Water pump ?

TravisIN

WKR
I’m expecting very little water where I’m going this year. My normal water kit is a steripen for my nalgene, and then the have a swayer in-line filter that I use with a couple platypus bladders that I let gravity filter at camp for camp water. My normal spot has plenty of water where I can easily fill up those bladders in the creek. There have been times when I’ve been above treeline and barely been able to find seeps where I’ve had to fill up my nalgene with with my lid where I think having a pump would be nice. Am I wrong in thinking that a pump would be good have in a low water situation? Any recommendations on which one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlgc20

WKR
A pump is going to be your best option for those low water situations. The MSR Mini is great. Before you go out with it (or any filter). Make sure you are familiar with how to take them apart, clean them and put them back together. Those low level water situations put a lot of strain on the filter. Just need to make sure you can fix that in the field. It isn't rocket science. But, better to learn at home than the hard way.

bwlacy

WKR
I've used an MSR miniworks and I bought an MSR bladder that the pump screws right onto. Makes it easy to fill. There is a small weight penalty, but works well when needed.

CO-AJ

WKR
MSR Trailshot and then you could use your steripen once you have filled the bottle. Guardian is big and expensive.

Jory S.

FNG
The katadyn hiker isn’t a bad option. Ive only had one issue in the last eight years with it. A new filter I bought ended up having a defect and wouldn’t pump water out.

I do make sure to take it apart at night and get all the water out so it doesn’t freeze.

lukelalor

FNG
No suggestions on a pump, and you probably know this, but I figure it is worth mentioning.

Since I started carrying a bladder I realized that I could syphon water from a lot of places a water bottle doesn't nicely fit. Saves some weight, and there is always the really shitty scoop option if it doesn't work.

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
No suggestions on a pump, and you probably know this, but I figure it is worth mentioning.

Since I started carrying a bladder I realized that I could syphon water from a lot of places a water bottle doesn't nicely fit. Saves some weight, and there is always the really shitty scoop option if it doesn't work.

I’ve done the scoop option and thought I bet a pump would be handy hahah. I’ve ran into water issues where I am headed so am thinking the pump may be worth it! These are screenshots from a video
2eb8f2af40f7247eefb294b5739459b8.jpg

b1b5fb4daa34e2781cd765fb484c1bde.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lukelalor

FNG
I’ve done the scoop option and thought I bet a pump would be handy hahah. I’ve ran into water issues where I am headed so am thinking the pump may be worth it! These are screenshots from a video
Yea, scooping sucks. That doesn't look like a good time.

I’ve never had to do this in real life, but in survival training we were taught using a cloth or sponge to soak up water and squeeze it in to a container. Might be a last ditch option for the situations you guys describe.

CO-AJ

WKR
Update to my posts above. I have since purchased the Rapid Pure straw and put the filter on the end of my MSR trailshot. The pump pulls the water up through the filter so I am now filtering for virus as well as bacteria and germs. I still carry the Katdyn tablets as a backup.

I have a Katadyn hiker and it works really well. I've used it on 3 Alaska trips. It is super nice to just find a little creek and fill your hydration bladder in a few minutes.

In camp, I have a modification of the Katadyn basecamp. I cut the filter and installed a Sawyer mini in the drain line. It is super convenient to have lots of water readily available at camp. The basecamp bag is a great dirty water bag. It is super big and easy to fill. Here is a thread that shows my basecamp conversion. Conversion thread

CO-AJ

WKR
Update to my posts above. I have since purchased the Rapid Pure straw and put the filter on the end of my MSR trailshot. The pump pulls the water up through the filter so I am now filtering for virus as well as bacteria and germs. I still carry the Katdyn tablets as a backup.
Update to my system functionality. The addition of the Rapidpure filter does somewhat inhibit the squeeze bulb reinflating. I would say it took 3-4 minutes to fill a Nalgene bottle. Also you have to pin the rapidpure filter to the bottom of the stream or between a couple of rocks as it wants to float to the top. The water quality however was awesome, crystal clear no worries on viruses, cold, and no taste of tablets. Also, I didn't have to carry more AA's for a Steripen.