Vibration after the shot

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone had suggestions to a vibration noise after the shot of my bowtech sr6, I took it to the bow shot I bought it from and they said nothing will help it.. I checked some obvious screws with some Allen wrenches but havent found anything on the bow, sight, rest etc. I thought maybe buying monkey tails would work but he didnt think so. Anyone have experience or suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
How about you take everything off the bow, shoot it and see if it rattles. If it does, address that issue, nothing on that bow should rattle except potentially the e clips on the axels. If it doesn’t rattle, put on one accessory at a time and see if it rattles. Repeat until you find the culprit.

92python

FNG
Cat whiskers work well. Good stabilizers do to. My newer PSE Carbon Air 34 vibrates way more than my old Ross 337. Its lighter and faster though.

OP
R

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
What is your arrow weight and speed?

Nothing quiets a bow down more than increasing the grains/lb.
I'm not sure what the speed is, but I'm shooting 28 inch fmj, 505 grains at 70lbs, with a 27.5inch draw.

OP
R

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
How about you take everything off the bow, shoot it and see if it rattles. If it does, address that issue, nothing on that bow should rattle except potentially the e clips on the axels. If it doesn’t rattle, put on one accessory at a time and see if it rattles. Repeat until you find the culprit.
I have yet to take everything off, I just was able to sneak a few arrows without the stabilizer and it was louder. I made sure everything on the sight and rest were tight. My next day off is Monday so I should get to try it out.

I have an 8" long fiberglass Stabalizer with, an Atomic Ball plus, a 5 ounce weight, in Front of it. ALL counter balanced by 4 ounces of weight screwed onto a Rod at the back of Bow,.. NO Vibration, NO Noise and STEADY in Hand ! Also have a BowJax, string "stop". I took all, my String "quieter", Junk,.. OFF ! All the Stabilizer stuff I used, came from Doinker Archery except, the BowJax, string Stop and the threaded Rod/ Nut used, to hold the REAR weight on. Hope this, helps !

Last edited:

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
First thought is it could be a "plucky", sloppy (no offense intended) release, resulting is a lot of sideways vibes as the arrow releases.

Second, have you tried adjusting your string twists to fiddle with brace height at all? Could be an improperly set brace height. Check the recommended BH for your riser, then add string twists to get the BH into about the mid-range.

Third, that sounds like what my wife's first bow did, when she was shooting 18# limbs at 24" draw length. 24# limbs are perfect for learning, but on a 70" bow, they're (for lack of a better term) wimpy, so that there's not as much tension at rest to stop the "wobbling" you see after the shot. All bows would theoretically do that some, but the heavier the limbs, the sooner it'll cancel. At lower poundages, the vibrations can last longer.

As for the arrow flight, how well are the arrows matched to the bow? In other words, what level of preliminary tuning/set-up have you done? If the nock height is off, the plunger centershot is way out, your follow-through isn't too clean, or the arrows are just WAY too stiff (or weak) for your DW, it could be causing some really poor arrow flight.

These sorts of things are really tough to diagnose textually, but with a bit more info, we may be able to help you get closer. Also, more info on your background (is this your first bow...?) would help. It doesn't sound like you've got anything serious to worry about, and it's something that will work out as you get your bow set-up and you develop your form more.

OP
R

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
First thought is it could be a "plucky", sloppy (no offense intended) release, resulting is a lot of sideways vibes as the arrow releases.

Second, have you tried adjusting your string twists to fiddle with brace height at all? Could be an improperly set brace height. Check the recommended BH for your riser, then add string twists to get the BH into about the mid-range.

Third, that sounds like what my wife's first bow did, when she was shooting 18# limbs at 24" draw length. 24# limbs are perfect for learning, but on a 70" bow, they're (for lack of a better term) wimpy, so that there's not as much tension at rest to stop the "wobbling" you see after the shot. All bows would theoretically do that some, but the heavier the limbs, the sooner it'll cancel. At lower poundages, the vibrations can last longer.

As for the arrow flight, how well are the arrows matched to the bow? In other words, what level of preliminary tuning/set-up have you done? If the nock height is off, the plunger centershot is way out, your follow-through isn't too clean, or the arrows are just WAY too stiff (or weak) for your DW, it could be causing some really poor arrow flight.

These sorts of things are really tough to diagnose textually, but with a bit more info, we may be able to help you get closer. Also, more info on your background (is this your first bow...?) would help. It doesn't sound like you've got anything serious to worry about, and it's something that will work out as you get your bow set-up and you develop your form more.
Well I'll start off saying I've been shooting bow for 12 years and this would be my 4th bow, with that being said I dont know much about bows to be honest. I would like to get into more since I have more room for it, but i dont know where to start. I usually take it to the closest archery shop which is an hour away. I have not adjusted my string twists, I have noticed my strings twists alot more on this bow than my last. I have to twist my peep often even though he tied it in so it wouldnt twist. I know I dont have the best form but it doesnt seem to me that that is it. As far as arrow tuning the bow shoots bullet holes through paper. To me the arrow doesnt look level when on the rest with the knock height I questioned whomever was setting up it up and they said it was level. I'll double check the knock height, it looks to low to me. As far as arrows I'm shooting 28inch fmjs with inserts and 100 grain tip. They weigh about 505 grains. I could try shooting some of my older arrows just to see if anything changes. Thanks!

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
What else are you running on your bow? Cause those BTs are quiet. It may be as simple as where u have your string stop set. If I get a rattle I will literally take my palm and hit my riser or limbs to find the culprit. Something’s either loose or string stop or an accessory is loose. My tightspot was giving me some noise until I tightened everything up.

OP
R

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
What else are you running on your bow? Cause those BTs are quiet. It may be as simple as where u have your string stop set. If I get a rattle I will literally take my palm and hit my riser or limbs to find the culprit. Something’s either loose or string stop or an accessory is loose. My tightspot was giving me some noise until I tightened everything up.
QAD bow rest which is 6 years old, black gold sight brand new, bee stinger stabilizer 6 years old, peep sight and nock loop

OP
R

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
Having the bow out of spec or synch can cause that sort of issues.

Your "nothing will help it" bowshop sounds like it needs replacing.
I agree I wasnt very pleased. Usually they would tear it apart or give an effort. He said it couldnt be fixed before I finished explaining the issue.

TripleJ

WKR
Are your mod screws tight? Those are sometimes loose from the factory and could lead to bigger problems down the road.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
Check the distance from the string to the base of each limb right where it disappears into each end of the riser. If they're way different, that might be it.

X-file

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had several bowtechs that the roller wheels on the flx gaurd would be a little loose and would cause a vibration noise that drove me nuts. Didn’t effect function at all just annoying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
Update, I made sure the mod screws were tight, the flex guard was tight I double checked my attachments as well as every screw on this bow. I'm noticing some wear on a couple cables. They arent really bad but now I'm getting nit picky. The vibration is still there, I have some measurements that I'm about to do next. Thanks everybody for the suggestions.