Weed eater string to increase arrow weight

You are young or haven't faced the struggle of rural archery tinkering then.

This is a fact, I was recently approached by a PH that has a requirement for his clients to shoot 900-1200gr setups on hippos and game of this sort, Paracord or weed eater cord is the easiest solution for those shooting high poundage setups on the dark continent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll do it but only because I’m cheap. If I have older arrows that are in good shape but lighter I’ll do it. Never had a problem with it, but then again I’d never hunt with them. Only for targets.

Nothing like bunching up some weed eater cord and sticking it into you .001 straight arrows. I'm sure you won't notice "much" of a difference until AT LEAST 7-8 yards

What most seem to misunderstand is, when carbons came onto the scene they were extremely light, especially compared to the 2219/2117 logs most of us shot. Trying to get an arrow heavy enough wasn't as easy as it is now.

I have used weight tubes in the past and have read about the weed eater string. Also if you have done any reading (or tinkering yourself) about ultra-heavy arrows for buff/elephant then you have come across all kinds of weird things. One arrow stacked inside another or even filling arrows with sand are some of the methods I remember.

Sure nowadays you can get heavy arrows and components but not so long ago you had to use your imagination a little bit.

Outdoor life article says put 3 strands in full length to add weight.

personally I’d rather get some heavier inserts or new arrows

Funny, that article was about me and what I did to hunt Musk Ox the second time I went after them. It worked well... 2016 Musk Ox.JPG

$15 for a dozen weight tubes that actually fit your arrows.....

I doubt it’s worth saving $.25 an arrow for using that cord but OK.

—-
I did that with two arrows and just shot them last weekend out to 140 and they worked fine for target. Don’t be so upset man. Their not your arrows haha.

Everyone just gonna ignore this?

Hahaha no one wants to be confused by facts, threads like this are a great filter for those that can and have; and those who show their cards of ignorance. It unfortunately makes the former want to post less and less. If it were really a bunch of sh*t than @Nick Muche wouldnt have done it, but there he is with one more musk ox (and a lot more other dead stuff) than everyone critical of the idea. I get it though; you've gotta play to the audience that thinks you need a 65$ arrow setup and 10 cents of talent to kill an animal.

Hahaha no one wants to be confused by facts, threads like this are a great filter for those that can and have; and those who show their cards of ignorance. It unfortunately makes the former want to post less and less. If it were really a bunch of sh*t than @Nick Muche wouldnt have done it, but there he is with one more musk ox (and a lot more other dead stuff) than everyone critical of the idea. I get it though; you've gotta play to the audience that thinks you need a 65$ arrow setup and 10 cents of talent to kill an animal.

What if I only have a ten cent arrow and ten cent of talent?

The paper spits the arrow back at me.

I think more animals are dead from shitty Bear/PSE's and $3 Easton shafts than anything else combined.

I know for a fact my brother has doubled the pile of animals I have, using a 20 yr old Hoyt and whatever GT arrows he can get at Rodgers with walmart broadheads.

I think more animals are dead from shitty Bear/PSE's and $3 Easton shafts than anything else combined.

I know for a fact my brother has doubled the pile of animals I have, using a 20 yr old Hoyt and whatever GT arrows he can get at Rodgers with walmart broadheads.

I definitely get sucked into premium stuff. Some of it is worth it, some of it isn't.

The problem with a lot of the "crappy" stuff isn't that it's crappy at all, just the user doesn't care. The side effect of caring is a lot of times you end up paying a lot more for marginal gains.

I have had and seen bad experiences with cheap equipment, if you know what you are looking at you can sort thru and find cheap stuff that works. Also just because you pay a premium for something, don't always mean it's going to work better or even as good as something else.

lol Day Made, I am not afraid to pay for products if my needs determine I need it. Louie Simmons said it best "It doesn't pay to be strong in the wrong areas" and the more I read; the more I feel like some folks simply don't know what they don't know. Now if you'll excuse me I am going to go answer more questions on Spine and FOC.....

I definitely get sucked into premium stuff. Some of it is worth it, some of it isn't.

The problem with a lot of the "crappy" stuff isn't that it's crappy at all, just the user doesn't care. The side effect of caring is a lot of times you end up paying a lot more for marginal gains.

I have had and seen bad experiences with cheap equipment, if you know what you are looking at you can sort thru and find cheap stuff that works. Also just because you pay a premium for something, don't always mean it's going to work better or even as good as something else.
100%. I am sliding back towards the middle from the rabbithole, where I was paying the big bucks for diminishing results. I think I will be good for awhile now.

Back