Warm mid layer

Pdzoller

WKR
What do you use or recommend in the way of synthetic base? I'll look into it some but would appreciate a recommendation.
Hard to beat Sitka hooded base layers due to their versatility and I really like the Kuiu peloton 97 zip off bottoms. The Cascades are almost always wet, cold and windy during my seasons and these work the best for me.

What do you use or recommend in the way of synthetic base? I'll look into it some but would appreciate a recommendation.
Hunting brand wise Sitka core light weight hoody has been awesome and I will buy more. It has odor treatment and does decent for smell. It also has a built in face mask for getting close if you so chose to use it.

Most of the hunting brands has synthetic options, but for me the sitka checks more boxes than the others. I like a deep chest zipper to dump heat, sitka has it; I like a hood, sitka has it; I want an odor treatment, sitka has it.

brandr67

FNG
Does anyone use the FL Furnace quarter zip? I see it talked about a bit but wondering if anyone has firsthand experience with it as a mid layer.

Clarktar

WKR
I used a fleece from Swazi this year. Wore it with a some sort of Filson softshell wind jacket over it. Was comfortable in the low teens probably single digits with wind chill

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

jd1006

WKR
I’m with the folks on here that say synthetic for a mid layer. I like the Kelvin Active Hoody a lot. The Kenai from Kuiu or Kutana Hybrid from Kuiu are the other options I like depending upon cold/wind.

vorfield

FNG
Mountain Hardwear Airmesh gives pretty decent warmth per weight. You can also flip it inside out so the slick layer faces inward for different layering. It's on sale a lot too

Does anyone use the FL Furnace quarter zip? I see it talked about a bit but wondering if anyone has firsthand experience with it as a mid layer.
Used it this year down to 4 degrees as a layering piece.

Works gray if you stay active or don’t sweat much or both.

A synthetic is better if getting very sweaty then sitting for extended periods in very cold weather

i wore a fjallraven wool flannel for my mid layer in late october in kodiak. Wore it under my kuiu guide jaacket and worked great, liked it more then the kuiu fleece thing i brought.

LostArra

WKR
Nothing with a hood and I'm not really a fan of the grid fleece, it binds up on the merino whenever you take the grid fleece on and off.
Binding can be eliminated by using a thin synthetic between merino and fleece.
If I want a hood I use Sitka lightweight.
No hood, I use a lightweight Patagonia capilene. Both are slick, no binding but I agree merino to fleece is annoying.

My warmest fleece is a quarter zip Eddie Bauer First Ascent. The thing is a furnace.

My go to base or over merino short sleeve is Patagonia R1 sleeveless. Slick outside, grid inside. Great piece and as usual it's no longer made.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Have to be the contrarian I guess. Give me a good wool midlayer like a Woolpower 600 or Appalachian Gear Company All-Paca crew. Just as warm and light but regulates my temperature and moisture better IMO and will smell better on top of it.