Vote on the 2022 Best Elk Photo Contest, Sponsored by Kifaru

2022 Best Elk Photo Contest

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Rokslide staff just voted on the 2022 finalists based on the rules in the entry thread

Now it's Rokslide members' turn to pick the winners.

This is the 7th year of this contest.

Our friends at Kifaruhave put up a $750 Gift Certificate for 1st place again this year!!!!

That's 750 Washington's to roll out in the Kifaru Store with no smack-talkin' from the bride (or hubby for you ladies!)

PS_stretched_logo_on_dark_bg.png

And for 2nd place, long-time sponsor Phone Skope stepped up with a great prize package:

-Phone Skope Case
-Phone Skope C3 Optic Adapter
-Phone Skope Lens Cap
-Bino Loops
-Cleaning Cloth

Rounding out 3rd place, Iron Will Outfitters is in for a Custom Engraved K2 Ultralight Skinning Knife (review pending from @Jared Bloomgren )

2C47F435-6150-4572-B4DB-737C03668D31.jpeg

Please vote on the photos in the poll at the top of the thread (Tapatalk users can't see the poll, so use full-site if you'd like to vote.)

Only Rokslide members with accounts registered by 12/28/22 will be counted towards winners (the fairest way to pick a winner), although those late votes will still show up in the poll.

I'll leave the poll open until approximately the evening of January 11th.

Please, only one vote per person. If you think you can rig it by creating multiple member user names and voting, @Jskaanland is all over you! If you're caught voting more than once, all your votes are disqualified.

Also, if you made the finalist list, go ahead and vote on your own photo, but remember if you try to vote with multiple user names, your photo will be pulled from the contest. And @Ryan Avery will ban you.

Here are the finalists in no particular order. Cast your vote in the poll using the member's name listed at top of each photo.

(if you made the finalist list and are an instagram user, PM @robby denning your user name if you'd like to be tagged on Rokslide's IG Post on this contest)

@TagEater
tageater.jpeg

@BK Peterson
bk peterson.jpeg

@WapitiWhackers
wapitiwhackers.jpg

@bensonfarms
bensonfarms.jpg

@wannakillabigbull
wannakillabigbull.jpg

@NMbackcountry
nmbackcountry.jpg

@bakcountry
bakcountry.jpeg

@Jbark60
jabark60.jpeg

@Hank
hank.jpeg

@Khuntbarney
khuntbarney.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

buzzy

WKR
Why do people feel the need to include the freaking rifle with the animal? That last photo would be amazing without a stinking rifle in it.

You don’t have any problem with the two photos with bows included? I understand your complaint as I have been put off when people display guns as well and I’m playing devils advocate here. Some guys drop a lot of coin on a weapon and or may be sponsored so need it in the picture. Some might have a hand me down gun they are proud to show off, who knows why they do it. I’ve got personal photos where I wish the gun wasn’t in them and some where I wish I would have changed some things. It is what it is. Not trying to get you fired up or anything. Just trying to spark some friendly conversation.

buzzy

WKR
You don’t have any problem with the two photos with bows included? I understand your complaint as I have been put off when people display guns as well and I’m playing devils advocate here. Some guys drop a lot of coin on a weapon and or may be sponsored so need it in the picture. Some might have a hand me down gun they are proud to show off, who knows why they do it. I’ve got personal photos where I wish the gun wasn’t in them and some where I wish I would have changed some things. It is what it is. Not trying to get you fired up or anything. Just trying to spark some friendly conversation.
I hear you but no I don’t have any problems having a bow in the photo. I guess it’s just a personal preference as bow hunting to me is a lot harder accomplishment than shooting an animal from 100-1000 yards away. I am a rifle hunter and have gone on a few archery hunts. I would include my bow in a few pics but rarely include my rifle in the pics. The rifle seems to take something away from the pic. In the one I mentioned I’m first drawn to the rifle and that to me takes something away from the pic. The elk with the mountains in the background is beautiful but when my eyes are drawn to the rifle it’s no longer a great pic.

If you are sponsored by a rifle company then yea the rifle needs to be in the pic but that takes it out of the running for any of these contests in my eyes. Just my opinion.

100% agree. I have my own elk pictures with the gun placed similarly to that one and it put a foul taste in my mouth upon review. So much so that the next bull I took, my buddy placed the rifle out front for a picture and couldn’t bring myself to post the picture. My bow kills I’m proud to have the bow in the picture.

Thanks for not burning me down for playing devils advocate. Happy hunting!

Why do people feel the need to include the freaking rifle with the animal? That last photo would be amazing without a stinking rifle in it.
Haha hey you take the photos the way you like them! personally why I did is I’m 23 years old I’ve always dreamt of having a rifle this nice and worked my butt off to have it built. It took me over a year and a half of working side jobs and overtime to scratch up enough money to get it put together. Then I had it chambered in a wildcat cartridge (7 Sherman Max) I spent countless hours reloading, fire forming, load development And several hours of range time dialing it in. For me to finally have a gun like this and then be able to take a bull like this with it on a OTC tag is a dream come true! I’m very proud of the hard work I put in to this rifle and this hunt. The story to the hunt is more than just this bull. This story started years ago. No hard feelings I love criticism! Just thought I would explain why it’s in the picture!👊🏻

Excellent reason to have the gun in the picture. No hate or shame from me. I respect your reasoning. You’ve probably got more range time with that gun than I do with all my guns combined and obviously you’re more educated than me on this topic so good on you. Excellent picture

twall13

WKR
I'm a little disappointed my photo didn't make the final cut, but these are some great photos so I get it. Thanks for putting on the contest!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Official Winners' Announcement Time (sorry I was slow).

(Please note that the poll above won’t reflect that actual vote count after late registering accounts are pulled according to the rules. )

The Official Winners are…

@NMbackcountry wins the Kifaru $750! with this epic image:
nmbackcountry.jpg
(NMbackcountry was also a finalist in the 2021 contest)

For the Phoneskope Gear, it's @Hank with this image
hank.jpeg
(Hank placed first in the 2020 contest)

and for the Ironwill Knife, it's

@Khuntbarney with this dandy
9D8FA779-E513-41DD-9D32-EEBEF8A5CB2C.jpeg

Congrats to you guys, and to all who made the 10 finalists. This contest just keeps getting more competitive.

(And thanks to @TagEater for his honesty in pointing out there was a miscount on our end. He’s gonna receive some sweet game bags for being an upstanding dude!!!)

Also thanks to the staff and mods, and especially @Travis Bertrand for all the behind the scenes work it takes to run this contest. Couldn't do it without you all.

Winners, please PM me and I'll get you hooked up with your gear.

Last edited: