Vortex Razor HD 4000 GB Review/Discussion thread

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Vortex just released the new Razor HD 4000 GB rangefinder with integrated Geoballistics software.

I got a pre-release model to test and my initial review is here:

Vortex Razor HD 4000 GB review

Check that out and post any questions and comments about this full-featured rangefinder on this thread.

Are you interested in this? What do you think about Geoballistics’ App?

Let’s hear it, Roksliders!

Elite

WKR
Thanks for the review. Can you elaborate a bit more on how the range finder calculates the wind with out the use of a kestrel?

Also with no cell service is the map just a white screen or how much detail is there?

Can the compass function be calibrated with no cell service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the review. Can you elaborate a bit more on how the range finder calculates the wind with out the use of a kestrel?

Also with no cell service is the map just a white screen or how much detail is there?

Can the compass function be calibrated with no cell service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are great questions.

You manually input the wind speed in mph using the left and right wind buttons for the in-device wind modes.

When I used the map without service it was blurry, but not just just a white screen:

856a574660c629ca7f91449bd23a5a88.jpg

I don’t know about calibrating without service. I will try it out.

mojoe80

FNG

You manually input the wind speed in mph using the left and right wind buttons for the in-device wind modes.

When I used the map without service it was blurry, but not just just a white screen:

Great review. FWIW, offline maps in GB are GTG as long as you allow them to render prior to losing service. Just zoom to the lowest level and pan around the area. Your device will cache those tiles in temporary memory. Caching an entire unit or more isn’t an issue and will stick with you for at least several days if not more.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Is there any way to know which rifle you have inputted from the device or is that in app only visible. I've got a Leica 2800 .com and really like the range finder but it is a bear to navigate through The connection process and reenter your settings every time you want to change profile. Just wondering if you've used that one to say which is easier? Thanks.

mojoe80

FNG
Is there any way to know which rifle you have inputted from the device or is that in app only visible. I've got a Leica 2800 .com and really like the range finder but it is a bear to navigate through The connection process and reenter your settings every time you want to change profile. Just wondering if you've used that one to say which is easier? Thanks.
I haven’t run the Leica, but I’m loving this Razor. The only ID you have on the Razor is A,B, or C, so yeah, you’d have to reconcile that with the app. When you connect the 2 though, all 3 profiles on the LRF update to match the app. It’s a very quick sync for updating MV or changing rifles.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member

The GeoBallistics UI is very user friendly and the most intuitive I’ve used. I like the app a lot.

You can just drag the three rifle profiles into the A, B, and C slots in any order you want. Then you can change profiles easily in the rangefinder’s menu.

It is pretty slick.

Looks neat! Does anyone know if they have added any type of archery ballistics to this such as the Sig Kilo series?

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
Price tags asside... What is a better option for rifle hunting, This, Sig 8K, or BR4

Coues7777

FNG
I've been wanting to upgrade from my kilo 2400 abs i like the simplicityon the 2400 the vortex seems a lil more hi tech.... Do you think it's worth switching..?

I read the GeoBallistics manual and it recommends to cache the image. It says to zoom into the area and wait for the image to load and it should work offline. Can someone confirm?

Manual link: https://geoballistics.com/barcmanual/ (Page6 at the bottom)

@Matt Cashell, for the ballistic solution, were you able to confirm if you can get ballistic solutions up to to the max ranging distance? Some of the lower end SIG KILO BDX rangefinders max out at 800yards even if it can range past 800yards.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
@Matt Cashell, for the ballistic solution, were you able to confirm if you can get ballistic solutions up to to the max ranging distance? Some of the lower end SIG KILO BDX rangefinders max out at 800yards even if it can range past 800yards.

It gives solutions as far as you get a range.

This works ok. I would rather download areas manually, though.
Yes hopefully someone can tell Vortex we want the feature to download offline maps. It looks like Vortex bought GB.

If the map doesn't load, is it possible to get the coordinate of the ranged location to be inputted into another app like onX?

bradb

WKR
Only had time to play with mine for a few minutes today. Got quick solutions at 1300. My sig 8k might give the solution a hair quicker. Optics are better on the vortex. Selling my sig

Last edited: