Wave training for elk hunters

Jaquomo

WKR
10 weeks out and it isn't too late to kick it into gear. This is from my article, "Mountain Fitness for Senior Bowhunters", but it applies to any fitness regimen. As with anything, YMMV.

"Kevin Steele is also a senior mountain bowhunter with a metal hip, who is a personal trainer specializing in hunting fitness (and who held the Colorado state deadlift record). His business is Trinity Fitness (www.trinityfitness.biz). I asked him to outline a realistic basic regimen for seniors. The first bit of advice was, “It’s never too late to get in shape. Get off your butt and get started.” He favors body weight exercises and a kettle bell over machines. But the best thing we can do, he says, is to put on a pack and hike while gradually increasing the load upward from 10 pounds, using a “wave cycle” which gradually increases over four weeks.

His wave cycle starts out with walking one mile twice a week with a 10 pound pack. Week two is 1.5 miles three times with 15 pounds. Week three is two miles four times with 20 lbs. Week four has us doing 2.5 miles five times with 25 lbs. Week five backs down to 1.5 miles three times with 15 pounds before starting the cycle again, and at eight weeks, hike three miles five times with 30 pounds.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks just looked up this article.

I'm going to try and get my 72 year old father to start the wave program. Hopefully it'll put some pep in his step after finally drawing his utah elk tag.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

OP
Jaquomo

Jaquomo

WKR
I'm 70, hunting moose, elk, and deer solo this year. CBG/CBG has been a game changer for me with my joints. I did day 1 of week 4 wave today and have no stiffness or soreness in my joints. Best of luck to your dad with his Utah elk tag.

Paul Navarre, the subject of my article, is now 83 and will be hunting Shiras bulls solo this year. He's still a machine!

Beendare

WKR
Good stuff ....Hiking the hills with a weighted pack is the best training, IMO.

I used to do it with very heavy 80# packs...and that was a bad idea.

I'm 70, hunting moose, elk, and deer solo this year. CBG/CBG has been a game changer for me with my joints. I did day 1 of week 4 wave today and have no stiffness or soreness in my joints. Best of luck to your dad with his Utah elk tag.

Paul Navarre, the subject of my article, is now 83 and will be hunting Shiras bulls solo this year. He's still a machine!
Do you have any old injuries or surgeries that this has helped improve upon?

OP
Jaquomo

Jaquomo

WKR
I had a life of playing competitive sports until my late 30s. I hunted and backpacked all over the west DIY for many weeks at a time. Stuff started to wear out. I was run over by cows and fell and wrecked on horses and a mule and mountain bikes and ATVs, usual outdoor western stuff. Then at 60 I got a new hip that is now 10 years old. I have knee issues that I've pretty much fixed with CBD/ CBG. The stiffness is gone, even after my pack hike and sitting for awhile. I'm very lucky to be pain free.

Since Kevin put that wave thing together for me, it seems to be keeping the "old man" at bay a little. Also his 17 minute focused workout really works well without risking jury.

Last edited:
OP
Jaquomo

Jaquomo

WKR
What's your ratio of cbd to cbg?
Bob, I take the Lazarus full spectrum, high potency 1:1. It has 25 mg of each per ml. I put a dropper with .75 ml under my tongue am and pm. I learned about the synergistic effect of CBD/CBG from my "cannibis technician" daughter, and after researching it, she was correct.

If I go off of it for a couple weeks, the knee stiffness and soreness returns. I just came home from a 2.5 mile pack training hike over a rocky trail, and my knees feel like they they are 30 again.