Vortex vs Maven vs Swaro

Hey everyone, I currently have a pair of Razor HD binos that are the original versions that were made in Japan. The glass is satisfactory to me for hunting currently but I am thinking about buying a spotter to improve my hunting/wildlife watching experience. I have thought about going all the way up to swaros to have a set of glass for life, but I’ve also heard a lot of good things about maven specifically. Can anybody comment on the difference in glass quality between these three companies? Thanks in advance for the opinions

kkp005

WKR
I’ve recently picked up some Kowa Genesis binonculars and the glass is absolutely phenomenal on them… wouldn’t over look their spotters either

nobody

WKR
I’ve owned Razor UHD’s, Maven B2’s and (currently) B6’s. I also worked at Sportsman’s Warehouse as a side hustle for a few years and could get most optics for a steep discount or even free through various incentive programs. I was the optics nerd at our location, and enjoyed testing and comparing optics outside looking at the mountain about a mile and a half from the front door of the store.

I could’ve gotten anything I wanted, and after lots of comparing, Swaro was at the bottom of the list. Specifically, the EL and NL’s. Field Flattener headache is a real thing, and the EL’s gave it to me BIG TIME. And the eyecups on the NL’s are the second worst in the industry IMO, second only to Leupold. They feel like melon ballers, trying to dig my eyeballs out of my head. You couldn’t gift me a pair, yuck. Couple that with the blueish-green hue the Swaro coatings cast across the image and I was immediately turned off. The SLC’s are far superior to both IMO, but they were discontinued while I was working there.

I share all of this to say that just because it’s “Swaro” doesn’t mean it’s objectively great for everyone. The name “Swaro” is to the optics industry what “Kleenex” is to tissue paper. I firmly believe that if all logos were removed and all binos physically looked the same, and the only differentiator was the optics themselves, 99.9% of people would select something other than what they currently own. Cognitive bias is a real thing, and glass snobbery is even more real.

I believe the Vortex Razor UHD binos are optically superior FOR MY EYES to any current Swarovski offering. And I believe the Maven B6 is optically similar, while being physically smaller and having better ergonomics. So I happily own and use the B6 in 10x50 and don’t wonder what I’m missing. But I’m one guy, and everybody has a different opinion and everyone’s eyes see differently.

Set brand name aside and buy what your eyes like. Test them all side by side, in waning light, outside if possible, and make a decision accordingly. Take advantage of rental and demo programs and take them in field before purchasing for yourself, then when you make a decision, STOP LOOKING. Try to be objective and ignore brand status and names and buy what actually is optically pleasing, and you’ll never make a bad decision.