Water Purification

Pretty sure you can drink your own urine up to 3 times. I haven’t been that thirsty yet

Rocko99

FNG
Relatively clean, non-silty water, BeFree with 1L bag. High animal traffic, non-silty water Sawyer Squeeze, Cnoc Vecto 2L used for dirty water bag.

inkedspot

Lil-Rokslider
Recently got the Platypus daycap for a Nalgene to test out as an option. It works pretty well for the first 2/3 of the Nalgene bottle. For the last 1/3 it is pretty inconvenient because of how far back you have to tip the bottle to get the liquid into the filter.

Rocko99

FNG
I don't like Steripens for the simple reason they are electronic and can fail. I like analog filters. BeFree, Sawyer Squeeze. Some like Platypus Quickdraw and in clean water-low animal traffic it's probably fine, but the Sawyer is much more effective in filtering bacteria and most importantly giardia and cryptosporidium.

I don't like Steripens for the simple reason they are electronic and can fail. I like analog filters. BeFree, Sawyer Squeeze. Some like Platypus Quickdraw and in clean water-low animal traffic it's probably fine, but the Sawyer is much more effective in filtering bacteria and most importantly giardia and cryptosporidium.
I’ve used just about everything and my steripen has given me the least amount of problems. You are right though, I always carry back up drops or tabs just in case.

Rocko99

FNG
I’ve used just about everything and my steripen has given me the least amount of problems. You are right though, I always carry back up drops or tabs just in case.
I know some people that love Steripens. Not knocking their effectiveness, just not for me. It is nice not having to worry about them freezing-biggest PITA with analog filters.

Eleven

FNG
Anyone use the various lifestraw products? I’ve got a gravity filter from them that I use while I’m at my camp, but my water is pretty clean to begin with. Not really a good test on whether it is effective or not.

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
What's your guys experience with how long those steripens last??
I’ve had mine since 2017 and it’s still going strong. Sterilized hundreds of gallons with no issues at all. I do carry tablets as a backup and occasionally use them if I fill my bigger bladder for camp water.

Gotcha_

FNG
Anyone use the various lifestraw products? I’ve got a gravity filter from them that I use while I’m at my camp, but my water is pretty clean to begin with. Not really a good test on whether it is effective or not.
That's what I use for warm weather. Sawyer squeeze fits right on a smart water bottle. Cant get much more light weight than that (a 1L bottle weighs 1.2oz empty). Smart water bottle sizes vary on how long my trip is.

Cold weather is Nalgene / Jetboil / Steripen.

Always have aquatabs.

Ive been covered 80F to -10F. Let me know if anyone has suggestions.

chindits

WKR
Dont those freeze?

If it's that cold it's all frozen, boiling is the only option.
No not when they’re in the inside pocket of your jacket. Much easier to deal with than a filter. I also keep a water bottle inside my jacket so it doesn’t freeze. It can be -20 and some part of that creek is still flowing. You just gotta know where it flows turbulent enough for open water. Pretty easy in this part of CO.

You can premix aqua Mira at the beginning of the day in a separate vial and it’s good for 24 hours. It’s light sensitive so keep it in a pocket or pouch.

Sawyer squeeze has always worked perfectly for me. Can be squeezed or gravity hung. Used Katadyn BeFree for a little bit, but it always clogged on me. At least with a sawyer you can backflush. Used same sawyer for entirety of a PCT thru hike with zero issues. Always carry aquamira tabs as back-up.