Vortex Razor HD or Meopta10x42 HD Binocular

armyjoe

Super Moderator
So, after talking with Aron the other day about the bino/spotting scope dilemma I think I'm looking at getting a better set of binos.

So here was my dilemma if you have input too. I have Zen Ray Ed3 10x42 binos right now and was looking at getting the new vortex 65mm spotter. Aron recommend I wait to get a spotter when I can afford a "big 3" and now get a better set of binos.

I'm looking at these two right now and I'm thinking my budget will be around $1000.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know if it would be worth it to upgrade from the ed3s to either of the above. That's just me, personally think the ed3 is great glass.

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I think the ED3's are pretty nice too but compared to the Meopta its a set behind thats for sure. Tough call on this one for me

Beastmode

WKR
Whats wrong with the ed3's? Thats $1000 that could be going to a big 3 spotter.... nothing wrong with that new 65mm razor by the way. Great glass for the price.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The ED3s are excellent binoculars for the price for sure.

The Meostar HDs really do separate themselves from from the Chinese ED class, IMO. Particularly, the optical advantage is in sweet spot size, depth of field, edge performance, field curvature, and light transmission. Physically, the Meopta is a much better constructed and finished optic.

The hard part is getting the $2000 bins to separate themselves from the Meoptas.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Well,

The ED3's are certainly good enough for serious hunting use. I use a spotter constantly, and would suggest getting a spotter first, and upgrading bins later.

On the separate binocular issue, I do think the Meoptas are worth their price tag and much more. Whether the extra expense is worth it to you or anybody else is a personal decision.

AGPank

WKR
So are the where's the comparison to the Razor hd? I think the razor has a wider field of view. I've seen some different information on the Meopta weight. One place said 27 oz and another said 32. Which is correct?
I believe Meopta also has a transferable lifetime warranty.

Didn't I read somewhere that BB likes the Meoptas even more than his 10x42 slc new?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
You read that here:

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/optics

As noted in the article, the Meopta weighs 32 ounces. It is one ounce heavier than the SLC neu.

I called Vortex yesterday asking about reviewing the 10X50 and/or 12X50 Razors. We will see.

The Meopta USA warranty is lifetime transferrable. Like most manufacturers the best warranties are through the USA distributors. If you see something about 10 year or whatever, that will be through a European or Asian Distributor, often because the governments limit warranties.