Wayne Hill Outfitters

bonmar

FNG
Looking for any recent references of Wayne Hill Outfitter's in regard to hunting elk in Noxon Montana.

I know Wayne and his wife Annette. God bless her. He’s a rough customer. As with any outfitter it’s more about who the guides are and of course how the elk hunting is in the area. It’s pretty bad up there. Wolves and in the Cabinets grizzlies. Even when the elk populations were good it was tough hunting. Thick. No open country at all. You have to be on top of elk to see them. Guys who killed bulls up there would usually say it was the only one they actually saw. I actually killed my first bull up there back in the Bull River area. Back in the day there were monster bulls up there. Even a couple 400 inchers. Huge mulie bucks and big whitetails too. But those days are gone. A couple guys I know who live in Noxon drive to other parts of the state to hunt. I’m certain you can find a hunt in a better area. Start with finding a place with good hunting then look for an outfitter there.

See the “trout creek MT” thread. It specifically asked about Hill. Below are my thoughts…

I’ll let others speak about Hill specifically if they have 1st hand experience.

As a life long MT hunter with experience living and hunting in NW MT, here are some thoughts.

I would be extremely careful about booking with ANY Outfitter anywhere in W MT, especially NW MT. Promises these guys make are outrageous. If you draw a coveted permit, you’re booking around White Sulphur on a huge exclusive chunk of private, getting packed into the backcountry, etc… you’re getting a unique service for your $. But if you’re 1 of dozens of clients that is going to park at the same gated road, or trail, as every other general tag holder… you are simply not getting anywhere near the service that you are paying for.
I would think long and hard about spending the $ that is being charged to hunt ANY general OTC unit in MT. Even if you have to save and wait another year to book with an Outfitter that can truly provide you with a unique service, I would save and wait. Others may disagree, but be careful with your $. Don’t spend $1000s on snake oil.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Look to the above for honest answers your a decade late in awesome country…..still a chance as they say, but much better and easier places to hunt, with high density elk versus the northwest corner….

Mkal

FNG
I just finished my second archery hunt with Wayne Hill. It is hard and rugged country, but I found the challenge incredibly rewarding. I got a nice bull my first year (2023) and was fully drawn off and on for about an hour this year. We were on a few 300-inch bulls throughout this most recent hunt. As far as the outfitter and guides are concerned, I cannot say enough good things about the camp and the people running it. Others may have different opinions, but I think most people will impressed with the stories and history of this outfitter. It certainly contributes to the uniqueness of the overall experience. Wayne has been in the woods about twice as long as I have been alive. If you have the opportunity and a slot is available, I suggest considering WH.