Weight loss

Ronster

Lil-Rokslider
Beer was my vice. I havent had a beer in 3 months now and I went from 204 to 179. Im almost at my fighting weight which is good with sheep season only 2 weeks away :) I hit the gym 6 days a week, mostly treadmill for an hour with some stepper mixed in for good fun. Ive cut my calories down from 2500 a day to somewhere around 1800.

Tag stew

Lil-Rokslider
First let me say congrats on the weight loss so far, I do suggest slowing down your goal though. While it is possible, its not recommended for what your trying to achieve, which sounds like a healthier more mobile lifestyle. Just a couple of suggestion for what they are worth, your calorie intake is way too low for your weight, I know you said you feel ok now but you will lose a lot of muscle like this. Also keep a food log, everything you eat or drink write it down, you will be surprised about your calorie intake. Also after your workouts try and replenish your glycogen levels that were depleted during workout with some carbs and sugars(natural), this should be done within an hour after workout. Also I have seen "cheat days" turn disasterous and counter productive I like the idea of a cheat meal once a week instead. The comments above about 5-6 small meals are great advice gotta keep the system burning without major blood sugar spikes. I hope this helps and once again these are just my opinions and suggestion take them for what they are worth. Good luck and keep up the hard work!!!

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
Remember its best to have most of your calories at the beginning of the day and decrease throughout the day. You need to eat more than 4 times a day including shakes. Sometimes when you hit a wall and you are working out hard if you increase your good calories you will start to loose weight again. Working out hard and having minimal calories will sometime tick your body into a state where it wont let your body loos any more weight. Also don't get too focused on your weight but more so on your size and fitness level.

Go see a nutritionist with a detailed log of what you eat for the last 2 weeks and how long and how hard you worked out or were active.

Ricky

FNG
Exercise is best idea for losing weight. It is the most effective method for losing weight. If you want to lose weight then do exercise daily. Cardio exercises like running,jogging,cycling,swimming,jumping rope all are good for this purpose.
lakecountybootcamps gym

Last edited:
Chad44

I am currently a nutritionist and thought I’d offer my two cents. Based off the information given (obviously I have never met you so I don’t know your physical, medical or mental status thus I just took a basic outline approach. Therefore I must go off your activity lvl and BMI. If you have a medical concern, will cause a change in the amount of nutrients you need. I had to assume that you have no medical conditions to address). In general, losing more than 1.5 lbs a month is BAD for your body and can lead to an increased risk for malnutrition. Malnutrition is a potential cause for anything from the common cold to deadly diseases therefore, stay away from losing more than 27 lbs within the next 6 months unless under the guidance of a medical professional. You are right in your belief that losing weight boils down to intake vs output. Intake is the foods/ drinks you eat compared to the output, or the calories you burn per day through basic bodily function and exercise. As long as there is a deficit, technically you will lose weight. Think of this as a bank account… your intake is your salary, your output is your expenses and your fat stores is your savings account. If you “spend more” than you add to your bank account, you will drain your account. In losing weight, this is what you desire. To do this I assessed your BMI (which may vary slightly based off your body fat ratio and lean muscle mass- which I cant assess without meeting you) and your activity level. BTW, great choice in picking crossfit! Its an awesome way to work out and assists in muscle and bone growth/ maintenance. Your BMI is currently 33. BMI is defined as your body mass index. I found that based off your weight of 112 kg (247 lbs) and your height. To assess the amount of calories you should consume per day is done by taking into account your weight, activity level, activity type, height, age, and other factors. To maintain your weight currently, you should be intaking (adding to your bank account) a range of 3000- 3200 calories per day. To lose weight at a rate of 1 lb per week (a healthy rate) subtract 500 calories per day for a week. 3,500 calories = 1 lb of weight loss. 500 calories X 7 days= 3,500 calorie deficient. This would be a total of 2,500 – 2,700 kcal per day. I would caution you about trying to increase weight loss by decreasing your intake of calories. I calculated your BMR (basal metabolic rate), the amount of calories your body needs to complete minimum processes, such as pumping your heart or fuel your cells. Now if you were to drop below this, it doesn’t mean that your heart will stop pumping but you are causing stress to your body and over time this will decrease your metabolism causing you to gain weight faster and will decrease your chances of losing weight. Your BMR was 2,500 calories. So if you drop below that for a period of time, it will throw your body into starvation mode meaning that when you begin eating more than that later on, your body will program itself to basically store everything you intake out of fear that this starvation could occur again. The safer way to drop weight faster as well as gain lean body mass is to work out as well as decreasing the 500 calories. This will increase the deficit without sending your body into “starvation mode.” Because the calories from foods are not numerous enough to be used as fuel during your workout it will have to use muscle (but mostly fat) stores as a source of fuel. I also calculated your fluid intake you should strive for. It’s a basic understanding in the nutritional world that if your body is dehydrated, you cant burn fat, thus you wont lose weight the way you want to. Basically you should consume 1 ml for every kcal you consume. Ie: you should intake about 2.5 L per day. This translates to 2/3 of a gallon. Another rule of thumb is for every pound of wt loss during an activity requires an intake of 16 fl oz after the workout. If you can weigh yourself before and after a workout to see how much water weight you lost during the workout. Make sure to replenish it.

For breakfasts, to jump start your metabolism, eat a dense complex carb diet such as whole grain oatmeal, cereal (not sugar filled) with a glass of juice. If you work out in the mornings, make this into your protein shake by grinding up oatmeal, bananas, protein power, fruits etc. For a snack, make it a vegetable such as carrots which are high in Vit A (needed for your eye sight etc) but also are very fibrous making it a great filler. Lunch should be your “heaviest” meal of the day because this is typically where you should intake the most amount of calories during your meal. Take in carbs, protein (if you didn’t consume the protein shake in the morning), and your healthy fats. For the second snack, you can range from peanut butter and a fruit to crackers/ cheese etc. For dinner, always make it light because if your body is still in the process of digesting while your sleeping, your body will store all the calories it digests as fat rather than burning it for fuel. Also make sure you have about 3 hours to digest before going to bed. The bigger the dinner, the longer time you should wait before sleeping.

Hope it helps and gives you a better idea of what you should be consuming/ not consuming so that you can lose weight in a healthy way.

MissHighcountry_Hellrazor

2ski

WKR
I assume where you said more than 1.5 lbs per month weight loss is bad for you is a misprint? It should be per week? Otherwise I think a lot of us are really unhealthy.

I assume where you said more than 1.5 lbs per month weight loss is bad for you is a misprint? It should be per week? Otherwise I think a lot of us are really unhealthy.

Haha yes. Thank you. That was a typo. If that was the case, I'd be considered unhealthy too.

The correct statement is "1.5 lbs per week"

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
Obviously not all calories are created equal either. I would rather have higher fat, more protein and vegetable calories myself as I feel fuller longer and eat less in total. Full fat yogurt with frozen blueberries we picked is one of my favorite snacks or dessert. Another pet issue I have is suggesting chicken. This is an hunting site! Eat organic lean proteins like elk, moose, deer, salmon et. why get in shape to go do it and not take advantage of it? In all seriousness from the limited study of it I've done chicken is higher in "bad" fats than lean free range red meat. And "diet" food gets boring in a hurry. Learn to cook well and you'll eat well and healthy for the rest of your life.

Technically ALL calories are considered equal because they all are sources of energy that the body uses as fuel. A calorie from fat is the exact same as a calorie from a carbohydrate source when pertaining to how your body uses it to fuel itself. That's the problem of giving nutritional advice without proper education. Its the main cause of "fad diets" and societies confusion. I don't want anyone to be mislead and calories, and their "weight." There are terms such as "nutrient dense" or "calorie dense" foods that state the ratio of calories to nutrients. The "better" option is nutrient dense foods (such as spinach) compared to calorie dense (i.e. your big mac). Your "full fat yogurt" is one of those "calorie dense" foods considering that you are intaking about 12% of your total saturated fat intake for the day rather than eating a non-fat yogurt that only contains 0.2g of saturated fats, or about 1% of your total intake of saturated fats. That is not healthy considering that just about everything else you eat that day (depending on your diet) will cause you to intake more sat fats than you want/ need leading to increased risk of heart disease and stroke (among many other things) because it increases the amount of triglycerides in your blood - which leads to clotting- and raises your total cholesterol level. The smarter option, Pacific-23, would be to eat the non-fat yogurt, which still has the same amount of protein, with your blueberries rather than your full fat. If the texture is the problem, add some protein power to thicken it.

Also, I NEVER suggested chicken in my response to Chad44, or really any specific foods. As a nutritionalist, its my job to teach, not to tell someone exactly what to eat. It wouldn't help anyone if I told them what to eat for the rest of their lives w/out explaining why. One cannot eat full fat yogurt every day for the rest of their life and expect to be healthy, nor will they be considered "not healthy." Its a complicated thing with hundreds of variables. Yes, chicken is a great option, for Chad44 as well as everyone (including myself) because it IS less fatty than many other choices on the market today. Comparing the nutritional differences, each 100g, with deer (the most common kill for hunters) vs chicken breast: Sorry, in my extensive study, I as well as many other people in the medical field, have found that chicken is considered more lean. Deer does have more protein and in my opinion, tastes much better. But some people don't get one every year and have to make due with what they can buy at a store, or use from last year. I have 2 elk, and 2 deer in my house now. I eat them many times a week but variety is the best advice I can give someone about nutrition. Variety includes eating something other than red meat, it includes fish, chicken and other sources of proteins, fat and CHOs.

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers sorry. I understand at the endof the day the calorie count is important-simple thermodynamics. Also was fairly tongue in cheek about the chicken. I used to eat lots of low fat yogurt but I found for me I fell fuller and eat less over the entire day if I have a small bowl of the full fat. Again sorry you found my post so offensive.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I would still take ice cream calories over broccoli calories:)

Haha. So would I. (Especially if its in a milkshake). I mean a milkshake has calcium, potassium, phosphorus and protein right? Thus it should be considered "healthy" lol haha