Vortex ranger 1500

svivian

WKR
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Two weeks ago I received the new vortex ranger 1500 and since a lot of stores haven't had them for sale yet I thought I would post a review. In general not a lot has changed from the 1000 model to the 1500. The appearance and feel is exactly the same as shown in the side by side picture. It also has the same features and ranging speeds as the ranger 1000. The only difference is that when you are holding the range button and scanning a small s appears in the left corner. Around the yard I could easily range anything within a 100 yards quickly and consistently. So far the unit performed just as I expected.

Now a few days later I went shed hunting and took both the ranger 1000 and ranger 1500 out to see how much they have improved with the new model. Here is where things change. With the 1000 i ranged a large building 723 yards away. The 1500 yard model couldn't even pick it up. Conditions were almost Ideal with partly cloudy skies. I began to range closer until I finally hit 467 yards. When i made it up to the mountain I found some rock faces and ranged first again with the 1000 and then the 1500. Same results as in town, I couldn't hit anything over 500 yards with the 1500.

Vortex is a great company with excellent customer service so I will be sending it back and hopefully getting a new one soon. With rangefinders like the Sig kilo 2000 and the Leopold rx 1200 tbr around the same price range this is discouraging. In a few weeks I'll post and update on my review once I swap out 1500's to give a better and more fair opinion.

WoodBow

WKR
Man that sucks. Thanks for the info. I am shopping for one and that was high on the list.

OP
svivian

svivian

WKR
There are a lot of good rangefinders on the market. Just depends on what you want to spend and get out of it.

ahlgringo

WKR
Bummer, hope that was a bad unit and not how they all are. I like Vortex as a company and cs is great, but that is unacceptable. Btw just sold my ranger 1000 and bought a kilo 2000- i would put that one up against anything even remotely in the same price range- love it

OP
svivian

svivian

WKR
I agree the kilo right now is the best bang for your buck. I have a feeling it's a bum unit and I know they will fix it. It's just too bad to come out with a new product and not be flawless for customers but electronics can be like that.

I bought a new 1000 rangefinder last fall and I had the same problem with mine not being able to range over 500 yards. And it was like that right out of the box! I just sent it back and tested the new rangefinder they sent me and it works like it should. Seems disappointing to me that your 1500 is acting the same way

elkguide

WKR
That really stinks. I bought the new Nikon last fall and have had no issues with it out to 1180 yards.