Water Hole

Npike4040

FNG
Going to be installing a water hole in my food plot next week. Anybody ever done this and have any suggestions? I'm planning on using a pond liner and putting dirt back around the edges to hold it in place. Didnt know if i should put dirt back into it to cover the liner completely up or leave it exposed. Thanks and good luck this season!

Perfect I'll check that out!
Just one thing you'll pick up on is your idea about putting it on your food plot. There's probably better places. Deer should already be going to your food plot. Use the water hole on the travel way to the food plot. It's a high value attraction point, no sense in stacking it on top of an already high value attraction (your food plot). Find a spot on the travel way to their bedding. Some place with good access and good wind. Bucks will hit it coming to and from bedding.

EdP

WKR
I think the advice above is an excellent point. My water hole is adjacent to my food plot because I had no other choice. I see the deer using it from my blind and if was further away I would have more travel paths to hunt.

I think the advice above is an excellent point. My water hole is adjacent to my food plot because I had no other choice. I see the deer using it from my blind and if was further away I would have more travel paths to hunt.
And possibly more wind options to hunt. My property is shaped like a triangle. I plan on having a water hole on each leg, to play a couple different winds. Add a few mock scrapes and the line of travel should be pretty predictable. Spreading out points of attraction build the line of travel and give multiple stand locations to hunt different winds, and set up morning and evening stands.

Bgusty

FNG
Like others have said, you might be better off putting it away from the food plot and going smaller. If you can haul water to it, using like a 100 gallon water tank can go a long way.

Whitetail habitat solutions talks about them a ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunterjrg

FNG
My first choice is hunting over water. I’d hunt that over a food plot hands down. Check out Earth Ponds. Same company and the earth blinds. They a few different sizes. I’ve got 2 of them and will add a third at some point.