Viper HSLR and HST Still Competitive?

I am not well versed at "quality" optics, however, I am trying my best to get the best bang for buck in an optic right at, or almost right at, 20 ounces.
Both of these fit the bill.
BUT, are they good enough for moderately low light (not dark, just shooting hours low light)? Clear enough for moderately (500 ish) yardage? If so then great. If not, would being able to score one at the $500 mark make it more appealing?
Should I look elsewhere?

jpmulk

WKR
Ive been shooting the hslr for five years. Im no competitive long range shooter but its worked great for me on animals out to 500 and targets out to 1000. No complaints here. Its been reliable.

OP
bruceleroy
Ive been shooting the hslr for five years. Im no competitive long range shooter but its worked great for me on animals out to 500 and targets out to 1000. No complaints here. Its been reliable.
What model do you have? I dig the bdc for simplicity and weight but I am not opposed to the ffp model.

My biggest complaint with the old HSLR was the management of stray light. When I was shooting towards a target backed by low angle sun my target would get washed out. This happened earlier with this scope vs other hi-end scopes I had with me.

OP
bruceleroy
My biggest complaint with the old HSLR was the management of stray light. When I was shooting towards a target backed by low angle sun my target would get washed out. This happened earlier with this scope vs other hi-end scopes I had with me.
Good to know. Most replies are not as good as these. Usually it is just...that sux, this sux...
In other, more normal shooting situations did you have issues?

I am not well versed at "quality" optics, however, I am trying my best to get the best bang for buck in an optic right at, or almost right at, 20 ounces.
Both of these fit the bill.
BUT, are they good enough for moderately low light (not dark, just shooting hours low light)? Clear enough for moderately (500 ish) yardage? If so then great. If not, would being able to score one at the $500 mark make it more appealing?
Should I look elsewhere?
If you can find one used for $350-$400 they are great. You won’t find a better optic in that price range unless you go with a fixed power swfa.

I don't go out of my way to crap on Vortex here, but I had a 4-16x44 HSLR and loved it for a couple years. It then went to the repair department 2 times for turret issues and the second time it came back with a bunch of dust on the internal lenses so I put it right back in the mail. Fortunately it was a discontinued model so I got a full refund for it instead of trading for a newer model. On my scope I had a 20MOA rail with a 100y zero and the turret only had 3/4 turn left before it maxed out of elevation, at which point it would free spin for another 1/8 turn and lose zero on the way back down. A buddy had a similar issue on a HST where it was nearly maxed out of elevation to zero. Not the end of the world if you plan on only using the BDC reticle, but then why have the turret anyway. I had no complaints about the glass or holding zero otherwise, but the turret made me rethink their scope reliability.

Good to know. Most replies are not as good as these. Usually it is just...that sux, this sux...
In other, more normal shooting situations did you have issues?
No other issues (aside from one that didn’t parallax correctly) it was one of the first dialable rifle scopes I used and was satisfied with it as far as tracking and repeatability. I had the 2.5-10x version on a Ruger American chambered in 270 win and was getting hits on 1 foot steel targets at 700 yards. I have a “like new”
4-16x50 FFP XLR reticle if you are looking for one.

I have had both of the hslr and hst. I didn’t have the hslr long enough to have a good opinion on it. The 4-16 sfp hst didn’t do to well for me. I had the windage turret move on me a lot when it was in a 4wheeler scabbard and the low light at higher magnification was not good. I sent it in for this reason thinking something was wrong because a 3x9 leupold vx1 had better low light at comparable magnifications. They sent it back saying nothing was wrong with it.

That has been a problem across the entire Viper line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kurts86

WKR
I have an HST that’s never had issues since 2015 or so. I actually tested its tracking today on my .22 LR and it was good. I could always shoot well with it out to 700 yards or so but it held me back beyond that. Glass quality was a problem at longer ranges for me but 500 yards was always OK.

I grew out of the scope and mostly run Nightforce now but not because that specific Vortex product burned me. Vortex products have been a mixed bag for me but my HST was a good scope to learn on. I know a lot of guys who are light to moderate users of rifle scopes and ever single one of them has at least one Vortex viper gen 1 scope on some rifle because they have been on permanent sale for 6 years or so.

Had a HST that worked well until some baggage handlers did their job. It lost its ability to dial enough to get to 100 yards; literally dialing out to past 700 yards and it'd be well short of 100. Unmounted it, remounted it, and same damn thing. Sent it to Vortex and they said it was in-spec. Their CS is awesome and sent it back to me with the exact same elevation dialed as what I sent them with (past 700 yards). Remounted and the SOB still could not get to 100 yards. Had to use a 20 MOA base to get the scope to be usable. That POS has been a dust collector in my garage

Bought a new HSLR and rifle at the same time; Sportsmans did the mounting. Similar situation as the HST as there was insufficient elevation to get to 100 yards. Unmounted, remounted, and still could not get to 100. Sent to Vortex and they blamed the rifle barrel being bent. Put a different scope on it (same rings and base) and things were peachy. Put that HSLR on another rifle and it too couldn't get enough elevation to get to 100. So I remove the base and put a 20 MOA base on it.

Lesson: When buying Vortex rifle scopes, always buy the Vortex Band-Aid: a 20 MOA base.

Had a HST that worked well until some baggage handlers did their job. It lost its ability to dial enough to get to 100 yards; literally dialing out to past 700 yards and it'd be well short of 100. Unmounted it, remounted it, and same damn thing. Sent it to Vortex and they said it was in-spec. Their CS is awesome and sent it back to me with the exact same elevation dialed as what I sent them with (past 700 yards). Remounted and the SOB still could not get to 100 yards. Had to use a 20 MOA base to get the scope to be usable. That POS has been a dust collector in my garage

Bought a new HSLR and rifle at the same time; Sportsmans did the mounting. Similar situation as the HST as there was insufficient elevation to get to 100 yards. Unmounted, remounted, and still could not get to 100. Sent to Vortex and they blamed the rifle barrel being bent. Put a different scope on it (same rings and base) and things were peachy. Put that HSLR on another rifle and it too couldn't get enough elevation to get to 100. So I remove the base and put a 20 MOA base on it.

Lesson: When buying Vortex rifle scopes, always buy the Vortex Band-Aid: a 20 MOA base.
Its nuts how many of us had the same exact issue multiple times without any sort of recall by Vortex. Well, I guess they kind of have a permanent recall on all their products that they label a warranty.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
I had an HST 4-16x44 a few years back, in it's time it was a good scope for the money but there are much better scopes on the market now. Personally I wouldn't want an HST these days.

The PST Gen 2 and Strike Eagle scopes have considerably better glass than the HST but are a bit heavier, if you want something lighter weight the Leupold VX5hd has vastly superior glass and is worth the additional price.