. They certainly pass through a lot of properties but, it might only be for a moment in time or during times when they have water in the tanks. Big bull pics around feeders don’t mean a whole lot after the water dries up on a lot of properties.

Last edited:
Silas, your ego is bigger than your brain if you want to go back there to hunt someday! Your last illustrative post on this same hunt was taken down because it had the potential to kill the spot. Demand far exceeds elk supply in wtx and hunt prices have risen dramatically since you posted this same story a few months back! It’s amazing how many people see these posts! I’m fairly connected with several outfitters on the big ranches in the area. Your post and another on bowsite (maybe you there?) about the same time frame created a “phone ringing off the hook” moment for most wtx outfitters. They booked up a few years more, as a result, with a hell of a price increase.
My guys (likely one of the neighboring properties you mentioned) are $18500 for 2026 trophy hunt. I paid $8500 for same hunt in 2019 & 2022. I don’t mind paying but, I’m a regular customer and outside of 2026, I will not be able to hunt there again until 2029. That’s right! The best properties are booked out 5 years now!
i think it’s pretty well blown out now but, you’re shooting yourself and others in the foot by this irresponsible behavior! If you start posting up public land units on this site, as you did this area, you will get a lot worse treatment than I give!

Good luck!

To others with aspirations, getting with a reputable outfitter is key! Ask for pics and referrals. Beware of the bad actors in this area with 6000-20000 acres charging $10-12000 for a “trophy” hunt! You might not see a chipmunk! Only a few places in hundreds of square miles hold elk year round. They certainly pass through a lot of properties but, it might only be for a moment in time or during times when they have water in the tanks. Big bull pics around feeders don’t mean a whole lot after the water dries up on a lot of properties.
Maybe he is an outfitter and this is a marketing post?

Weldor

WKR
Hire a Robinson to fly you into the public area would be less than paying $18500 out of FT Stockton.

OP
S

Good luck!

Interesting response. I am not a outfitter or affiliated with any outfitters. I checked with several West Texas outfitters. have not found one charging the prices you stated. I have followed west texas elk hunts for years and it is not "new" that they are booked 2 years or more out. That has been the norm.
Also, going back in october for elk in west texas and it was booked just a few months ago lol. And not paying the prices you stated either. Its not cheap by any means but my post did not change a thing.

OP
S

Good luck!

What is also funny is that you think someone looking for a elk hunt cant "google" where the elk reside in west texas. It would take my 11 year old 5 minutes to tell me what areas hold elk in west texas. And guess what, its ALL private, and its ALL expensive to hunt. Also, if you take the time to read my post you will see that it was not a EASY or guaranteed hunt! We were lucky to get it done the 3rd day on a 4 day hunt. For what I paid, it was actually disappointing that after 3 days we had only seen 2 cows that MAY have been on the ranch we were hunting. It would take a idiot to then call outfitters after my post and be willing to pay 18k for that experience lol.

OP
S
Solid bull and write-up.

Mind me asking what outfitter it was and what area in West Texas (WT is almost half the statete)? Did elk rut around the same time as they do in western states?
This identical post was shared here before, within the last year, I don't remember the date. Strange that it's been reposted.
I was not able to find my old post and it made me wonder if I even made a post about it. i did a post about my croatia red stag hunt from last september and did not recall ever posting the elk. I love to give honest experiences and reviews. Im not giving anything away on private ground. It takes 5 minutes to figure out that there are elk in west texas and I do not think that it needs to be a secret. Texas outfitters are literally advertising nationwide on social media that they have free range elk hunts lol. I dont think my post did much and it was not even a super succesful hunt if you read my post so if someone reads my experience and wants to pay crazy money to see 3 elk in 3 days on the ranch you can hunt, then I guess go for it.