Vivo forest tracker esc durability

fwafwow

WKR
Haha. I don’t know how many would find it helpful- most gear sucks.
This view is exactly why I think it would be helpful. Most of us suffer from an attachment to our own gear/decisions (I'm sure there is a psychological term for that) and that "our" gear is awesome. A skeptical general view about gear would be helpful - much like second-guessing the standard views on scopes, and 77gr 223 projectiles...

BBob

WKR
Most of us suffer from an attachment to our own gear/decisions
Just as in this testing shows the differences between most base layer fabrics isn't really much at all regardless of what we want to believe. The author found his negative bias towards merino was probably wrong.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Just as in this testing shows the differences between most base layer fabrics isn't really much at all regardless of what we want to believe. The author found his negative bias towards merino was probably wrong.

The issue with that article, is in actual use on humans there are vast differences between them. Measured, real, repeatable.

When taking similar weights/thickness merino and synthetic shirts, splitting them down the middle and sewing them back to half merino/half synthetic, then wearing, sweating, and drying in them the differences are stark.

BBob

WKR
Yeah, I like my merino and the next guy likes his poly and we both think we are right. Different strokes for different folks. 😀

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Yeah, I like my merino and the next guy likes his poly and we both think we are right. Different strokes for different folks. 😀

It has nothing to do with “like”. Split tops and resew them into one and see the difference. Given same weight/thickness merino takes almost exactly twice as long to have dry skin as synthetic.

I greatly dislike synthetic base layers- that had nothing to do with reality.

Jimbee

WKR
Anybody make a decent safety toe zero drop/minimalist boot? I like my Vivobarefoot boots but I'm not supposed to wear them at work.

fwafwow

WKR
For a leather conditioner/water proofer for these what seems to be the most effective other than the renapur stuff they recommend?

I have obenaufs heavy duty LP, which is great, but as I understand it is not a water proofer but a leather preservative. It does provide some water resistance but seems to lose its surface water repellant nature fairly quickly when wearing the boots.

@Formidilosus what type of conditioner or water proofer have you used on them?
Unless someone says there is a reason not to, I will try the Crispi creme to mine.

OP
H
Has anyone chopped a channel through the outsole arch area for gaiter straps to go through? I was getting caught on all kinds of brush and sticks today since there is no recess in the arch for that strap to go in.

Also, I found the traction to be abysmal in wet snow and mud today.

Other than that, these seem to be awesome

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Has anyone chopped a channel through the outsole arch area for gaiter straps to go through? I was getting caught on all kinds of brush and sticks today since there is no recess in the arch for that strap to go in.

None of us have had any issues with gaiter straps, and we all would rate the grip high in both mud and snow.

Dobermann

WKR

Were you definitely using the Tracker ESC and not just the Tracker?

I wear the plain Trackers every day to work, and the Tracker ESC on weekends. The Tracker ESC definitely have more traction, and, like @Formidilosus, I've found them to be good in mud.

Braaap

WKR
Can you guys that are wearing the Tracker esc for big game hunts and heavy pack out speak more about how these boots work in those situations? Before reading this thread I would have said no way could you wear a minimalist boot to pack out an elk. I understand the concept of wearing minimalist shoes and slowly getting your foot strength and shape up to the task but it still seems kinda crazy.

A 60-80+ lb pack over rocky terrain for miles sounds impossible (until reading this thread). So I guess that’s my question mostly. A heavy pack over rocky terrain works? For real? I can see a smooth dirt trail working but I live in NV and everything is rocky AF.

I wear Scarpa boots to hunt in and they’re great with a heavy pack but I agree with @formidilisus about them being foot casts. They completely numb the terrain and at times are kinda dangerous because of how stiff they are. My daily shoes have been Altra for 2-3 years but I think I’m going to work towards nothing but true minimalist shoes and I have a pair of Trackers arriving this week and will slowly ease into them.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Can you guys that are wearing the Tracker esc for big game hunts and heavy pack out speak more about how these boots work in those situations? Before reading this thread I would have said no way could you wear a minimalist boot to pack out an elk. I understand the concept of wearing minimalist shoes and slowly getting your foot strength and shape up to the task but it still seems kinda crazy.

A 60-80+ lb pack over rocky terrain for miles sounds impossible (until reading this thread). So I guess that’s my question mostly. A heavy pack over rocky terrain works? For real? I can see a smooth dirt trail working but I live in NV and everything is rocky AF.

Works fine if your feet are built for it… to way beyond 80lbs.

OP
H
None of us have had any issues with gaiter straps, and we all would rate the grip high in both mud and snow.

Were you definitely using the Tracker ESC and not just the Tracker?

I wear the plain Trackers every day to work, and the Tracker ESC on weekends. The Tracker ESC definitely have more traction, and, like @Formidilosus, I've found them to be good in mud.

I wear Scarpa boots to hunt in and they’re great with a heavy pack but I agree with @formidilisus about them being foot casts. They completely numb the terrain and at times are kinda dangerous because of how stiff they are. My daily shoes have been Altra for 2-3 years but I think I’m going to work towards nothing but true minimalist shoes and I have a pair of Trackers arriving this week and will slowly ease into them.

I guess I should clarify that they are abysmal compared to other shoes and boots I've worn in similar mud and snow, and the snow and mud I was in was pretty awful.

It was wet snow, maybe three or four inches deep over water saturated clay type mud. On hillside where the snow had melted off, it was water saturated clay mud. Side healing steep hills or going up and down steep hills on that surface in these boots was really hard to keep my footing. The lugs on these simply aren't big enough with enough space in between them to dig down into firmer ground and prevent slipping.

Other shoes and boots I've worn in these conditions have worked better for me due to the mentioned lug size and design as well as the Ridgid soul on the scarpa boots I have. If I'm not hunting in my scarpa boots, then I hunt in trail running shoes that have big, well spread lugs. The rigid soul on the scarpa boots works well for this stuff because when side healing, you can dig the edge of the outsole into the hillside to prevent slipping, and when going up or downhill you can dig the toe or heel in pretty well and prevent slipping. The way that the Forest trackers are designed, the fit is fairly loose and the soul is so flexible that it's not easy, if not impossible, to dig the side of the outsole into the ground when side hilling, and with the heel being so rounded compared to most shoes or boots, it's harder to dig the heel in when going down a steep hill and soft snow and mud.

Anyhow, the traction seemed very sufficient in less nasty snow and mud conditions I've worn them in so far.

I am considering chopping out a small place in the arch area for the gator strap.

To your question on how they would work for big game hunts, I can't give any experience for heavy loads, as I've only taken these out a few times so far. But for moving through steep mountainsides, fit of the forefoot is really important to give you enough rigidity/stability when moving across a steep side hill. I have had mine placed up pretty loosely to prevent excessive pressure on my Achilles, but that also leads extra room in the forefoot for my foot to move around and that has made that side Hill scenario a little harder than it is with my tightly lace trail running shoes.

Even with the couple of minor issues I have with them so far, I think they're already way ahead of all other boots I've hunted in and don't expect any issues in packing out a load of meat.

OP
H
As far as what leather conditioner / waterproofer to use, I contacted them and asked about what type of leather tanning process this leather undergoes and if it would be okay to use obenaufs heavy duty LP. They said that the leather on the forest trackers is Chrome tanned leather and they are in the process of switching over the leather for all of their footwear to metal free tanning processes. They said they do not recommend the use of heavy duty LP. They did not comment on my use of Nikwax leather waterproofing wax.

When I applied it, it was hard to get it to rub in, and I expect that is because there is some sort of oil treatment already in the leather out of the box and nikwax is a water-based wax. With enough rubbing, it seemed to dry or absorb and water feeds off of them very well. We will see how long that first application lasts.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The way that the Forest trackers are designed, the fit is fairly loose and the soul is so flexible that it's not easy, if not impossible, to dig the side of the outsole into the ground when side hilling, and with the heel being so rounded compared to most shoes or boots, it's harder to dig the heel in when going down a steep hill and soft snow and mud.

I’m not saying this is your issue, but I can tell you that trying to use them like stiff boots and digging into hills, etc. won’t work. You have to have them loose and use the whole sole flat on the surface. However ankle flexibility has to be sufficient to allow that.

For gaiters, everyone I’m around is mainly using either Fjallraven Singi gaiters or Stone Glaciers, but no one is having issues with the Tracker ESC’s with them.

BBob

WKR
I’m not saying this is your issue, but I can tell you that trying to use them like stiff boots and digging into hills, etc. won’t work. You have to have them loose and use the whole sole flat on the surface. However ankle flexibility has to be sufficient to allow that.
^^^ EXACTLY!

To get a better perception or feel for it wear flip flops scrambling around for awhile, that’ll teach you how to use your feet to maximize traction.

Last edited:
OP
H

For gaiters, everyone I’m around is mainly using either Fjallraven Singi gaiters or Stone Glaciers, but no one is having issues with the Tracker ESC’s with them.

I agree on digging into hills. I've always kicked in or dug in with the edge of the shoe/boot when the surface is so sloppy that the sole hardly grips no matter the design, or when it's crusted snow/ice that won't allow the sole to dig in but allows an edge to be kicked in. Otherwise, yes I just use the entire sole's surface and allow the ankle to flex.

OP
H
^^^ EXACTLY!

To get a better perception or feel for it wear flip flops scrambling around for awhile, that’ll teach you how to use your feet to maximize traction.

Agreed. I've spent countless hours scrambling, climbing, and trail running and am very in tune with traction and my feet. However, my comments are related to specific surface conditions that are in my reply to form.