Went to the darkside.

Its like a friend telling me he is gay. I'm happy he is happy. I do not understand his personal choice but I support him. LOL

Seriously Whatever keeps you in the game man. Personally I would just pick up rifle since your going to have to share a season with them anyway.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
IGWT, I totally agree! If it's Fair chase and it's hunting, get after it. The anti's love when we fight with each other.

Slim Jim

WKR
More power to you SHTF. I think it's great that you are still able to hunt. I'm sure when the day comes that I'm not able to draw and hold a steady shot that I'll probably switch to a smokepole. Good luck!

The crossbow crowd will try to tell you they're just as hard to use as a vertical bow.

In their next breath, they'll try to tell you we need to allow them in archery season because they're easier to use for old and young people.

Well what is it? Are they easier or just as hard?

I've shot a few of em, pretty damn easy if you ask me. Only downfall to them is the noise. X-bows are faster, more accurate (pretty much pick up and shoot, like a rifle).

horseshoe

FNG
I don't use a crossbow but my buddy does here out east....he's 62 and has blown out both shoulders. He's had major surgeries on both.

He can and must shoot a vertical bow to hunt colorado. But, because of the surgeries, we had to turn the poundage down twice last year during the hunt because he couldn't pull it back after hiking the mountains with a pack. He was quite depressed! I believe he runs a risk of tearing those tendons off his bones with every shot!

As to the big advantage, you still have to make the shot. He, and others I've known, have blown "chip" shots with with these marvels!

He loves to bow hunt. I will hate to lose my bowhunting buddy on western hunts when can't pull the compound back anymore!

horseshoe

FNG
From my previous post... I had read quickly thru many of the previous posts and missed the one about accommodation permits. I didn't know about these permits, although I thought he had inquired about a crossbow permit. As I mentioned earlier, he can still draw a compound back, with risks of re-injury, but at the very low end of the poundage requirements and even then he stiffens up and can't draw. He just wants to bow hunt elk(I know, I know, It ain't a bow!). I'll have him inquire about these. Anyone know if he has a chance to get one? I would think this does not fall under the "disability that significantly impairs major life functions" clause and is why he said he couldn't get a permit.

I was wondering how long it would take for these threads to carry over from other sites to this one! LOL

The only good thing about a crossbow is that it allows Handicapped and otherwise unabled body folks the opportunity to hunt during the bow season. All the rest should be using a hand drawn, vertical bow.

horseshoe

FNG
Here we go, hijacking the thread again!

This should not be a big issue. Traditional shooters usually think the same about compound bows. Flintlock / sidelock shooters think the same about inline muzzleloaders, shotgunners the same about rifle shooters. If you don't like a style or weapon, don't do it. Hunt or shoot your own way, be proud and be happy.

Should we ban treestand hunters because Swede has a 90% success rate on elk? Should we ban calling because we are audibly baiting the animals?

Why should this be a big deal in a place like Colorado where archery hunters have to share the woods with muzzy hunters and most on these sites say it is not a big deal?

on, and on and on........I just don't get it! I still say that's a nice BOW! (and remember, I don't use one!)

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
This is a sensitive subject, and I think I will start a thread where everybody can air their opinions on the issue.

It does look like a nice crossbow. I haven't used one myself.

CC Im all about keeping the Archery season to the Vertical hunters. I see no harm in that at all, If anything I believe the Crossbow community should have their own season also. Its comparing rifle to Muzzle loader season really.

I hear ya, and apologize if my original post was assuming you were implying they should be allowed in archery season.

Im just adamantly opposed to letting "anything and everything" into special seasons. I oppose x-bows in archery season, just as I oppose powered scopes and smokeless powders in muzzleloader seasons and things like bow mounted rangefinders or string jacks in archery season. They're standalone, "special" seasons for a reason. Most states already have "anything goes" seasons, and its called general or rifle season.

Sometimes, I just want to tell the people that feel we should allow all this stuff in special seasons (theyre out there) that we should just call Sept 1 through whenever "hunting season", or "free for all", and just let everyone use whatever the hell they want.

I empathize with your situation. I think id cry if I couldnt shoot a bow anymore. In fact, its a big reason I quite rodeoing. I knew I was doing irreversible damage to my shoulder, and when I couldnt draw a 70 lb bow back, it was time to say bye bye to the broncs.