Vortex scope intro

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
Can anyone start me in the right direction for a vortex scope that would work well for 100-1500yds? Which models offer the turret lock or stop? What's the difference between their different models? Razor, golden eagle, viper, strike eagle, venom, diamond back, crossfire, copper head, senora? I'm assuming the venom and down are the lower quality glass but I'm not sure... I'm not buying anything now, just learning... but let's say the budget is 1500 ish.

Edit....
I dont compete and I'm not looking to drop a deer at 800yds. I shoot a .308 that I enjoy. I won't ever be a world class shooter but I want glass that will out perform me. I currently use a trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 with a MIL dot reticle.

I only shoot comfortably up to 300. That's mostly because I live an hour and half away from any ranges that go past 100yds. I have the desire to move into western hunting and to become more proficient at longer range shooting. I want something that can be adjusted for longer shots and then brought back to 0. My current scope is great for setting and forgetting but I'd like something that is more usable for longer range adjustment.

I've always been happy with my vortex products which is why asked about them... but...

What would people suggest as far as scopes go? Something that gives me plenty of room to grow? And what features would be important to consider? Let's say I'm a novice that wants to improve and that understands that glass is expensive and quality comes at a price. I'm not willing to afford high end but I'd like quality mid grade.

Last edited:
I won’t touch a vortex that isn’t a Razor. They are good optics but everything but the LHT’s are heavy as shit so if it’s for a hunting rifle those are out unless you want a 3lbs scope.

nobody

WKR
Remember in that $1500 you'll need to factor in for rings. Not just any rings either, GOOD rings. Good rings cost big money. It used to pain me when I worked at sportsman's warehouse when a guy would buy an expensive rifle, a heavy scope, and then mount it all up with a $30 ring and base setup. Kindof like buying a Ferrari Enzo and putting Firestone El-Cheapo tires on it.

Figure $250 for your ring and base combo, that leaves you with $1250 for the scope, which would need to be the total price including tax and shipping. That leaves you at, roughly, the Viper PST level. Been made for a long time and lots of guys swear by them.

HOWEVER, as mentioned above, if you peruse the following sub-forum and weed through all the info, you'll notice that Vortex never seems to make the cut when it comes to rugged, reliable, high-longevity optics.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/forums/rifle-scope-field-evaluations.133/

Don't get me wrong, I use tons of their stuff. But for riflescopes, the consensus on Rokslide for what works is as follows:

Nightforce, Trijicon, SWFA, and MAYBE the Meopta Optika6.

Those Trijicon closeout details linked above would give you lots of bang for the buck, and even when coupled with rings and bases leaves some extra cash for another tag or some practice ammo, which we ALL need more of!

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet...

OP
J

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
You want to shoot to 1500 but can't figure out the difference between a razor and a crossfire?
Did you read my post? I said I'm assuming venom and down are the lowest quality. Thanks for your helpful input.

Last edited:
You're right. That wasn't very helpful...

Showing that you've done some research and asking specific questions tends to lead to better input. You asked about scopes that range from $200-$3500 for an equally broad purpose. That's not conducive to quality responses. Taking a quick look at their website and comparing your budget would narrow the field pretty quickly.

My buddy has a viper PST that he likes. I had a viper HS that I did not trust to return to zero after dialing. It seemed to frequently reset with recoil. My viper binoculars have also gone out of collimation for no apparent reason. I would look elsewhere.

I think the viper/diamondback scopes are probably fine for a set and forget optic.

If it comes on a rifle as a package deal, forget about it.

OP
J

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
Alright, since evidently I've asked a stupid and ill informed question, let me edit my original post in an effort to get some additional constructive input.

Vortex lost any value proposition earlier this year when they raised their prices on the Razor LHT line.

I would look at the Trijicon Credo and TenMile lines as well as some demo/open box NF scopes. Not much sense to buy a new LHT for $1350 when you can get a "proven" NX8 open box for about $200 more (just an example).

wapitibob

WKR
I've owned NF and Leupy, not a vortex. One of these will be my next scope.
The Leupold has better glass, LHT has better weight, NF has better reliability.

Last edited:

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
What are you shooting at, from how far, and in what conditions?

How did you land on Vortex as your preferred manufacturer?

What research have you already done to narrow it down?

Is your $1500 budget (rings & mount) all inclusive or just for the optic itself?

Vortex, for the most part, is a pretty low-tier brand. This is the scope you buy because you have a hunt coming up and the one you really want from Leupold, Trijicon, Nightforce, Swarovski, Leica, etc. isn't in stock.

If I had a $1500 budget for just the optic, Vortex wouldn't make the list.

Before you discount me as an elitist, I do currently own 2 Vortex scopes (have had a few others), binoculars and rangefinder. Of the 4 products, the binoculars are the only one that hasn't had to go back for some issue or another.

I had a diamondback tactical and it did not have a zero stop. I think the Venom and Strike eagle do. The Strike Eagle also has locking turrets according to their website. The Strike Eagle and down are made in China. The Vipers that I have seen were Philippines and the LHT are Japan. Some vipers could be China not sure. I think their LH and LHT are fine but they raised the price on the LHT. The Viper I had tracked pretty well and the reticle is wire instead of glass etched. Not a big deal but worth mentioning. You could take the LHT to 1500 as it has a good amount of travel. The 4.5-22 LHT is probably better for this if you don’t mine 4.5 on the low end. I agree with others above to look at Trijicon but if going Vortex under $500 I would get a used Viper 4-16 and if around 1K would get an LHT.

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Meopta Optika5 4-20X50 Z-Plus reticle. You can dial in the drops for longer shots using Strelok Pro and you won't break the bank. Doug at CameralndNY has them on sale right now, which you harldy ever see.

2531usmc

WKR
First of all, I have to admit that I never bought a vortex product that I ended up happy with. Maybe that’s just me…..

But reading through this thread, we talk about scope reliability and nobody mentions Swarovski or the other German manufacturers. Is it all marketing?

I’ve hunted North America and south africa with a. VX III 2x7 and never found it lacking