Waterproofing Reloads

OXN939

WKR
Had never really paid much attention to this, but recently found a few reloads in a shed that received some storm damage and the box had clearly gotten wet. When I pulled the bullets, the powder was slightly wet.

Anyone ever messed with waterproofing their reloads? I imagine the primer is the main weak point to address.

They sell a sealer that you can brush on around the case neck/bullet junction and around the primer/case joint. It comes in a little bottle and uses a little brush like fingernail polish.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Why not just a watertight box?

Do suppose rounds could be exposed to water while in the mag in wet environments. I hunt AK a lot.

They sell a sealer that you can brush on around the case neck/bullet junction and around the primer/case joint. It comes in a little bottle and uses a little brush like fingernail polish.

Yeah I saw that Ranger sealant stuff. Anyone got any experience with it or similar products? Would be an interesting experiment to do one batch with the sealant and one without, and then see if any issues come up after exposing both to moisture

I used to use sealant years ago but I don't remember what brand. Never noticed any difference sealed or not but I don't typically hunt in super wet conditions.

Sled

WKR
Do suppose rounds could be exposed to water while in the mag in wet environments. I hunt AK a lot.

Yeah I saw that Ranger sealant stuff. Anyone got any experience with it or similar products? Would be an interesting experiment to do one batch with the sealant and one without, and then see if any issues come up after exposing both to moisture

I'd be interested in a test on both without the moisture exposure. I'm not as concerned with the primer pocket but adding next tension with a sealer on the projectile might increase pressure. Not sure it would matter but it's worth checking out if you run hot loads.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve had this stuff for a LONG time. Seems like a glorified clear nail polish. No “sealer” is going to raise any pressures.

9AB93723-B4CB-404C-92DA-8B800B713E37.jpeg

279C06D7-9D36-4B95-B480-1AD58AB760B5.jpeg

Rich M

WKR
We used to seal the primers for waterfowl shot shells. Same stuff, clear nail polish pretty much.

Waterproof box is an easy enough idea but may trap moisture if a desicant isnt used.

If i was gonna load a bunch and save for years and years, i would seal primer and bullet. Just cause.

Vern400

WKR
Yes.
Had never really paid much attention to this, but recently found a few reloads in a shed that received some storm damage and the box had clearly gotten wet. When I pulled the bullets, the powder was slightly wet.

Anyone ever messed with waterproofing their reloads? I imagine the primer is the main weak point to address.
I seal all my hunting and defensive ammo. I tested my 308 by throwing 10 cartridges in a mudhole full of water for a week. I dug them up. They grouped perfect. Markon primer sealant from midway. Seal the bullet and the primer. Ps the factory Remington failed to fire. First one. So I pulled bullets and 4 had water in them.

It probably doesn't help any, but I can't prove the sealant hurts accuracy or velocity. Me nor my equipment are good enough to tell a difference.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Yes.

I seal all my hunting and defensive ammo. I tested my 308 by throwing 10 cartridges in a mudhole full of water for a week. I dug them up. They grouped perfect. Markon primer sealant from midway. Seal the bullet and the primer. Ps the factory Remington failed to fire. First one. So I pulled bullets and 4 had water in them.

It probably doesn't help any, but I can't prove the sealant hurts accuracy or velocity. Me nor my equipment are good enough to tell a difference.

Might just have to do a test. Can't imagine how a little sealant around the primer would affect anything with the load's ballistics. Thanks for the input!

WMag338

WKR
Interesting topic. Never thought of this. Following along. Curious, too, about the clear nail polish.

Eric_F

FNG
My understanding is the purpose made sealants are more rubbery, less likely to flake off. Acrylate based in the first example I found.
Screenshot_20221204-114920~2.png
Fingernail polish is nitrocellulose-based, which sounds like it might be tricky to mix with primers and powder.

Last edited:

Vern400

WKR
Might just have to do a test. Can't imagine how a little sealant around the primer would affect anything with the load's ballistics. Thanks for the input!
Gotta seal the bullet. Paint the joint at the case. That's what I thought might impact accuracy but it seems not to.