Wall tent internal frame question...cutting poles

Mattyq17

Lil-Rokslider
I just purchased a Davis Tent 16x20 tent. I got all my rafters, ridge, and leg poles cut to size. The rafters are 8'11" and I would like to cut them down so they will fit in the bed of a truck when transporting. I know Davis sells the sleeves that goes over the 1" EMT (I don't like that but will do it if it's the only option) but was wondering if anyone has found a way to have the sleeve inside the two cut pieces of 1" EMT. I saw a post on FB that a guy used 3/4" IMC but no place within 50 miles of me as any as it is not used around here. Ultimately, I would plug weld the inner sleeve to one side and then when they go back together it is seamless.

Any ideas on what pipe will fit inside 1" EMT?

Thanks.

8'11" rafters?! My God, you could host a wedding in that sucker!

As for the splice... I would trust @sndmn11 over most anyone (I hear Metallica's "Enter Sandman" whenever I read a post). Go for the over sleeve, save the welder

OP
Mattyq17

Mattyq17

Lil-Rokslider
@go_deep something like that would work thanks for the link.

@sndmn11 very true and most likely what I will do the more I think about it. I did find that the top rail of chain link fencing will fit over 1" EMT. I will check it out next time I am at Home Depot to verify.

@Bull_n_heat it is nice and roomy that's for sure!! We are actually going to use the rainfly/awning and the frame for my stepson's wedding in Sept so the old folks can get out of the sun!!

go_deep

WKR
I have a Davis tent and split my long poles, but cut one side about 9" longer than the other and did over sleeves on the shorter poles to make them the same length

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
@sndmn11 very true and most likely what I will do the more I think about it. I did find that the top rail of chain link fencing will fit over 1" EMT. I will check it out next time I am at Home Depot to verify.
The top rail at HD that is readily available is 17gauge, you NEED 16gauge. 16 gauge is what the angles are made from. 17 gauge allows too much slop and angle, and it ends up acting as a lever and will bend everything easily.

16gauge

OP
Mattyq17

Mattyq17

Lil-Rokslider
The top rail at HD that is readily available is 17gauge, you NEED 16gauge. 16 gauge is what the angles are made from. 17 gauge allows too much slop and angle, and it ends up acting as a lever and will bend everything easily.

16gauge
Good to know thank you for that info. I will go by our local fence factory and see what they have. Will probably just order from Davis as they have been nothing but good quick service to all my questions and needs. Luckily, I don't need them right away, so I have some time to decide.

Beendare

WKR
I’m a swedged Aluminum guy so no help BUT…did you wet it and leave in hot sun to dry yet?

You might want to do that as they will shrink a little sometimes

OP
Mattyq17

Mattyq17

Lil-Rokslider
This is the video @sndmn11 is talking about with our couplers. He use to work for @Davis Tent

I do now. This is definitely the way to do it as far as strength is considered.

I have seen that video and agree that is the way to go. I found 16-gauge top rail for $3.38/ft at the local fencing business. If you don't mind me asking what size and material do you use for the coupler?

OP
Mattyq17

Mattyq17

Lil-Rokslider
This is the video @sndmn11 is talking about with our couplers. He use to work for @Davis Tent

I do now. This is definitely the way to do it as far as strength is considered.

I have watched your videos a few dozen times, I can't wait to use the tent this year, we are using an old stove my father-in-law has from his old wall tent but am pretty sure we will be ordering one from you guys' next year.