Washing new gear

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a couple new pieces recently and was thinking, typically with regular clothes I’d throw them in a wash cycle before wearing. Do you do that with hunting gear or just take the tags off and let er rip? Obviously depending on the piece you would not wash near as frequently as regular clothes.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
No scent wash, air/sun dry. I wash the early season stuff about one week before archery opens and then into the air tight tote. I'll wash the late season stuff later on when I know I can still get warm sunny days to hang them outside to dry. Most years select items that I use all the time will get a mid-season wash and at most an air-only tumble dry if it's not warm/sunny enough outside but I prefer the outdoor dry method when possible. Now and then I'll ozone treat certain items for a short cycle as well instead of a wash, depends on what they need.

This reminds me that I need to get my charcoal bags out in the sun for a recharge!

Ho5tile1

WKR
Grangers is what I wash all my hunting stuff in hang dry unless I’m reapplying dwr to something. I paid way too much for this stuff so I’m gonna wash it in the best stuff I can find and take care of it. I wash everything before I use it to get that chemical or funny smell out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Tags off, wear em for all my clothes. My wife would strongly disagree with that though lol.

stephane

Lil-Rokslider
I wash them because I’m sure they’re filthy from everyone that touched it from sewing/packing/transport, on the rack in the store, etc.

But I also don’t treat my hunting clothes special apart from cold water wash and hang dry to avoid damaging/deteriorating the fabric. I personally think that an animal will still smell your body even if your clothes have no smell. I just work the wind.

I use the dead down wind detergent because it is good at getting blood out in my experience and I know it does not have scent, optical brighteners or other things that mess with the clothes. I learned that all free and clear builds up on your clothes because my daughter uses clothes diapers on my grand baby and after a while they quit being absorbent.

TaperPin

WKR
It seems like anything new smells like shipping containers from China. I simply wash in an unscented detergent and call it good. Hunting clothes get used a lot so not washing wouldn’t be the end of the world, unless you end up with hives from whatever chemicals they ship the clothes with.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I wash them with a deodorizer and non-scented detergent. Mostly to soften them up a bit. Especially pants as they can be a bit stiff out of the box.

Wash with half the recommended non scent detergent and air dry. Most fabrics are made out of the country and coated in chemicals. Your wife is right, I wont tell her though.

SloppyJ

WKR
I use the sport wash stuff and air dry. The day before season I will hang all of my gear out in the back yard over night. I pack it in a scentlok bag and head out. Change when I get there.

BowNP

FNG
I picked up a couple new pieces recently and was thinking, typically with regular clothes I’d throw them in a wash cycle before wearing. Do you do that with hunting gear or just take the tags off and let er rip? Obviously depending on the piece you would not wash near as frequently as regular clothes.
I think it makes the most sense to wash all the human/store scent off before first use. That being said, I’ve had deer come within 10 yards of my stand after having just ripped the tags off some camo the same morning lol. I say wash if you can, because it’s better to waste a little time and scent free detergent instead of kicking yourself in the butt for not and getting busted

Wolfshead

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t wear ANYTHING I’ve bought before I’ve washed it.
Too many things…..

Sinistram

FNG
I simply can't wear something without washing it first. Has not much to do with spooking game but eveything to do with getting all the chemicals and shipping crud off of them. I'm also a big fan of letting things air dry (preferably outside) to help them last as long as possible.

taskswap

WKR
I always wash new things, but only for comfort. I do use the "Dead Down Wind" detergent and dryer sheets but honestly I don't think it adds much. I just use it because I bought it years ago thinking it might help, and one bottle lasts a decade if all you wash is your hunt clothes.

You make all kinds of smells, as a human - no matter what you do with your clothes or what $500 "ozone closet" you drop your tax return on, your breath, your armpits, etc all smell and nothing is going to stop that. Hunt into the wind. This is the way.

Here's a doe I ran into tonight standing NEXT TO my target gong as I stepped out to practice a little muzzie tonight. She was upwind and not in a hurry to move off. I had to wave my arms at her before I could even take a shot. I was wearing street (office/work) clothes and had just finished a foot-long Subway turkey sandwich. Extra cheese.

doe.jpg

Wolfshead

Lil-Rokslider
I always think of those “Walmart” memes when getting new clothes.
I’ve seen some pretty questionable people trying on clothing that there is NO way I would want to be wearing after they have.
I hate trying them on, although it may be necessary, and never just remove tags and wear it.