Went in for Moose, came out with a Ram.

WRO

WKR
5 seconds of running number and I'm guessing you have a Book ram..

Congrats

Have you had anyone put a score on him? Curious what a 38x16 ram would tape out too, hard to believe a dall with 16'' bases.

Bambistew

WKR
Have you had anyone put a score on him? Curious what a 38x16 ram would tape out too, hard to believe a dall with 16'' bases.
ADFG recorded this ram at 12 7/8 (assuming it was recorded and entered correctly at 16).

I don't have 100% faith that their records being correct. The information that gets entered into their database is not really reviewed, nor is there really a way to check it, other than looking at paper copies and comparing to the electronic data. I know it has a lot of errors and omissions. I've looked at it in depth for years, and I'd bet that 15% or more of the data has missing information or is incorrect. For instance they have rams with 30" bases... which is likely transposed for length, but no one checks that stuff. The last few yers' of data seems to be a lot better, but they still have base measurements entered to that are not to the nearest 1/8"

The total harvest isn't 100% either, its close, but I know it includes some duplicates. I have no idea why, maybe two different people entering the same information from different offices? The date of kill may be different but everything else is exactly the same.

An audit of their data would be interesting, but if you're just looking at trends, since its all messeded up it should present the same messed up results. :D

Last edited:
OP
z987k

z987k

WKR
I have not, it's at the taxidermist.

ADFG recorded this ram at 12 7/8 (assuming it was recorded and entered correctly at 16).

I don't have 100% faith that their records being correct. The information that gets entered into their database is not really reviewed, nor is there really a way to check it, other than looking at paper copies and comparing to the electronic data. I know it has a lot of errors and omissions. I've looked at it in depth for years, and I'd bet that 15% or more of the data has missing information or is incorrect. For instance they have rams with 30" bases... which is likely transposed for length, but no one checks that stuff. The last few yers' of data seems to be a lot better, but they still have base measurements entered to that are not to the nearest 1/8"

The total harvest isn't 100% either, its close, but I know it includes some duplicates. I have no idea why, maybe two different people entering the same information from different offices? The date of kill may be different but everything else is exactly the same.

An audit of their data would be interesting, but if you're just looking at trends, since its all messeded up it should present the same messed up results. :D
About 3 people came and measured it and agreed to the stats, so, I assume they know what they're doing.

Bambistew

WKR
I have not, it's at the taxidermist.

About 3 people came and measured it and agreed to the stats, so, I assume they know what they're doing.
As I said assuming it was recorded correctly. The only 16yo ram in the stats for YR22 is recorded as having 12-7/8 bases and 38-1/8 length. So the age and length matched, but not the mass. They very well could have incorrectly recorded it, wouldn't be the first time. I'm not sure there has ever been a ram killed with 16" bases? There are none in the record book I quickly scanned. That would be something.

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
As I said assuming it was recorded correctly. The only 16yo ram in the stats for YR22 is recorded as having 12-7/8 bases and 38-1/8 length. So the age and length matched, but not the mass. They very well could have incorrectly recorded it, wouldn't be the first time. I'm not sure there has ever been a ram killed with 16" bases? There are none in the record book I quickly scanned. That would be something.
Was this the 16 year old sheep that F&G aged at 14yo? I may have my sheep mixed up, but I believe that this is the one that several experts aged at 16, but F&G only counted 14.

BTW, the expert I am thinking of has more sheep experience than most F&G employees.

OP
z987k

z987k

WKR
I went and found my harvest ticket. You are correct, they put the bases at 12 7/8. I must have put 16 when I wrote that due to reading the age twice.

OP
z987k

z987k

WKR
Was this the 16 year old sheep that F&G aged at 14yo? I may have my sheep mixed up, but I believe that this is the one that several experts aged at 16, but F&G only counted 14.

BTW, the expert I am thinking of has more sheep experience than most F&G employees.
No, they wrote 16.

akbrett

FNG
where are you seeing harvest data from yr22?

the most recent i can find on adfg website is from 21