Vortex Razor HD 4000 GB Review/Discussion thread

CTXhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if this has been answered but after about 15 minutes of waiting mine doesn’t seem to want to install the firmware update. Am I missing something? Thanks!

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if this has been answered but after about 15 minutes of waiting mine doesn’t seem to want to install the firmware update. Am I missing something? Thanks!

I did two firmware updates. One pre-release, and one on the release date. They each took about 10ish minutes and went through without a hiccup.

CTXhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I did two firmware updates. One pre-release, and one on the release date. They each took about 10ish minutes and went through without a hiccup.

I just used it like normal for about a day and then tried again and it worked fine. Thanks!

Bbeuca

FNG
Vortex just released the new Razor HD 4000 GB rangefinder with integrated Geoballistics software.

I got a pre-release model to test and my initial review is here:

Vortex Razor HD 4000 GB review

Check that out and post any questions and comments about this full-featured rangefinder on this thread.

Are you interested in this? What do you think about Geoballistics’ App?

Let’s hear it, Roksliders!
Love the review!

Any more feedback on the battery life and firmware issues a few of you were experiencing? I will be picking up a ballistic rangefinder before the fall and it's between this and the Sig.

Firmware update question:
  • After the app says my 3139 FW update is complete and to remove the battery cap, the most current 3139, I noticed that the App still shows "Update"
  • According to Vortex that button should disappear and they want me to send it back for them to take a look at it
I have since tried on both Android and iOS, reinstalling the app and removing the battery from the RF, but that Update button is still there. Any one of you seeing the same thing? I don't think this is an issue so I won't send it into Vortex even if they say I should.

Another question: How do you all know when the updates to your rifle profiles are pushed to the RF? I think the app pushes it to the RF via bluetooth automatically but I would also like to be able to have the ability to push it manually. It doesn't give me the confidence if I make a critical change that will affect my shot and second guess if the change made it to the RF

chrism07

FNG
Great write up. I've been looking for a new range finder and i've been interested in this one. Definitely going to consider it!

Sneekee c

FNG
I have been through two vortex 4000 gbs due to battery draining issue. Hoping the 3rd one will be good to go. If not, sounds like they’ll just keep sending new ones until it’s resolved. Customer service is amazing of course. They built around 20,000 units and sounds like this is the only issue with only a few of the units.
Besides the battery issue, the data is spot on and glass is clear. Tech these days are incredible.

R_A_W

FNG
I've seen comments that the Razor 4000 GBs are fast and quick, but I can't find anything helpful on the actual time the Razor 4000 GB calculates the ballistic solution.

I have Fury 5000 ABs that typically take between 3 to 5 seconds to provide a solution & I think they're slow as hell.

Huntercdc

FNG
Great Review, been waiting on this from Vortex for awhile. Ordered mine the day it came out!

JSol

FNG
I have had this rangefinder for a month and once you get it dialed in with the Geoballistic App, it is dead on. I was shooting out to 1200 yards with it yesterday. Range, dial, and wait to listen for the plink. At first, I wasn’t impressed because it is not an all in one solution and still requires a separate wind meter. I tried both the Kestrel and Weatherflow that sync in Geoballistic, but found it much simpler to use a Caldwell aimed into the wind. Turn the Vortex rangefinder to this same direction, tap the center button to lock in direction and manually enter the wind speed observed on the Caldwell. After that, you are ready to shoot without having to look at your phone. Also, the heads up display isn’t super bright, but you can either cover the back of the range finder with your hand to view this or aim it into something dark or down at the ground works well. As far as range, I was having trouble ranging targets past 1250 yards without going into elr mode. This isn’t a big deal and is quick to change, but does require you to get steady on something like sitting on top of bino mount on tripod or top of scope if laying prone. Overall, this is an excellent product that I will never leave home without.

JSol

FNG
I have to run it on 5, which is too bright indoors, or I cannot see it clearly in full sunlight (noon-3 pm). It is visible but makes me question if it is 3.6 or 3.8, and a quick wave of the hand in front of the lens gives me a quick confirmation. I should also mention that I have color weakness so it could just be something that affects me more than it would another.

JSol

FNG
I should have said see it at all instead of see it clearly in the first sentence above.

Here is a photo I just took at 3:30 pm and another with my hand in front of the lens. There is a lot of information and hard for me to make out in the sunlight. A quick wave of the hand brings it all of life for me.

IMG_1217.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1219.jpeg
    IMG_1219.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 8

R_A_W

FNG
I'd say your display does look a little on the weak side. Doesn't hurt to send Vortex an email with a picture.

tracking-test-range-jpg.8141897

Meathead

FNG
Well, I splurged and picked up a Razor 4000GB rangefinder this evening at my local Sportsman's Warehouse. Just now getting it paired to my phone and firmware updated. Looking forward to trying it out this weekend. Wow, it seems like it has a ton of options to memorize, I was just used to the point/click days of old. Anyway, I'll try to give you an update next week on how it goes.

Meathead

FNG
Where are you guys finding bullet information to manually input into the app? I'm talking about for bullet manufacturers not already in the GB app? I'm able to find the fps and MV, not sure where to find bullet length. thanks

Meathead

FNG
I called the #800 for Aguila and someone in customer service couldn't tell me the bullet length. How important is bullet length in the app, does it make much difference?