Vivo forest tracker esc durability

Braaap

WKR
I just wore mine for an 8 day elk hunt. This is my third season with this pair of boots and when they were new they did a lot better at staying dry for longer. I even did the Aqua Seal around the leather/sole interface, the stitching, and gave them a bit of a rand. I brought a few pairs of socks and a pair of Sealskinz waterproof socks. The waterproof socks worked great when we had a good storm that dumped a few inches of snow. I wore the Injinji liners under the Sealskinz and after a couple days the boots dried out and I went back to regular socks over the liners. These are by far my favorite boots I’ve ever had. The lack of waterproofing kinda sucks at times but the advantage they have when it’s not wet is huge, which for where I hunt is the majority of the time. These boots breathe so much better and I’m never itching to take them off at the end of the day. I was skeptical of packing heavy loads with them at first but they’re totally fine if you’re feet are adapted to them.

Attachments

• IMG_2647.jpeg
    IMG_2647.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2648.jpeg
    IMG_2648.jpeg
    321.5 KB · Views: 19

fwafwow

WKR
I ordered some seal skins to use with my vivos if I need them this fall.

I’m going to give them a go. Got some Jim greens too but I don’t see the sole being aggressive enough some of the time atleast.
Which Sealskinz did you get, and how are they?

OP
H
I forgot to mention, I used mine on my elk hunt a couple weeks ago. It was dry dry dry so I didn't get to test out the water resistance with my aqua seal rand, but the rand has held up really well so far. This is 2.5 seasons of use (probably a few hundred miles) and 1 season with the rand.

I shot a small spike ...crazy small... Smallest I've seen, and packed out about 100lbs each of 2 trips, 9.5 miles one way. That got my arches somewhat tired, maybe a little sore, but not bad at all. They just felt "worked" after finishing. They're incredibly comfortable and hopefully they'll improve their durability of stitching and adhesives.

1000001743.jpg

Dobermann

WKR
Just back from a family holiday. My days of mountain hiking are likely behind me, but myself and my partner wore our Vivos in a full day in the snow - I had Tracker ESCs, and she had Trackers. Both treated beforehand with Vivo's Renapure and no wetting through or leaking.

Tread on both handled traction on relatively slippery snow well. Granted, we weren't doing technical stuff - just goofing around with kids - but they worked just fine.

I'd say if anyone has any doubts about Trackers (especially ESCs) for the snow, give them a go.

Dobermann

WKR
How "Waterproof" are they with renapur or other treatments?

Someone make a good goretex version already!
I use them once a month or so for a 3D course that usually involves a short creek crossing, a moderate amount of mud, and hiking through a moist temperate forest for the rest of the day.

I personally apply the Renapur each time before I head out (I wear them in between this course) and afterwards (once removing mud and letting them dry).

Possibly more regular maintenance than is needed, but they haven't wet out on me so far. Having said that, I'm not doing extended hikes through water or snow as others have posted above. But it's one more data point.

twall13

WKR
Oh yes... I forgot to mention that the Granger's waterproofing wax works the best on these of those I've tried. I've used obenaufs, nikwax, and renapur also. Nikwax is shit. Renapur and obenaufs are ok but don't last as long as grangers WP wax
Good to know, mine are do for a treatment and I have some Grangers on hand. I'll have to give it a try.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Is what comes on them when they are new from Revivo good enough for a weeks worth of hunting? It feels pretty oily/waxy. I wore them a few times to break them in some but the coating seems to be about the same as it was new other than some dust. All I have on hand is obenaufs, but I'd like to try something better like the Grangers. I'm leaving tomorrow for a week of hunting and there is going to be snow.

Braaap

WKR
Is what comes on them when they are new from Revivo good enough for a weeks worth of hunting? It feels pretty oily/waxy. I wore them a few times to break them in some but the coating seems to be about the same as it was new other than some dust. All I have on hand is obenaufs, but I'd like to try something better like the Grangers. I'm leaving tomorrow for a week of hunting and there is going to be snow.
I would get some waterproof socks! I was really shocked how well they work, and they’re not too pricey. My trackers were nearly waterproof though for the first season so you might be ok.