Vortex 4-12x40 BDC scope on CZ 457 rifle

I have a Vortex 4-12x40 BDC rifle scope that I originally bought for my .270 Weatherby Vanguard last year. The eye relief on it was too far and, unless I added a Pic rail, never could get it just right. I ended up swapping it for a Vortex Viper 4-16x50 LRHS scope, so I have the smaller Diamondback available.

I’m waiting for the arrival of my CZ 457 American in 17hmr and am trying to figure out if the diamondback will work for it, or if I’ll have similar issues with the eye relief? Also, the diamondback doesn’t have a parallax adjustment, only elevation and windage. Would that be a problem? I’m mostly hoping to use it for shooting squirrels 50-100yds.

Kyguy

FNG
You don't need lots of eye relief for a .17, so that's a plus for it. Since you're going to shoot a .17 at longer ranges, I wouldn't worry about the parallax being set at 100 yds. You're not really going to notice it much inside of 100 yds, until the target is closer than 50 yds. Same thing with longer ranges, once you get to 200 yds on a small targets it might make a difference. If it's hunting and plinking rifle, roll with it and see how it does. Lots of folks run regular centerfire scopes on their rimfires. If you're going to be trying for the most precision for bragging groups, then you'll want the parallax adjustment.

OP
FeatheredMonkey
You don't need lots of eye relief for a .17, so that's a plus for it. Since you're going to shoot a .17 at longer ranges, I wouldn't worry about the parallax being set at 100 yds. You're not really going to notice it much inside of 100 yds, until the target is closer than 50 yds. Same thing with longer ranges, once you get to 200 yds on a small targets it might make a difference. If it's hunting and plinking rifle, roll with it and see how it does. Lots of folks run regular centerfire scopes on their rimfires. If you're going to be trying for the most precision for bragging groups, then you'll want the parallax adjustment.
Thank you for this. Solid advice, I’ll try out what I have and see if it need adjusting after. I’m not trying any precision shooting, just as long as it hits the squirrels when I need it’d, that’ll be fine.