Waterproof gloves with max dexterity and moderate warmth?

Going on an Alaska moose hunt this Sept and was thinking a pair of waterproof gloves that also allow for as much dexterity as possible would come in handy. Some insulation be nice too, but am definitely not primary function. As breathable as possible too. Was thinking these would be worn in wet conditions while being active. Paddling boat, potentially cleaning moose in water, setting up camp, etc. Additional grip on knife b also be nice.

Maybe these?

Definitely open to suggestions.

Thanks

Last edited:
So, not waterproof, but I wear em duck hunting… army surplus marine issue wool/synthetic with the gripper dots are great and CHEAP! Stay warm and don’t really absorb water. Made by manzilla, get em at an army surplus. I hate gloves, but can run my shotgun and never feel they get in the way. I like em better than kuiu or Sitka -which I have…

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
So, not waterproof, but I wear em duck hunting… army surplus marine issue wool/synthetic with the gripper dots are great and CHEAP! Stay warm and don’t really absorb water. Made by manzilla, get em at an army surplus. I hate gloves, but can run my shotgun and never feel they get in the way. I like em better than kuiu or Sitka -which I have…
Second the wool gloves but also recommend un-lined chopper mitts over top for cold and wet conditions. Leather gloves offer more dexterity but chopper mitts are waaay warmer, have fewer seams, and can be removed easily to get stuff done that requires dexterity. No sub zero warmth glove offers good dexterity. After many years working, hunting, skiing, fishing in the PNW year round I can tell you that the best combo is always wool gloves under some well treated and waterproofed leather mitts. Outdoor research makes some really nice woolies. They have gripped palms and seem the warmest and highest quality of all my wool gloves. I go with the Sitka fanatics if I need less warmth and more finesse.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Sealskinz are money. I like the uninsulated until it gets down to hard water temperatures. They're sort of a fleece lined-interior so they're great for Alaska mid-season. Once the water locks up I switch to Kuiu Yukons.

Good tips here.

I haven’t personally tried them, but I’ve heard some good things about heated cycling, motorcycling and skiing gloves, so something like that could be worth checking out if you want warmth without much bulk.

If I know I am actually going to be working in water then i have a set of good fully waterproof gloves that commercial fishermen wear. You can have breathable or you can have waterPROOF, no breathable glove will stay completely dry when handling wet items. Also a few pairs of nitriles in a pack for cleaning critters is not a bad option.

3forks

WKR
These gloves are designed for commercial fisherman, but are very popular with ice climbers.

OP
P
These gloves are designed for commercial fisherman, but are very popular with ice climbers.

Interesting option. Priced right, too.

yep.. thems the ones..

yep.. thems the ones..
Yep…..I own 2 pairs. I have hunted Alaska the last two years with two different outfitters. Every guide in camp had a pair of those. They only came out when it was a down pour but they are the ideal glove for wet conditions. Buy a size larger than normal and wear your wool liner gloves underneath them for those freezing temp days.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I've been looking for the same thing for a while minus the moose in the water.

These are the best I have found. Cut up lots of animals in the rain while wearing these.

OP
P
Update….

1. Partner brought some sealskinz. They were a JOKE!

2. I brought the Showas and some Kryptec waterproofs (like $120). Kryptecs slightly less of a joke than the Sealskinz. I elected to pretty much stay miserable in order to make sure I had the Showas in tact and not sweated up (which would happen with a rubber glove) in case in REALLY needed them for comfort / safety, or if we had to clean a moose in the water.

3. Looking back 2-3 more pairs of Showas would have been nice. Caveat… 1st half of Sept where we were was approaching record breaking rainfalls, but the first two pairs mentioned above truly were a joke. As were Danner Pronghorbs and Vitals. Sealskin socks in wading boots worked for a day or two, but never really put them to the test because we needed pants way more waterproof than what we had. As such…. We literally LIVED in G3 waders and rubber jackets. G3 pants might have been easier to live in than waders, but that’s debatable. The doubled up coverage above waistline made for worry free glassing and laying on ground in occasional tropical storm conditions. Going bathroom just sucked.