Warm base camp pad for late season

nrh6.7

WKR
I am looking to pick up a high r rated pad for a late season base camp and want to hear what others have used/use. My thought is to pick up the exped megamat and call it done, but would also be fine with some double layer foam. Does the megamat offer anything that something else might not, and what would be your advise for something warm and very comfortable.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Double up on a couple of memory foam mattress toppers and be money ahead. Should be plenty warm and super comfy. Can't bust those lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If by base camp you mean at the vehicle then I use a blow up mattress with a 2” cheap foam egg crate topper from wallyworld, flannel sheets, fleece blanket and a down comforter if it gets real cold. Minus the sheets and blankets I’m in to it about $35 and waaaaay more comfortable than any sleep pad.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Double up on a couple of memory foam mattress toppers and be money ahead. Should be plenty warm and super comfy. Can't bust those lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thinking this is the way I'll go. Thanks

1000yrds

FNG
I did go to a heavier pad and use a Big Agnes Q-Core SL long/wide (I didn’t need long but I wanted the width and they didn’t have a short/wide option) and I top it with a z-rest because air mattresses are cold and I’m a cold sleeper. The z-rest is the difference between sleeping or lying awake shivering for me. I use the CCF on top, not on the bottom.

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the EXPED MegaMat. It's original design intent was for Everest base camp, it's the perfect car camping mattress however.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Check out the EXPED MegaMat. It's original design intent was for Everest base camp, it's the perfect car camping mattress however.

This is what I ended up going with. Exped is discontinuing their Outfitter Megamat so I picked it up at a steep discount, and with a 420D Poly shell it should hold up to anything I'll ever throw at it. Was gonna go with foam matting but I wouldn't be able to use it on the ground without protection.

Thanks to everyone for all the input.

jmoots

FNG
This is what I ended up going with. Exped is discontinuing their Outfitter Megamat so I picked it up at a steep discount, and with a 420D Poly shell it should hold up to anything I'll ever throw at it.
Where'd you find it at a steep discount?