Vortex 1000 rangefinder

SDHNTR

WKR
My Bushy ARC 1000 finally bit the dust. Never liked that thing much anyway. What's the word on the Vortex? Can someone talk me out of it? Seems nice.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
So far mine has been awesome. No complaints on my end. I've used it for 52 yard archery shots & 720 yard rifle shots.

weaver

WKR
Good rangefinder but i personally prefer the leupold rx1000 tbr after trying both.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The Vortex 1000 and the Leupold rx1000 are pretty similar imo. Side by side they have ranged exactly the same and seem to have about the same max range.

I have the Leupold myself.

I don't think either rangefinder is truly a 1000 yd. rangefinder. IMO they should be able to consistently range out to 1000 yds. in field conditions and the fact is, they don't.

Brock and I were both able to get a range pretty easily at 720 like he said but I haven't had good luck getting consistent readings much past that.

I'm not saying that they won't do it but when I'm hunting I need it to work every time and fast.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not saying one is better than the other.

I do wish my Leupold had the belt clip like the Vortex.

Leupold is also made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty.

wapitibob

WKR
I have the leupy 1000i tbr and like it. If you'll ever have a rifle in your hand I would go with the new Leica 1000r. Line of sight to 1000 angle comp (cosine) to 600.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I have the leupy 1000i tbr and like it. If you'll ever have a rifle in your hand I would go with the new Leica 1000r. Line of sight to 1000 angle comp (cosine) to 600.

Ok, but how CLOSE will the new Leica work, with angle comp? A lot of the high ends won't work inside of 30 yds. Not good for the Bowhunter.

I like my vortex, hits elk out to around 700 yards and the angle compensation seems to work well. That being said, my Swarovski EL range binoculars are noticeably faster at calculating distance and I rarely carry the vortex anymore.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR

Well I'll be darned. You are right. I had looked at the Leica 1000 before, but was not aware of the 1000r. I'm intrigued, but what does it do over the Vortex? Is it faster? Of course there is the Leica quality factor. This is silly, but I really do like that clip on the Vortex. Decisions, decisions...

boom

WKR
Well I'll be darned. You are right. I had looked at the Leica 1000 before, but was not aware of the 1000r. I'm intrigued, but what does it do over the Vortex? Is it faster? Of course there is the Leica quality factor. This is silly, but I really do like that clip on the Vortex. Decisions, decisions...
i have the vortex. bought it used off of AT for $200. a steal.

i've hunted with it a few times. i like the optics. coming from the Nikon Archer's choice, the glass is much better. you have to get used to the bluish hue it puts on everything, but it is very very clear.

the clip is nice, but you clip it on your belt, and see ya later. you will drop it. it just doesnt clip tight at all. i think it is a decent way to hang it temporarily, but hiking with it clipped. forget it. i'll probably take the clip off of mine just to streamline the thing.

streamline. it is very small. i like it. i sometimes get all confused with the perfect rectangle shape and in the excitement will try to put the wrong end to my eye. i just got used to the tactile reference i get from the nikons to know which way is the dumb end. my buddy put a strip of mole skin to the top of his, so he knows.."Fuzzy side up".

i dig the RED display. in full daylight, you better set it on high to read it. i just leave it there now. in HRC mode. (angle comp) there is a silly feature. it puts up huge text saying "HRC"..to tell you it is in that mode. my nikon just had a tiny universal angle symbol at the bottom corner of the views. nice.

i love the quiet button. my brother has the Leupolds and i can hear him clicking distances next to me. no a big deal tho as a western hunter guy.

accuracy? hmm..suspect IMHO. not a deal breaker really. but side by side with all my friends, my vortex is a yard short or so. my arrows and especially my bullets could care less. how do i really know this? i am a civil engineer. i used thousand dollar survey equipment to get real lengths..i know the my vortex reads short. here is the rub..at my bow range, with the big black targets, it bounces back perfect distances. out on a mountain top bored..if i range a rock or tree, it will be a tiny bit shorter than my hunting partners gear sitting next to me. i have a calibrated metal tape that i can get a perfect 100 yards. sucks to be anal sometimes. i know deep deep deep inside, i will own a leica rangefinder someday.

warranty!! WOOOW! i sent my vortex back. they noted that it was missing a case and put a brand new case in the box when they shipped it back. they cleaned it..and check if it was calibrated. i got a note saying it was "perfectly within spec". okay. when i told them it was off compared to my Spectra HD150 precision lazer rangefinder, they were not impressed. hahah.

all in all, they are great rangers. i am so happy i got mine for so cheap. if i were you..i would find used ones. Vortex will replace them for free, no questions asked if they are not working. i see them all the time at AT.

I have nothing to complain about mine, it's simple light and gets the job done, like it bettering really every way betterthen my buddies leupold. Just as accurate, as I can tell, jut as fast, quit, feels good in the hand. It gets a thumbs up from me.

Backstrap

Lil-Rokslider
Went through the same decision earlier this summer and wound up with the Leupy 1000 tbr after buying both. The time to measure the range to an object was noticably faster with the Leupy plus the tbr option is pretty trick if you want to invest the time to set up your rifle for it.

JNDEER

WKR
Nate,
the only rangefinder with a full lifetime warranty is vortex.
the leupy button i did not care for. I like to feel the "click" and it does not. it is super fast and very accurate.

the vortex is slow, gets a lot of "no reads (farther yardages)" and i cannot get it to pick up anything past 768 yards. most things in the 500 and more range take a LOT of clicks to get it to read anything. However, it does have the best warranty of any electronic rangefinder in the business. i will send it back after the season is over to make sure it is calibrated correctly. angle comp is good out to 100 yards (i beleive) and then the max angle comp changes past that to a smaller amount.

i went with the vortex...just because of the warranty.

Mike7

WKR
I was going to start looking at getting either the Vortex or Leupold rangefinder (probably end up with the Vortex through Paul/Elknut).

But can anyone tell me how these two do with managing fog and close up branches/brush, when you are trying to range something beyond 20-30 yds?
Infact, I would love to have an available mode that only ranges things beyond 20-25 yds...anything closer than this is on my first archery site pin anyway and so I don't care exactly how far away it is.

In the past, after my prior Bushnell bit the dust the first time it got wet, I picked up an elcheapo non-angle compensating rangefinder, and with it if there are any nearby twigs within 10 yards or if it is foggy at all, it just will read a range of 6 yds...very annoying and useless in these situations!

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I don't like hearing all the multiple click reports from the Vortex. Are they all that way?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I was going to start looking at getting either the Vortex or Leupold rangefinder (probably end up with the Vortex through Paul/Elknut).

But can anyone tell me how these two do with managing fog and close up branches/brush, when you are trying to range something beyond 20-30 yds?
Infact, I would love to have an available mode that only ranges things beyond 20-25 yds...anything closer than this is on my first archery site pin anyway and so I don't care exactly how far away it is.

In the past, after my prior Bushnell bit the dust the first time it got wet, I picked up an elcheapo non-angle compensating rangefinder, and with it if there are any nearby twigs within 10 yards or if it is foggy at all, it just will read a range of 6 yds...very annoying and useless in these situations!

The Leupold has a "last target" function that helps to skip past the closer objects. It doesn't work perfect but it helps for sure.

Also, I double checked and the Leupold rangefinders do not have a lifetime warranty like I thought. They come with a 1-2 year warranty depending on model.

JNDEER

WKR
I don't like hearing all the multiple click reports from the Vortex. Are they all that way?

The two I tested in store were that way at in store ranges.
The one I have can need multiple clicks for farther ranges or if there is obstruction (small amount).
For clear shot close range (archery) I don't have that issue.

my one big complaint is their +/- 3 yard variance at ALL RANGES!

wapitibob

WKR
My leupy was within 3" out to 100 yards near as I could tell without a plumb bob. Friends units were 1/2 yard difference from mine and I have seen that before too. Seems like they're dead on or 1/2 off.