Vortex Triumph HD 10x42 Binocular Review ***Updated 10/16/23***

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I get a lot of time with binoculars that literally cost thousands of dollars. Unsurprisingly, they are usually pretty great.

But not every hunter can afford those, and still go hunting. So it begs the question:

What kind of binocular can a single $100 bill get you?

Well, Vortex announced the Triumph HD binocular aimed at that market today, and I have a sample to look at (and through). Stay tuned to this thread for updates on performance and usability.

What are your thoughts?

***Update*** Vortex Triumph HD 10x42 Review

Are you interested in a binocular like this? For you? Your kids? An inexpensive backup for a big trip?

6402e0e7019eca47b107355ca65071f8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a pair of Vortex Raptors ($99 porro lens design) that work well for me hunting in the southeast; I wonder how these will compare.

That said, I’ll probably be looking to jump up to a $200-$300 class pair, next time. Seems a man can get into HD glass at that price. Can’t yet afford, nor do I yet really need, $1000-class binos.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have a pair of Vortex Raptors ($99 porro lens design) that work well for me hunting in the southeast; I wonder how these will compare.

That said, I’ll probably be looking to jump up to a $200-$300 class pair, next time. Seems a man can get into HD glass at that price. Can’t yet afford, nor do I yet really need, $1000-class binos.

I often recommend the Raptor to people on tight budgets. The simple Porro prism design gives more optical performance vs. roof prisms at the lowest price point.

There just haven’t been any decent performing roofs available at this price point … but the Triumph seems like it is changing that…

has530

Lil-Rokslider
I'm curious but not optimistic. IMO the crossfire is bad, diamondback adequate, viper excellent, and razor good for their respective price points. Another low end model seems likely to be a poor quality MIC riding on brand name recognition (the skeptic in me says this is just the crossfire 2 but they gave it a different name to disguise the price hike).

I'm curious but not optimistic. IMO the crossfire is bad, diamondback adequate, viper excellent, and razor good for their respective price points. Another low end model seems likely to be a poor quality MIC riding on brand name recognition (the skeptic in me says this is just the crossfire 2 but they gave it a different name to disguise the price hike).
Once you sell out, it's hard to go back.

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
I would like to see a break down on how these actually stack up? They say its also "HD" and hitting the $100 mark, but so are the crossfires and copperheads and sometimes diamondbacks...So what really is the difference?

I found a pair of 10x42 Vortex Diamondback HD 's in a pawnshop this spring that I paid $80 for. For that price they are a great deal. They have a permanent home on my truck seat. What got my attention is how good they are optically, they easily outclass optics I started with years ago. I will not be selling my Swaro's but there is a place for Vortex . Curious how these new ones will perform.

kaboku68

WKR
So I own and use all manner El10X42s, NL12X42, Victory 10X42s, Zeiss 8X30 SFLs and all manner of Vortex UHD binoculars. I get the greatest satisfaction from selling a pair of low end binoculars to the dude who is barely getting by working 3 part time slave jobs and has a wife and three young kids. The dude is rocking value village Ozark Trail clothing and he has borrowed Uncle Larry's Mauser 06 which has been nicknamed "old lunger" to hunt on the three days that he has busted his azz to get off. He has 250 dollars left to hunt with. He looks through crossfires or leupold bx1s and he sees that he can actually effectively hunt. He may have to work harder but he has always worked harder. The fact that he can actually buy a pair of binos to help feed his family makes the dude almost cry as he is all choked up about the fact that he has a shot. The low level binos from Vortex and Leupold at least let them go out. I think that there are a lot more of those guys than dentists who come in to buy Swaro. The fact that the economy is so bad for the working stiff shows that Vortex pays attention to bigger economic trends than what we as hunting fanatics do.

kaboku68

WKR
Ok. They came in today. They are a bit sketch. Focus is weird. Not much eye relief but they are better than the cheap Nikon aculons.

The Triumphs have been on my radar for an extra set of eyes recently. I have been waiting to hear some reviews on them. IF anything, it would keep my daughter from stealing mine all the time to look at birds and other animals.

w.travis

FNG
Good review, was surprised he felt it performed better optically than the Raptor. Good to know there is a roof prism option to compete with the $100 porros like raptor, Leopold Yosemite, and the Kowa YFII.

I have the Kowa YFII 6x30 and 8x30. I feel they are both optically very good much better than the Diamondback. In center field sharpness and chromatic aberration control, same or slightly better than Viper. I've never looked through the Vortex Raptor, always assumed it would be same as the Kowa YFII, but now I don't think that is likely after reading this review.