went swimming

bnsafe

WKR
for the first time in years to keep the wt off my knee. wow, thought i was in good shape, but good thing i dont have to breaststroke to the elk. kicked my butt and i thought i was in decent shape for an older guy.

Aubery

FNG
Swimming is much effective to get in shape. Because swimming is best cardio exercise that
help you in burn fat and extra calories from the body.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
One tip on swimming is relax. When I started I would see 70 year old ladies swim contunius for an hour without stopping and I could go 15 minutes. Once someone told me to relax, what a difference it made. I feel like I could swim as far as I can walk now.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I too have been trying to hit the pool at least a couple times each week, both to add variety to my indoor workouts (spring hasn't sprung up here in AK yet) and to help me prepare for my first sprint triathalon this spring. I swam a lot as a kid, but hadn't done it consistently in 15+ years. I was amazed at how low impact it was (no stress to joints at all) and also how winded I got by giving it 100% for a full 10 laps (500m which is what I need to do for my Tri). I find it interesting that the sensation is totally different, in that the water tempers that hot and sweaty feeling I get when exercising out of the water, which seems to make it easier for me to want to push myself harder in the pool without thinking about fatigue. Been shooting for at least one hour per pool session, and attempting multiple strokes at rounds of 10 laps per type. When I start to feel fatigued, I do a lap or two with the kick board to really work my legs.

Loving the chance to mix up my workouts a bit, but I am with you bnsafe....glad I don't have to swim after the critters I chase :)

garrenj

FNG
RosinBag pinned it on relaxing. I started swimming again about a month ago to train for a sprint tri in May. I don't think I had swam in a pool since high school and after a couple of laps I thought I was going to drown. Once I remembered to relax and have fun, it went much better. It's been a great addition to the workout routine. Like Becca said it's a totally different feeling, and hitting the hot tub after is a nice bonus.