Ways to holster your side arm to bag or self during elk hunt

I have been using a HPG heavy Recon Kit bag for my pistol/tags/wind checker/ battery pack etc. they are great, and side benefit of how I am running it I can switch pistols depending on what I am doing, I also use this for hiking, early morning walks with the dog etc. and as for the straps wadding up with pack scraps etc. they are thin single thickness webbing so I barely notice.
My reason for getting one was to get stuff off my waist, I am fat(working on that) and to spend a day walking around with a pistol attached to my pants belt meant I had to synch my belt tight which meant after about 1-2 hours of walking around the hills of eastern KY my hips were toast and after walking back down I was stiff and hurting, by getting everything off my belt and using suspenders it made the same terrain much more comfortable for all day movement

Also the grim locks on the shoulder straps to attach it to a packs strapS work great turned back toward the body and clipped around my suspenders to keep them from sliding down my shoulders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
Gun FIghters Chest harness behind my bino harness. Works great.

i-wtGNCZ3-X3.jpg

Does that mount to the FHF?

mtblackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Creekside mercantile chest holster and glock 20 with extreme penetrator ammo. Only way I will go out here in Montana.

Sobrbiker

WKR
I keep my pistol in a Kifaru medium pouch on my pack’s belt, and a nylon thumb break holster with a spring steel belt clip in the lid of my pack.
Only time I have a use for a nylon holster...

def90

WKR
Hill People Gear Recon pack.. with the Hill People Gear Bino pouch attached to the front of it. Room for your handgun and use the rest of the pack for your first aid gear and any other small items that you need throughout the day that you don’t want to have to take off your pack to get to.

Last edited:

Kravur

FNG
Good informative thread. Several options out there. Does anyone run a holster directly attached to the back side of a bino pack harness?

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I holster my Glock-20 on my pack's hip belt.
When processing game, my binoc harness & pack are off.
This Vedder Holster just clips off and clips onto my pants belt. Not that easy to unclip as it has a clip retainer molded in, takes me a minute to undo. Layered on Stealth Strip to quiet down brush noise against Kydex holster material.

2024.glock holstered.jpg

fmyth

WKR
Gunfighters Inc Kenai chest holster under my bino harness. I can drop my pack and bino harness and still have my side arm on me while field dressing an animal.

Razco holster attached below bino harness. Side arm is always on you when u take your pack off. Works great and doesn’t obstruct me when shooting my bow.

I use a rut holster. Dude custom makes them for your pistol. Has 2 different mounting options on the holster. One is for on your hip belt. The other option is on the bottom of your bino harness. I run a kifaru bino harness. Holster clips right through the webbing on the bottom of the bino harness and ready to go.

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
I have a holster attached to the bottom of my bino harness. It is completely out of the way, but very accessible. Brand is Marsupial Gear.

CBar

FNG
I’ve mounted mine to the back of my FHF bino harness - heavy duty 3M 15# Velcro, Kydex Holster, foam padding and lots of practice. You don’t need a $40 bear spray holster just use a little gorilla tape and you’ve got everything you need. I run this for all of archery and shed seasons here in NW Wyoming, and anytime I’m hunting alone or headed to go pack meat for a friend.

Attachments

• 373AAAF9-357B-4F6F-A4EE-56709DF44501.jpeg
    373AAAF9-357B-4F6F-A4EE-56709DF44501.jpeg
    390.2 KB · Views: 38
  • B7BC1C34-7094-4AE5-9573-05C4FCC62491.jpeg
    B7BC1C34-7094-4AE5-9573-05C4FCC62491.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 38

Kravur

FNG
I holster my Glock-20 on my pack's hip belt.
When processing game, my binoc harness & pack are off.
This Vedder Holster just clips off and clips onto my pants belt. Not that easy to unclip as it has a clip retainer molded in, takes me a minute to undo. Layered on Stealth Strip to quiet down brush noise against Kydex holster material.

View attachment 698600
I appreciate you sharing your setup. I think I will be doing something very similar; running it on the pack and having the ability to remove the holster and run it on my hip.

DaveNC

FNG
I second the Kenia chest holster under the Bino harness. It fits nicely under my Mystery Ranch Bino harness and is comfortable.

Kravur

FNG
Gunfighters Inc Kenai chest holster under my bino harness. I can drop my pack and bino harness and still have my side arm on me while field dressing an animal.
Do you ever find running two set of straps (bino harness and chest holster); and then your pack shoulder straps on top, to much? Does it feel uncomfortable at times?

Kravur

FNG
Razco on bino harness. May drop my pack on stalks, my harnesses is always on me

Razco holster attached below bino harness. Side arm is always on you when u take your pack off. Works great and doesn’t obstruct me when shooting my bow.
I’m also looking into this rather than stacking 3 sets of straps or having it on my hip. Some find it to hang to low, most of y’all say it isn’t a problem. I like the idea of always having the gun on my when I drop my pack.

I have a holster attached to the bottom of my bino harness. It is completely out of the way, but very accessible. Brand is Marsupial Gear.

I appreciate everyone’s input into this thread again. Having more than one persons experience on multiple options helps narrow it down for me. Which hopefully will save me $$ in the long run.