Weighted inserts why?

sndmn11

WKR
Take the GT .246 aluminum insert. It's almost 3" long and 50 gr. It should weaken the shaft because it's heavier, but it will actually stiffen the shaft reaction as opposed to the lighter standard insert.

I shot a recurve from 2005ish to 2016, so about when brass inserts were becoming prevalent. It took oodles of TradGangers years and years to think about this concept and years more to accept it.

I shot a recurve from 2005ish to 2016, so about when brass inserts were becoming prevalent. It took oodles of TradGangers years and years to think about this concept and years more to accept it.

It actually was common with footers, if using the right footer. That's where I first learned about it.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
I have a short draw length and use weighted inserts, or a regular insert with Gold Tip F.A.C.T. weights, to get my total arrow weight exactly where I want it. I actually prefer to just use "standard" 12 grain inserts and then add the weight I want to the back of them with the GT FACT weights.

If I just used standard 12 grain inserts with the GT .246" arrows I use, I'd be lucky to hit 400 grains of total arrow weight with a standard 100 grain head or even a 125 head, unless I left the arrows pretty long.

You can tune your arrows to your bow, or tune your bow to your arrows (with a compound). I generally just get the arrow weight where I want it, with FOC somewhere around 11%-14%, and then adjust the bow to shoot them well. Seems less tedious to me to just adjust the bow.

But I certainly don't think you "wasted your money", a higher arrow weight doesn't hurt a thing unless you often take unknown yardage shots and need tight trajectory for yardage judging errors.
It gains you penetration potential, especially with a wide cut mechanical or when the shot isn't exactly where you want it.

Ah... just wasted some cash then. Perfect
Are you talking heavy inserts or inserts that accept screw in weights?

If the latter, I like them because it gives me a ton of broadhead options in many weights

I may build an arrow around shooting 180gr GK xl’s, but I can also shoot any 100gr mech, or whatever, or 125gr with 50gr insert weight, or 150gr head and a 25gr weight (don’t care about 5 gr difference at all)

Just makes my arrow more versatile, I have grown to like that system a lot

This year I’m probably switching and already miss the flexibility

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
Are you talking heavy inserts or inserts that accept screw in weights?

If the latter, I like them because it gives me a ton of broadhead options in many weights

I may build an arrow around shooting 180gr GK xl’s, but I can also shoot any 100gr mech, or whatever, or 125gr with 50gr insert weight, or 150gr head and a 25gr weight (don’t care about 5 gr difference at all)

Just makes my arrow more versatile, I have grown to like that system a lot

This year I’m probably switching and already miss the flexibility
Uh.... I have no idea. The bow shop is putting 3- 50 grain brass in 3 arrows. 100 grain inserts in other 3 arrows. Only thing I know about the inserts are....they are brass and tge weights..