Waxed dirt

Wheels

WKR
Who makes their own waxed dirt? Getting ready to make some, have watched some YouTube videos and doesn’t look hard. I don’t have a cement mixer so going to try a black tub with cover in the sun method. Any tips or tricks?

JMF

Lil-Rokslider
I currently use a cement mixer and a weed burner. Before this I used a roaster, with either of these methods an infared thermometer is a must to prevent scorching. With the sun method you don't have to worry about that but I would leave the dirt in the sun for a few days to make sure it's completely dry before you add the wax. Laying a 1-2 inch layer out on a 4x8 sheet of plywood works good for this. After a few days add your wax and cover with clear plastic. After the wax is melted and mixed in good, you will want to keep mixing as it cools or you will end up with chunky waxed dirt.

rcb2000

WKR
I made a small batch by throwing a few pounds of sifted dirt into a disposable baking pan, getting it warm/hot in the oven , and then mixing in melted wax by hand. Works fantastic.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I always just used black plastic tubs. I would load them about half full of dirt and put it in the sun on my driveway. I would stir it occasionally until it was dusty dry and then throw a bunch of wax in and let it melt and stir on occasion. I would keep adding wax until I was satisfied with how well it was all coated. It’s not hard and if you buy enough tubs you can make a pile of dirt in a hurry. It never failed I didn’t have enough dirt or enough storage for dirt to get through the whole season so I bought a cheap crock pot and used it to make small batches of dirt throughout the season to remake sets or have for when I moved to new areas. A lot of times when it got real cold and the dirt was hard to dig I would switch to waxed sand and just grab a couple of 5 gallon pails of sand from here at the house. I would dry the sand in aluminum cooking pans on my radiators while I was out on the road and throw it in the crock pot with wax when I got home at night.

Thunder17

FNG
Classified Approved
I use a two burner propane camp stove. Heat the dirt up on one burner and melt the wax with the other burner. When the dirt is good and warm I dump the wax in and mix it up real good. I use thicker rubber gloves while mixing it to keep from burning my hands and getting wax all over them.

wytx

WKR
Don't scorch it.
Low heat or sun works well.
Spouse uses the camp chef 2 burner stove and foil pans.

Loper

WKR
I’ve never heard of waxed dirt or what it is used for. You’ve piqued my interest. Now I’m about to go down the rabbit hole and research this.

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
If your serious about making large quantities the only way to go is a cement mixer and a weed or turkey burner. The cheap mixer I got off harbor freight is still kicking after 7years and alot of dirt.