Vortex Kaibab 18x56 vs Maven C4 18x56

As I was looking for a pair of high magnification binoculars, my research eventually led me to two choices; the Vortex Kaibab HD 18x56 and the Maven C4 18x56. I naturally started googling and checking this forum to see if anyone had done a comparison of these optics, but came up with fairly empty results.

I ended up buying the Vortex, and my uncle bought the Maven’s. So, to try and help anyone else here who has found themselves in a similar situation as I was, we put them up head to head to see which held the better value.

These optics have near identical specs on paper. Both have an eye relief of 16.4 mm, FoV of 194’ at 1000 yards, similar dimensions and weigh within 1.3 oz of each other, with the slightly heavier weight being the Maven’s.

We set them up on tripods and started moving back and forth between the two. Honestly, these optics are so close to each other that I would have a tough time telling you which bino I was looking through if you didn’t tell me. Edge to edge clarity is right about the same, at least it was so close that I’m not even comfortable saying one is better then the other in this category.

Clarity we all agreed goes to the Maven C4. Lettering at distance was just a touch crisper, but it wasn’t so obvious that looking from one to the other had a major jump in quality. It took a few rounds of looking between them to come to this conclusion, and honestly if it takes that long to determine which optic is clearer, then the difference is fairly negligible.

Brightness went to the Vortex Kaibab. While is was bright out, as with most optics, there was no discernible difference. They looked identical in terms of light transmission. Once we started getting into twilight hours, the Vortex really started to shine, pun fully intended. The Maven C4’s weren’t dark by any means, but the Kaibab’s certainly win the brightness test.

I will say the Maven’s definitely have the cool factor. The matte grey body and bright orange diopter just look good. We all know rule number 1 is to look good, and the Maven’s certainly take the cake in this category.

The Maven’s come in at $725, compared to the Vortex at $1000. Is it worth an extra $275 for a slightly duller, albeit brighter view? Tough to say. I lean towards no, save the money. However, that little edge during sunrise/sunset may be more important to you. It’s your money, and no one’s gonna rat you out to your wife regardless.

Overall, these optics are so similar it’s really comparing apples and apples quality wise and whichever you choose will be just fine.
Also full disclosure, I’m returning my Vortex Kaibab’s since I found a used pair of Razor UHD 18x56’s, which to be frank, blow the Kaibab and C4’s out of the water.

Attachments

• 237E9B7B-4D31-465E-BBB0-251E8628E347.jpeg
    237E9B7B-4D31-465E-BBB0-251E8628E347.jpeg
    317 KB · Views: 60

BWMhunts

FNG
I’m in the same boat looking for high power binos. Thanks for some good insight

IdahoHntr

WKR
First review I’ve seen of the Maven C.4s. Thanks for the info! Been looking at both these binoculars and this helps.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
As I was looking for a pair of high magnification binoculars, my research eventually led me to two choices; the Vortex Kaibab HD 18x56 and the Maven C4 18x56. I naturally started googling and checking this forum to see if anyone had done a comparison of these optics, but came up with fairly empty results.

I ended up buying the Vortex, and my uncle bought the Maven’s. So, to try and help anyone else here who has found themselves in a similar situation as I was, we put them up head to head to see which held the better value.

These optics have near identical specs on paper. Both have an eye relief of 16.4 mm, FoV of 194’ at 1000 yards, similar dimensions and weigh within 1.3 oz of each other, with the slightly heavier weight being the Maven’s.

We set them up on tripods and started moving back and forth between the two. Honestly, these optics are so close to each other that I would have a tough time telling you which bino I was looking through if you didn’t tell me. Edge to edge clarity is right about the same, at least it was so close that I’m not even comfortable saying one is better then the other in this category.

Clarity we all agreed goes to the Maven C4. Lettering at distance was just a touch crisper, but it wasn’t so obvious that looking from one to the other had a major jump in quality. It took a few rounds of looking between them to come to this conclusion, and honestly if it takes that long to determine which optic is clearer, then the difference is fairly negligible.

Brightness went to the Vortex Kaibab. While is was bright out, as with most optics, there was no discernible difference. They looked identical in terms of light transmission. Once we started getting into twilight hours, the Vortex really started to shine, pun fully intended. The Maven C4’s weren’t dark by any means, but the Kaibab’s certainly win the brightness test.

I will say the Maven’s definitely have the cool factor. The matte grey body and bright orange diopter just look good. We all know rule number 1 is to look good, and the Maven’s certainly take the cake in this category.

The Maven’s come in at $725, compared to the Vortex at $1000. Is it worth an extra $275 for a slightly duller, albeit brighter view? Tough to say. I lean towards no, save the money. However, that little edge during sunrise/sunset may be more important to you. It’s your money, and no one’s gonna rat you out to your wife regardless.

Overall, these optics are so similar it’s really comparing apples and apples quality wise and whichever you choose will be just fine.
Also full disclosure, I’m returning my Vortex Kaibab’s since I found a used pair of Razor UHD 18x56’s, which to be frank, blow the Kaibab and C4’s out of the water.
We appreciate all the support and the review, my friend! Thanks for being a part of Vortex Nation!

mgstucson

FNG
Just bought a pair of C4 18x56 on sale for $560. I was looking hard at the B5 18x56 (and still may end up with a pair) but the difference in light transmission between the 2 is less that 1%. At the sale price, the C4 is about one third the price of the B5. That was the clincher.

skmartin

FNG
Out of curiosity, do you carry these in a chest pack, and if so, which pack do you use that fits them? Otherwise I assume you just carry them in a backpack?

OP
K
Out of curiosity, do you carry these in a chest pack, and if so, which pack do you use that fits them? Otherwise I assume you just carry them in a backpack?
No, I carry a pair of 10x Nikon’s in my chest rig. My 18’s are in my pack and are dedicated tripod glass.

skmartin

FNG
No, I carry a pair of 10x Nikon’s in my chest rig. My 18’s are in my pack and are dedicated tripod glass.
Thanks for the advice. I'll be hunting open country in eastern MT this fall and am trying to figure out how much/which glass to carry. It's helpful to hear what others have settled on.