WA state spring bear petition !!!!!!!!!

Clark33

WKR
Why do you want to hunt bears right out of hibernation? How many sows do you think get killed by accident and never reported because hunters don't want to get into trouble. There are much better times to black bear hunt than spring. I am 100% for smart hunting. After my kids open their gifts I will be off to hunt Mule Deer and fill my white tail tags here in Texas. I kill does and small bucks every year because it's the right thing to do, if the spring hunt isn't helping hunting it shouldn't happen. Look at both sides, why do you want to shot a bear with no weight on it yet?
A few reasons: Boars part take in infanticide. Cubs are very vulnerable. As well as calving elk and deer. It's a good time to manage the boar numbers while protecting cubs and new born calves and fawns.

Also, according to WDFW biologist collected harvest data. Of the 145ish harvested spring bears in 2019 or 2020 only 2 were lactating sows. WDFW encourages spring bear tag holders to watch bears for a while until they can confirm a cub isn't present.

Clark33

WKR
I'll also add, they only give out about what? 650 spring bear tags for the entire state. Our bear population is estimated at 25,000-30,000? It's not like we are asking to go out there and decimate the entire bear population coming out of hibernation.

OP
Spoonman

Spoonman

WKR
11,941 applications last year in Washington and 483 people drew with 145 harvested. Don’t think we are putting a dent in the population during the spring season.

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
Signed. Thanks all for bringing this up. If this follows through, I’m sure Oregon and other states will follow

Pdzoller

WKR
Comment sent but sadly they will fall on deaf ears. Our efforts will never change the attitudes of Seattle, just like Oregon will forever be at the whims of the population centers of the Willamette valley.

Hoodie

WKR
Comment sent but sadly they will fall on deaf ears. Our efforts will never change the attitudes of Seattle, just like Oregon will forever be at the whims of the population centers of the Willamette valley.

There was enough backlash over this that one of the key commissioners who voted to suspend the season resigned.

Swamping a state senator with emails helped tank SB-22 in California (moratorium on all bear hunting).

Every now and then it works :)

Jason277

WKR
There was enough backlash over this that one of the key commissioners who voted to suspend the season resigned.

Swamping a state senator with emails helped tank SB-22 in California (moratorium on all bear hunting).

Every now and then it works :)
Yes sir !!

StuckoYota99

Lil-Rokslider
Bears in Washington hibernate for 5 months, when does your spring hunt begin?
Check out this podcast from pnwild they answer a lot of your questions and go through this topic in depth
Also available on other platforms like Spotify and others

Last edited: