WA Goat Hunting Thread

Bearhunters WA Goat Hunting Thread

Fiqured Id try and keep everyone entertained with a little WA Goat hunting Thread this year! Besides working 6 and 7 days a week for the last 3 months, I have been researching new gear, getting in shape, losing 32 pounds, and finally got out to do a little Goat Scouting a few days ago with the family. Watched about 2 dozen different Goats from quit a distance threw my Swaro spotter, thanks to Luke M for the sale of that! Everything I have done with my few days off this year has evolved around Goat hunting preparation, including family time. Here are some pictures of the start of my Quest to kill a top 5 Billy in the State of WA this season! Every week or two I will try and post up pics and video of the progress from gear to scouting to the kill, Enjoy!!

To be successful, I fiqured it was time to change my lifestyle by working out daily, eating frequent and healthier foods and shedding 30lbs of unwanted body fat. I feel so much healthier already and got another 15lbs to go!
IMG_1602.jpg

My goal is to kill one with my Bow, so I picked up a used Mt. Goat 3d target and have been practicing from steep angles and long shots, heres a picture of my boys helping dad with his archery skills.
IMG_1663.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Bearhunter
I was in need of a new backcountry tent this season as my Eureka has seen its last Thunder storm in the Wyoming Backcountry and didnt hold up to well. So after much research I decided between the Mont Bell Cresent II and the MSR Carbon Reflex 2. I bought both set them up and disected them and finally came to a conclusion that the MSR would be my tent of choice this season. Its a little roomier and better vestibule space for my pack and boots, as well as being about 1/2 pound lighter, weighing in at 2lbs 8oz, with fly and stakes. Got it on Backcountry for $299. Now they have been showing on Steap and Cheap for $225, so keep your eye out if your interested in one.
IMG_9771.jpg

IMG_9751.jpg

IMG_9759.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Bearhunter
Late winter on a day off I felt the need to be up in the Mountains near the Goats, so I packed up the family and headed for Mt. Baker for a day of sleeding and glassing on a beautiful day. Got my cardio in as well pulling the kids up the mountain with there sleds!
IMG_9805.jpg

IMG_9802.jpg

IMG_9792.jpg

IMG_9785.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Bearhunter
Finally enough snow has melted off that a couple days ago on my day off we packed up and headed up to the mountain to get a view of some of the Goats in the unit. Had to drag the kids in the snow with there sleds about a mile but we made it and was able to glass up about 2 dozen Goats with the New Spotter. One was a collared Goat not sure if it was a Billy or Nanny, was to far off. Heres some pics of the country the goats were in and that I will be hunting in.
IMG_9819.jpg

IMG_9820.jpg

In this picture there are 25 different goats in the snow less area and several up above that. Next trip I will go in without the family and get some close up pics!
IMG_9818.jpg

IMG_9813.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Bearhunter
IMG_9817.jpg

Will post again with Goat pics after next trip up, still need the snow to reside a bit more to get closer!

Last edited:

7mag.

WKR
Looks like a lot of fun. It's cool to get the family involved in your passion. How do you know you have a tag? Did you buy the governor's tag?

shanevg

WKR
Looks like you found the spot I told you about. Glad you were able to find some goats. I saw 5 more this weekend but again not in your unit. I usually don't access your area until the 4th of July or so. Glad you were able to make time to get up in the hills!

dobby

FNG
Keep the pics coming! good to see your putting the time in and doing that tag justice

Are you planning on spending any time in the Goat Rocks?

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great photos, and it's awesome that you are getting the whole family involved!! Thanks for posting!

OP
Bearhunter
Shane, yup I found the spot easy enough. Now its time to access in deep, looking to snow shoe in maybe in the next couple weeks.. Dobby, I am definetly going to be scouting and spending some time in the Goats Rocks and North chelan as well. I cant wait to get into the Goat Rocks as its an absolute beautiful area! Were did you get your goat? 7Mag, to answer your question yes I got the Governors tag. Short version, I was at the SCI show in Seattle won 5K in the card raffle for spending $100, but I had to spend the 5K there so I put it toward the tag during the auction. By winning the 5K it enabled a working man a chance at such a great tag, that I never thought I would have!! Pretty excited still to say the least! Thanks Becca and thanks for the great spotter as well!!!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Bearhunter,

Glad the spotter worked out for ya man. See ya took the neoprene off of it to lighten it up a bit. :D That spotter has been used in a few goat hunts already so it's no rookie to helping ya find the goats. ;) Keep up the good work with the working out. It'll pay huge dividends come fall!!!

7mag.

WKR
That's a great story Bearhunter. I can't wait to see the results of a great tag. It's nice to see a regular guy get a great opportunity like this. It looks like you work hard for the animals you take, and you put in a lot of hours at your job, so that makes a tag like this even more special. Good luck, buddy.

shanevg

WKR
[video=youtube;Fv-HNduVV5g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv-HNduVV5g[/video]

Here's a goat from this spring for you to ogle at! He's a giant yearling! :)

Thanks to my lovely wife for the background commentary.

Seriously though - I can't wait for some more snow to melt so I can get out there with you. There are some giant billies in your units! You're going to have a blast!!!

OP
Bearhunter
Thanks guys, Dobby we should hook up this summer and go for a hike!! Shane I cant wait to get up there and learn some new country!

shanevg

WKR
Weather wasn't the greatest today, but I was able to spot some goats from a distance. 5 new kids in a herd of 20 or so goats is always a good sign! The thunderstorm this afternoon was crazy. I had to turn around 3 different times and take a new route home because of trees across the road and I wasn't carrying a chain saw. I'm glad I wasn't way up a logging road without one! Season keeps getting closer and closer!

[video=youtube;n3bd3jhxjVw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3bd3jhxjVw[/video]

OP
Bearhunter
Throwing some gear together for a 2 day trip this weekend, hope to be able to access in fairly deep on Mt. Baker as we have finally had some warm weather to melt off the record snow pack we had late in the season. Got the new Tines up digiscoping adaptor, and packing the video camera as well with any luck well find a couple dozen goats to check up on! Gonna run with the old trusty Lowe Alpine pack this weekend, cant hardly wait to get my new Timberline T2 loaded up and field tested when it shows up here sometime in August! Post some pics when we get back!
IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

shanevg

WKR
Of course you're going this weekend when I can't go! I would hve been more than happy to go with you last weekend! Have fun and be safe!