Wading Boot for AK Moose

roymunson

WKR
Man there's a lot for an Ohio fella to take in around here, but I have a moose hunt in the low swamps of AK in 2023. I have simms G3 waders, but am pretty picky on my shoes. I have some ankle issues and wear hikers for work every day. Was running Vasque Breeze's until I came onto some Kenetreks that I really like. However, in these boots I'll be walking in water, but the hiking aspect is more important than the grip in a stream aspect.

Simms Tributarys fit ok when I tried them on, but wondered if anyone had any experience in this application and what you'd recommend.

Was going to try to a standard hiking boot, but when I tried those on with the stocking foot waders I didn't like the fit...

I'm all ears.

Cheechako

FNG
Simms freestones or a higher grade are pretty good and have good ankle support. Replace the laces with paracord right away, their’s wear through. Also Synthetic boots like the orvis ultralight are often more flexible after freezing at night then leather wading boot options.
Go up a size to accommodate thick socks and the wader feet then tie them
tight at the ankle.

Last edited:
OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
I am generally a 10 1/2, but the 12 Sims tributaries fit pretty well, even if it was just in the store. I’m not a hard-core fly fisherman so I will not be spending as much time in them as some people.

I will see if I can try on some Orvis brand

Simms freestone wading boots worked great for my father, uncle and I on our 2020 trip. Absolutely zero complaints between the 3 of us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like my simms g3 boots. I just followed the sizing advice from simms and they fit perfectly.

Scottf270

WKR
Just bought a pair of Simms with the boa lace system on clearance from a Fly fishing shop in Oregon for 160.00 shipped, no tax. Got them today, they seem stiff with little flex but I just tried them on with only light socks. I'll try them with the waders on and a heavier sock and walk in them more. Hunting with Papa Bear in September for the second time.