Vortex Furry AB data issue. Anyone else?

Duh

WKR
So I’ve been using these a lot lately for a creedmoor and 250 but basically doing my own wind calls so I haven’t relied on windage data.

Today I went to shoot out to 1k and get my 300 win mag dope validated. I’ve previously used hornady 4DOF and it’s always been spot on. Well out to 500 yards the Furrys gave me good dope. Started switching profiles between 2 other guns I was shooting after getting sold hits with the win mag.

Set up steel at 670 and 1k before driving up the other side of the valley. Well I get set up and all of a sudden my binos won’t range out to 1k. I range the 670 plate and get a dope that was more inline with 500 yards that I just shot. My wind displays also telling me to hold .3 for a 10mph left to right cross wind.

I finally get 1k to range and it spits out a dope that’s good for about 730ish. It’s also still telling me to only hold 0.3 for a 10 mph cross wind. I screwed with the binos, app, checked data, shut the binos off and nothing worked. Switched over to 4DOF and got legit data. Made a 2nd round impact at 1k and 670 was a walk in the park all day.

I’m screwing with these damn binos and the app now and have switched between the custom curve for my bullet and the G7 option. That hasn’t worked. I synced my profiles again and that still didn’t work.

Just checked my other profiles at range and my wind holds/dope is all screwed up now too. My previous profiles that were tried and good out to 700 yards are now significantly off compared to 4DOF. I know they (the 2 previous AB profiles) were previously very close (almost spot on before) with 4dof. Now they’re screwed up pretty good and I didn’t even make any changes to them.

My environmentals were identical between 4dof and the Furrys too.

Anyone else have this problem?

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
Mine was giving me inaccurate data too, when I was using the custom curves from the bullet library. Once I input accurate G7 BCs, the data has been spot on.

John

Reactions: Duh
OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
The g7 didn’t work for me unfortunately. Did it give you screwed up wind solutions?

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
Check the G7 value in their library compared to manufacturers data or even what other shooters are coming up with. IIRC, those values were off too. Once I had good G7 values put in, both windage and elevation data have been pretty good.

John

Reactions: Duh

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
@Duh What bullet are you shooting? As an example, the vortex library shows the 88gr ELD as having a .261 G7. Hornady claims .274. When I edited that bullet’s G7 to .274, the data has been spot on with actual results on my range, which goes out to 900 yards.

John

Last edited:

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
Shooting the 212 eldx, 143 eldx, 73 eldm, and 53 vmax. The 212 is giving me the biggest issue
For the 212 ELD-x, Hornady shows the G7 to be .334 but the vortex library shows it as .359.

In fact as I check several bullets for the purpose of this post, none of the BCs in the Vortex library have been very close to Hornady’s numbers. I have found Hornady’s numbers to work well for me.

John

Last edited:
OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
For the 212 ELD-x, Hornady shows the G7 to be .334 but the vortex library shows it as .359.

In fact as I check several bullets for the purpose of this post, none of the BCs in the Vortex library have been very close to Hornady’s numbers. I have found Hornady’s numbers to work well for me.

John
Thanks! I didn’t think to mess with the BC’s. I’ll play with some of the BCs and see where that gets me

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR

John
I corrected the BC’s and took the battery out of the unit. That helped a little bit for the elevations. They’re within .1 mill and 1/2 MOA for two of the profiles now. The wind corrections are still screwed up and showing 0.3 wind holds across the board.

I’ll give vortex a call and see if they can get the wind figured out. Really don’t want to spend the money on the Revics but it’s starting to look like that’s the direction I’m going.