Vivo forest tracker esc durability

C Bow

WKR
I went to Alaska in 2020 Sheep hunting and when I got there the guide had a pair of LL Bean rubber bottom and leather uppers boots. Best hunting guide I have ever had the privilege to hunt with and had a fantastic hunt. I killed a sheep on a mountain he said he had been trying to kill a sheep on for 12 years but could never get close enough before. He named the mountain after me because we got lucky. Guess what I am getting at is everyone likes different equipment. He said it was the best boots for him and worked for him.

OP
H
Forest tracker esc I have to buy new pair of boots every year as I am very hard on boots. The boots they sent me would not last 6 months wearing to work. I understand everyone has different exp with boots I take very good care of my equipment and I am glad you are happy with yours.
Your expectations match my experience. I didn't get a full year of use. Outsole separation from leather and immediate water intrusion through there and the outsole stitching. Otherwise, the upper is very water resistant with regular wax treatment. The only reason I don't use my goretex scarpas instead is because they're too tight and prolonged trips causes Achilles tendonitis for me.

Well I decided to get a pair of these. I've been hunting with Vibram 5 fingers for years but they don't hold up very well to my abuse. I believe these might be the ticket.

Anyone have an injinji code?
don't have a code but I'm on their mailing list and get offers for sales pretty often. I like their merino line

Ordered these from Revivo on 7/14/2024. Great condition on their website.

Arrived today in Nebraska! They look brand new to me. Size/fit is really similar to my Xero sneakers. In my Xeros I wear a 12US/45EU and that’s what I ordered for the vivos. Excited to get some miles on em!

8223110bb4f8f3cf03444b3c13660cfd.jpg

a16295e069b681800d05d9d296f7acff.jpg

6b9051641837e0e2a023059a7fe71812.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElPollo

WKR
Ordered these from Revivo on 7/14/2024. Great condition on their website.

Arrived today in Nebraska! They look brand new to me. Size/fit is really similar to my Xero sneakers. In my Xeros I wear a 12US/45EU and that’s what I ordered for the vivos. Excited to get some miles on em!

8223110bb4f8f3cf03444b3c13660cfd.jpg

a16295e069b681800d05d9d296f7acff.jpg

6b9051641837e0e2a023059a7fe71812.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The black looks nice. I got these Magnas from the Revivo site today and they appear brand new.
1721427344431.jpeg

ThunderJack49

Lil-Rokslider
I fought a small wildfire last night in my trackers. My feet got hot faster than a normal wildland boot would but I didn't die and they are fine. Just another useless anecdote for everyone.

ElPollo

WKR
I fought a small wildfire last night in my trackers. My feet got hot faster than a normal wildland boot would but I didn't die and they are fine. Just another useless anecdote for everyone.
See my earlier post here about replacing the Vivo insoles with saddle leather. You can buy scrap oak-tanned leather from leather or saddle shops and cut insoles for them. They don’t affect the flexibility much at all, but they will give you added insulation from heat and a layer that won’t melt under your feet. They also help with puncture resistance.

ThunderJack49

Lil-Rokslider
See my earlier post here about replacing the Vivo insoles with saddle leather. You can buy scrap oak-tanned leather from leather or saddle shops and cut insoles for them. They don’t affect the flexibility much at all, but they will give you added insulation from heat and a layer that won’t melt under your feet. They also help with puncture resistance.
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend these as a fire boot to anyone, it is just what I had on at the time. I love them and plan on getting a few more pairs, they are good as is. My intention wasn't to highlight that they are thin soled but rather they didn't melt off my feet when they got a bit hot.

Tracker esc and injinji socks came in. I tried them on earlier today. I think they will fit the bill for more durability than my 5 fingers I usually use. Got go to check cams tomorrow with them.

OP
H
I've got some aquaseal SR I'm going to try to patch up my trackers sole separation with as well as put a bead all the way around on the stitching and leather/sole boundary to try to help improve durability and water resistance.

Has anyone used this stuff before? I'm wondering how critical the prep work is and would like some tips if anyone has experience with it.

I used a tooth brush under running water to brush as much of the dirt out of the leather/sole gap as I can and also used a stuff brush under water to clean the stitching.

After they dry, I'll rough it up with 320 grit paper and then do a final clean/wipe with isopropyl alcohol.

Then apply the cement with one of those little acid brushes .

Thoughts?

I'm a little hard on footwear even though I take care of them, but with the number of days I have on these (maybe 40 full days at most) the below is pretty ridiculous. There's areas like that all the way around the boot though not quite as severe.

1000001389.jpg

1000001388.jpg

BBob

WKR
I’ve used a lot of Aquaseal on boots over the years. Mostly for putting toe caps over the front. You can thin it with toluene so you can brush it on.

OP
H
I’ve used a lot of Aquaseal on boots over the years. Mostly for putting toe caps over the front. You can thin it with toluene so you can brush it on.
Is it too thick to be manageable with a brush without thinning? Would it be better to apply with a toothpick or popsicle stick?

BBob

WKR
You can do it without thinning but you gotta be fairly quick. It’ll start setting up and if you keep trying to brush it’ll start getting thicker streaks in it. Once on and it starts to thicken those streaks will level somewhat but if it goes on too thick (which is easy to do when you’re frantically trying to brush before it thickens too much) it’ll slowly run and sag and won’t look good. When doing the toe caps I’d do many thinner coats with the thinned product and build it up to where I wanted it. That’s how the boot shop did them and how a friend that worked there showed me many many years ago. I’d be inclined to put a thinned coat down first into that seam then go from there.

All that said If you just squeezed thin layers out of the tube into the seam and not too thick you’d probably be fine. Smearing with a popsicle stick would probably be fine too. Just don’t go too thick because it’ll sag and run.

OP
H
You can do it without thinning but you gotta be fairly quick. It’ll start setting up and if you keep trying to brush it’ll start getting thicker streaks in it. Once on and it starts to thicken those streaks will level somewhat but if it goes on too thick (which is easy to do when you’re frantically trying to brush before it thickens too much) it’ll slowly run and sag and won’t look good. When doing the toe caps I’d do many thinner coats with the thinned product and build it up to where I wanted it. That’s how the boot shop did them and how a friend that worked there showed me many many years ago. I’d be inclined to put a thinned coat down first into that seam then go from there.

All that said If you just squeezed thin layers out of the tube into the seam and not too thick you’d probably be fine. Smearing with a popsicle stick would probably be fine too. Just don’t go too thick because it’ll sag and run.
Since you're able to build up layers, I assume it would work just fine to do the entire shoe in sections over days rather than all at once?

OP
H
Yes, I’d think that’d be fine. It sticks to itself pretty readily. I’d probably do a quick wipe with toluene.
I'll probably just pick up some toluene when I get the brushes.

What dilution ratio do you use and what's the tack time when you think it?

BBob

WKR
I just wing it when mixing so when it looks right? It probably doubles the time you have to work with it. Straight out of the tube you’ve got a minute or two if you’re trying to brush it? Thinned you have long enough you don’t feel too rushed. Being thinner and doing thinner coats it goes pretty quick. You could do a full pass around the boot fairly fast.

Speaks

FNG
My trackers are something like 4 years old and the forest escs are 3. Generally they have held up better than something like Danner Pronghorns but not as well as Crispi guides. Overall I have been happy with them even at that price.