Vortex Razor HD LHT vs Leupold VX-5HD

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at both of these to go on my savage ultralight 280 AI. Issue is no place around has either of those to look through to compare. Anyone want to chime in as what they prefer? I am a MIL guy and both have that option so that is fine there.

I was in the same place as you with the same rifle. I went with the Vortex. I liked the glass to my eyes better. Also preferred the Vortex reticle. I have done a couple tracking tests and results were good, but have not really put it though it's paces yet with the ammo / reloading supply shortages.

That said, you will get opinions both ways. Both companies have had both good and bad scopes. The vortex is still a fairly new model without a ton of in the field vetting yet.

OP
xFREDx

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
I wish one of them were FFP and would make it a lot easier. but that isn't a deal breaker i can work in the SFP. The custom dial with the Leupold i don't care for as i dial for current temp elevation and everything else if i need to. This isn't a long rang hunting rifle either although it can be. It is just an all purpose light weight hunting rifle.

The pinned review has come good discussion points-- here was my long take:

BLUF: I returned my LHT and kept my VX6HD and actually got another VX5HD (Windplex) for my 270 featherweight.

============================================================
I no longer have my VX5HDs, which is where I think the LHT stacks up most favorably given the same magnification range, close OBJ lens diameter and weight. The plus goes to LHT for having illumination AND a useful reticle in one package.

Here are my thoughts-- I should also have them all at the range next week for more testing and some actual shooting.

WEIGHT
Razor LHT 50mm-- 20.4oz without scope caps or a throw lever.
VX6HD 44mm-- 21.6oz with Alumina covers and throw lever
VX6HD 50mm-- 23oz with Alumina covers and throw lever

TURRETS
Razor LHT- Elevation turret is awesome, pulls up easily, noticeable clicks and the hash marks are nicely spaced and easily visible. BIG FAN! The windage turret is capped and the dial feels similar to the capped Zeiss V4 I had... mushy, hard to line up. BUT- I don't dial windage except for establishing my zero so this isn't a big markdown for me.

VX6HD- Love the low profile locking turret, good clicks. However the size and spacing isn't quite as good and the LHT rev-stop system for zeroing will be slightly easier.

RETICLE
Razor LHT- THICK! Compared to the Leupold Impact 29-- the LHT lines are .2MOA and center dot is .35MOA. Which means the lines are double the .1MOA Leupold lines and the LHT dot is 40% larger than the .25MOA dots in the Impact.

The LHT reticle stands out more pronounced with a wooded and dark background compared to the VX6HD but on a less cluttered background it looks bulky. Could be an issue depending on how much precision you are looking for and at what distance. For a 600 yard, ultralight rifle that will go deep woods and open above timber I think the reticle will be fine. I do like the center dot only illumination as opposed to the illuminated cross the Leupold.

PARALLAX
Razor LHT- The 50mm MOA version is made special for Euro Optic apparently-- there are no yardage markings for the Parallax which is lazy IMO. I've heard the Vortex 42mm versions are marked. The LHT has more real estate for adjustment-- I guess it allows for more fine adjustment. It certainly was a large maybe 1/3 rotation to get from 20yd to 200yd. It was smooth, just feels like a long way to turn it. The VX6HD is marked, covers less real estate, definitely a bit more finicky but I'm more used to it as I have 2 of them and had several VX5s previously.

GLASS
Once focused and parallax adjusted I couldn't give an edge either way in just a brief handheld outdoor test. I knew how good my Leupolds are and there was not an immediately noticeable detraction in image going to the LHT. I would like to get them all out next to my Razor AMG and look at some 800y white targets and really test em.

COST
Razor LHT @ euro $899
Leupolds @ midway $1199

For the cost the LHT is a dang nice scope-- the reticle was a little thick for my preference so I may end up putting it on my Model 70 .270 for more of an all purpose rifle 0-500 yards and then put the Leupold on my 7saum for running to 800 and beyond.