Warm mid layer

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
I use FL merino for a base and then their catalyst for the outer layer. I typically use their klamath for a mid layer in Florida and Georgia but as I start to look towards going out west into colder Temps, I think I'll want a warmer mid layer. I have a puffy for glassing but would really like a warmer mid layer for moving around.

Nothing with a hood and I'm not really a fan of the grid fleece, it binds up on the merino whenever you take the grid fleece on and off.

I'm not picky on brand as long as it's a quality piece of gear. What are some recommendations?

Second the ambient jacket. Great mid layer or a stand alone outer for open country. Wouldn’t bust brush with it.
But it is a very warm mid with an outer and breathes well, so temp regulation is reaoly good.

I usually wear an Arcteryx Atom LT as a warmer mid layer under a Sitka Jetstream jacket when the temps drop. Mine is a hoody, but they make a jacket version as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The Sitka ambient jacket would certainly be a solid fit for what you’re looking for.

I also really like the atom LT piece - for a warm mid layer it is really solid. Not sure if they do that without a hood or not.

dlee56

WKR
I love the Arcteryx Atom LT. I wore one out after 5 years and bought the Sitka kelvin active to replace it but I wish I went back to the Atom.

I just got back from Montana where the temps were below zero.. When moving I used the KUIU Strongfleece 280 hoodie and Peleton 240 hoodie.. They worked great.. you'll find that the hoodie makes a great difference.. I've never hunted in the west when there wasn't some amount of breeze/wind.. It really helps to be able to put up one or two layers around your neck to keep the breeze/cold out.. If you don't need one or both they compress really well for packing/weight is minimal.. Whatever you do don't use down as an insulating layer if you're moving.. It will gather moisture, hold it and lessen its insulating value.. One sure way to get cold..

feanor

WKR
I use an atom lt as well. Really versatile overall. Sometimes when it’s really cold and I’m not gaining tons of elevation, I’ll use an atom ar. But it depends on the style of hunt you’re looking for.

I go 125 weight merino, then Sitka Core Heavyweight, then Patagonia Nano-Air (a real excellent 'active' puffy), then proper down puffy on top of that when glassing. It's gotta be pretty cold or those first 3 will be hot when moving. I use combos of these 4 pieces September to late season.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I use FL merino for a base and then their catalyst for the outer layer. I typically use their klamath for a mid layer in Florida and Georgia but as I start to look towards going out west into colder Temps, I think I'll want a warmer mid layer. I have a puffy for glassing but would really like a warmer mid layer for moving around.

Nothing with a hood and I'm not really a fan of the grid fleece, it binds up on the merino whenever you take the grid fleece on and off.

I'm not picky on brand as long as it's a quality piece of gear. What are some recommendations?
Woolpower 600g zip sweater.

t_carlson

WKR
First off, ditch the merino. Wool fibers soak up and hold moisture. Good for some applications, but not so good for high exertion activities in cold weather. Go to a synthetic or a synthetic/wool blend. Synthetic fibers wick moisture.

Merino is great for early season when it is not too cold, as it will help cool you down when you are exerting yourself. In cold weather, it just sucks your body heat up and you will stay wet longer. Merino has got to be one of the most misunderstood fibers in the hunting world. Everybody's father and grandfather preached wool, wool, wool, primarily because they didn't have good synthetics as an alternative. The alternative was cotton, and wool is certainly better than cotton.

If you would like more "authority" on the subject, I know you can find some podcasts with John Barklow (Sitka) and Jason Hairston (Kuiu, RIP) saying the same thing. Barklow is famous for the "rewarming drills" where you jump in a creek and then have to dry yourself out in the middle of winter by movement or crawling into a sleeping bag.

I didn't pay close attention to their comments until about 4 years ago. Then, I started testing it out myself and noticed that I was always much more comfortable in synthetics in cold weather. Yes, wool doesn't carry the odor, but modern synthetics are pretty good about eliminating it too.

But back to your original question,

For non-grid fleece options, I like the Patagonia Nano Puff in windy weather, or the Nano Air when it is not windy. The Arcteryx Atom LT is a good compromise.

jd1006

WKR
Kelvin Active Hoody from Sitka or the Kutana Hybrid from kuiu. If you can’t find the Kutana Hybrid, the Kenai from Kuiu is a little heavier, but has pit zips and works great as a mid-layer jacket.

Shraggs

WKR
Ll bean knit wool commando sweater is one of my favorite. It’s so breathable and doesn’t wet out. Under something it really traps more heat than merino wool.

I also like the hybrids like fl sawtooth.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
Eddie Bauer Chutes Micro fleece shirt is my go to mid layer. Very warm and cheap.

First off, ditch the merino. Wool fibers soak up and hold moisture. Good for some applications, but not so good for high exertion activities in cold weather. Go to a synthetic or a synthetic/wool blend. Synthetic fibers wick moisture.

Merino is great for early season when it is not too cold, as it will help cool you down when you are exerting yourself. In cold weather, it just sucks your body heat up and you will stay wet longer. Merino has got to be one of the most misunderstood fibers in the hunting world. Everybody's father and grandfather preached wool, wool, wool, primarily because they didn't have good synthetics as an alternative. The alternative was cotton, and wool is certainly better than cotton.

If you would like more "authority" on the subject, I know you can find some podcasts with John Barklow (Sitka) and Jason Hairston (Kuiu, RIP) saying the same thing. Barklow is famous for the "rewarming drills" where you jump in a creek and then have to dry yourself out in the middle of winter by movement or crawling into a sleeping bag.

I didn't pay close attention to their comments until about 4 years ago. Then, I started testing it out myself and noticed that I was always much more comfortable in synthetics in cold weather. Yes, wool doesn't carry the odor, but modern synthetics are pretty good about eliminating it too.

For non-grid fleece options, I like the Patagonia Nano Puff in windy weather, or the Nano Air when it is not windy. The Arcteryx Atom LT is a good compromise.
This is so spot on. It literally drives me nuts. do a search on here about best base layers and 80% will say merino. Merino is not the fiber most think it is. The whole warm when wet is also not true. If you are wet and it cold out you will get cold.

I only bring one shirt with me on a 7-day backpack hunt. staying dry is the name of the game. I want clothing that dry's fast because that means I am going to be warm and comfortable. Synthetics dry much faster and are much easier to layer.

The only negative to synthetics is odor and I don't care what I smell like when I'm in the backcountry. My merino smells after 3 or 4 days anyways so who cares.

It's been mentioned 6X already. I just bought a Sitka Ambient Hoody (yes they make non hooded).

I am ALWAYS cold. Even in 20-30 temps which should be easily tolerable, I get cold quickly. That Ambient over Sitka lightweight poly shirt and hoody....REALLY rock. So impressed with that piece.

I am very close to being literal when I say I own every piece of Sitka. Wool, Windstoper, Primaloft, whatever. That Ambient hits hard for being so lightweight. I am certainly buying another.

OP
J

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider

What do you use or recommend in the way of synthetic base? I'll look into it some but would appreciate a recommendation.