Wasatch Muzzle Loader elk

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Expect lots of hunters (not all elk hunters), beautiful scenery, with some elk scattered in there. The muzzy hunt is after the the any weapon hunt so the herds will likely be scattered up a bit. No need to sugar coat it, the hunts going to be a little tough. I’d plan to stay the entirety of the season if you can (it’s basically a once in a lifetime hunt) and don’t get discouraged too early. Sometimes it takes several days to find them. There’s still a lot of elk it’s just going to take some digging. A lot of guys get caught up in “camp talk” meaning other camps will say “they were over here yesterday” and the next camp will say the exact opposite and so on. Take it with a grain of salt and don’t burn too much time chasing stories. The elk will likely be moving around a bunch, not staying in the same areas for days on end like in the earlier (archery/any weapon) seasons.

OP
D

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
Expect lots of hunters (not all elk hunters), beautiful scenery, with some elk scattered in there. The muzzy hunt is after the the any weapon hunt so the herds will likely be scattered up a bit. No need to sugar coat it, the hunts going to be a little tough. I’d plan to stay the entirety of the season if you can (it’s basically a once in a lifetime hunt) and don’t get discouraged too early. Sometimes it takes several days to find them. There’s still a lot of elk it’s just going to take some digging. A lot of guys get caught up in “camp talk” meaning other camps will say “they were over here yesterday” and the next camp will say the exact opposite and so on. Take it with a grain of salt and don’t burn too much time chasing stories. The elk will likely be moving around a bunch, not staying in the same areas for days on end like in the earlier (archery/any weapon) seasons.
I am to busy hunting to do much camp talk, I might backpack in just to get away from others. The only negative to that is I can't move or cover as much ground. I won't give up. Thanks for the advise.

I live in the unit and have helped guys with tags before, but my family always hunts another unit in Utah for good reason. The Wasatch is NOT what it was from 2005-2010, so my first bit of advice is to get that image out of your head. I know WAY too many guys who pass solid bulls because "there's a 400" bull behind every tree." The old timers who live around here still have that image in their heads, and as they draw tags slowly they are always disappointed. Blame the DWR, blame winters, blame whatever, the hay-days of the Wasatch are gone, done-zo, finito, period.

That being said, there's still lots of solid bulls on the unit. But if I had the tag, I would shoot the first 330 bull I saw. There's big suckers out there still, but not like they were there.

Bring a Jeep or a SXS and spend a couple days scouting along the big main roads on the unit before the season starts. There's lots of good roads running the ridges that give you good views of everything below. Bring good glass and a spotter and you won't have any trouble finding some elk. If you can stay the whole hunt, I would. Be patient and persistent to find a mature bull, but don't pass on a 340 if you see one.
I drew this tag for Archery this year. I'm headed up memorial weekend to throw up some cameras and scout as I've never hunted the area and want to get to know it. I go fishing in Alaska every year for halibut and salmon. I would be willing to trade you some of the fish i have on hand still or wait until beginning of August when I go again if you could point me into a direction to scout. I will put in the miles and hike just hoping for general areas to go look.

I got lucky and drew the Wasatch muzzle loader tag for bull elk. I live in Iowa and probably wont make it out to scout. Will go 2 to 3 days before season to get familiar with the area (scout). If anyone has hunted this area and wouldn't mind sharing info with me through a PM I would appreciate it. I started my research within minutes of me finding out I drew. Thanks
I'm allso happy to share with you what I find out during Archery.

I got lucky and drew the Wasatch muzzle loader tag for bull elk. I live in Iowa and probably wont make it out to scout. Will go 2 to 3 days before season to get familiar with the area (scout). If anyone has hunted this area and wouldn't mind sharing info with me through a PM I would appreciate it. I started my research within minutes of me finding out I drew. Thanks
Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

I live in the unit and have helped guys with tags before, but my family always hunts another unit in Utah for good reason. The Wasatch is NOT what it was from 2005-2010, so my first bit of advice is to get that image out of your head. I know WAY too many guys who pass solid bulls because "there's a 400" bull behind every tree." The old timers who live around here still have that image in their heads, and as they draw tags slowly they are always disappointed. Blame the DWR, blame winters, blame whatever, the hay-days of the Wasatch are gone, done-zo, finito, period.

That being said, there's still lots of solid bulls on the unit. But if I had the tag, I would shoot the first 330 bull I saw. There's big suckers out there still, but not like they were there.

Bring a Jeep or a SXS and spend a couple days scouting along the big main roads on the unit before the season starts. There's lots of good roads running the ridges that give you good views of everything below. Bring good glass and a spotter and you won't have any trouble finding some elk. If you can stay the whole hunt, I would. Be patient and persistent to find a mature bull, but don't pass on a 340 if you see one.
Nobody, tried to send you a pm but it wouldn't let me. Any chance you could pm me?

OP
D

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider

I have been told this by everyone I spoke with. Theres no doubt in my mind I will shoot the first 300 to 330 bull I can. Thanks

OP
D

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to everyone who reached out to me I appreciate the help. Wish I could leave tomorrow.

Devin

FNG
I had the tag last year and have hunted it a lot with family members. There will be a lot of other hunters but it's not too hard to get away from the masses. I ended up with a great bull. Send me a PM and I can give you some info.

Attachments

• IMG_8275.jpeg
    IMG_8275.jpeg
    646.5 KB · Views: 88
OP
D

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
I had the tag last year and have hunted it a lot with family members. There will be a lot of other hunters but it's not too hard to get away from the masses. I ended up with a great bull. Send me a PM and I can give you some info.
Sent you a PM

OP
D

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
Had to turn tag bsck in fell off ladder and broke knee and heal, I hope to draw another year. Thanks for the the help. Dan

I have the ML tag for this unit, any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me if you don’t want to splatter info across the internet. Thanks in advance!

I did a scouting trip this past weekend, with the weather (rain) many of the roads were treacherous as they contain a lot of clay making them extremely slippery even after some rather minor showers. Going down hill was the worse as you attempt to control speed by braking you will start to slide. I ended up putting wheels in the inside ditch to get down a couple steep spots If you are expecting any precipitation during your hunt, be aware of you exit strategy, have good aggressive tires and chains for all four corners. Quads/"buggies" as the locals call them did much better but I did see some quad tracks in ditches as well. Be careful out there.