Weatherby Weathermark LT or Back Country?

gerry35

WKR
Going to be getting a left hand 270 Weatherby from their custom shop. Two models they offer in that caliber are the Back Country (not the Ti version) and Weathermark LT. It appears that the only real difference between them is the stock which is much lighter on the Back Country. I'm wondering for those who have actually handled them (I have not and won't get a chance before ordering) what are your opinions on how they handle. I'm wondering if the Weathermark LT will be butt heavy. There is a pretty significant difference in weight between them, 6.3 lbs vs 7.2 lbs but I would be happy with either and am leaning towards the Weathermark LT if it handles well. Thanks in advance.

I’ve never handled them, but the back country stock looks a lot straighter than the weathermark. (Almost like an X bolt). Just something to look for, since X Bolt stocks don’t fit me right.

OP
gerry35

gerry35

WKR
Yes, the Back Country stock is a much different profile compared to the Weathermark LT. I have had both Monte Carlo style stocks like the Sako Hunter's and 700 BDL and straight stocks like the 700 SPS, McMillan Hunter's Edge and Christensen Arms Mesa also fit well. Like you the Browning's feel a bit weird to me.

2five7

WKR
I have a Weathermark LT in 6.5 RPM and absolutely love it. Mine is 5 lbs 14 oz bare, handles like a dream. 7.5 lbs with rings, ammo, and a 3-18 vx6. Paid $1399 new last October.b

I specifically wanted the 6 lug action since it's a full pound lighter.

The only thing that surprised me was the stock color, it's greener than pics, but it's grown on me.

Last edited:

letrbuck

WKR
I've got a 6 lug backcountry, and my hunting buddy has a 9 lug LT. His LT is well balanced, not butt heavy

IMO the LT is the better option for a magnum chambering. Still light, but not superlight. A good middle ground for lightness, stability, and enough heft to calm recoil a bit when you're burning that much powder

OP
gerry35

gerry35

WKR
I have a Weatherman LT in 6.5 RPM and absolutely love it. Mine is 5 lbs 14 oz bare, handles like a dream. 7.5 lbs with rings, ammo, and a 3-18 vx6. Paid $1399 new last October.b

I specifically wanted the 6 lug action since it's a full pound lighter.

The only thing that surprised me was the stock color, it's greener than pics, but it's grown on me.
Thanks, sounds like you really like your rifle. Those 6 lug actions sure make a nice and light rifle, not available in left hand yet but I should mention it to my friend. He would love a light gun, in 6.5 RPM or 280 AI would be the perfect sheep and goat gun.
I've got a 6 lug backcountry, and my hunting buddy has a 9 lug LT. His LT is well balanced, not butt heavy

IMO the LT is the better option for a magnum chambering. Still light, but not superlight. A good middle ground for lightness, stability, and enough heft to calm recoil a bit when you're burning that much powder
Thanks for the info that makes it easy to make the decision to stay with the LT model. Should make a comfortable to shoot 270 Wby even with heavier bullets.

letrbuck

WKR
Thanks, sounds like you really like your rifle. Those 6 lug actions sure make a nice and light rifle, not available in left hand yet but I should mention it to my friend. He would love a light gun, in 6.5 RPM or 280 AI would be the perfect sheep and goat gun.

Thanks for the info that makes it easy to make the decision to stay with the LT model. Should make a comfortable to shoot 270 Wby even with heavier bullets.

You'll love it. And if it's anything like our 2 rifles, it'll shoot tight little groups that will put a big smile on your face