VIAM vs EE Quilt

Lil-Rokslider
Does anybody have experience with both of these quilts? If not what about the VIAM quilts? I have heard/read a lot about the EE quilts. Thanks for any help.

verysimple

Lil-Rokslider
Someone had a similar thread recently.. Try searching for it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WVhillbilly

Lil-Rokslider
I am interested in this as well, since I am in the market to buy a sleep system. The little bit I can tell you from research, VIAM is synthetic, apex like a slick bag. EE is treated down.

I would like to hear from somebody that has used both though.

verysimple

Lil-Rokslider
I am interested in this as well, since I am in the market to buy a sleep system. The little bit I can tell you from research, VIAM is synthetic, apex like a slick bag. EE is treated down.

I would like to hear from somebody that has used both though.

Ee makes synthetic quilt too - prodigy. Same material as viam - climashield apex..
They also have non-treated down option..

OP

Lil-Rokslider
The EE Prodigy only goes down to 20* were as the VIAM goes down to 10*. I hear that EE ratings are pretty accurate but I'm not sure about VIAM. Cost wise they are about the same price.

verysimple

Lil-Rokslider
The EE Prodigy only goes down to 20* were as the VIAM goes down to 10*. I hear that EE ratings are pretty accurate but I'm not sure about VIAM. Cost wise they are about the same price.

I am wondering about that too. I wish ee would elaborate. Pretty sure they both use apex 6.0

WVhillbilly

Lil-Rokslider
dont have a EE but love my VIAM and got it in 4to5 days and custom colors and packs really small

I talked to Travis at VIAM and he will make a 0 degree quilt for not much more. It just isn't listed on their site. Have you had your quilt down in the 20s?
I believe I am going to give VIAM a try myself.

verysimple

Lil-Rokslider
I talked to Travis at VIAM and he will make a 0 degree quilt for not much more. It just isn't listed on their site. Have you had your quilt down in the 20s?
I believe I am going to give VIAM a try myself.

Double layer or apex 10.0?

Sounds like my next purchase..

OP

Lil-Rokslider
I may have to give VIAM a call about the 0* quilt. I would like to hear more about it price, weight and bulk wise. I would rather have to much then not enough. It seems it would be very easy to vent the quilt for cooling off if you got to hot.

mavmskyb8

FNG
I had Tristan from Viam make 2 quilts for me, both 10*. Both were wide, and one regular length, (I'm 5'10") and one long for my son, (6'2"). I told Tristan that my son was a body builder, and he had me measure his shoulder width, and built the quilt accordingly! Great customer service! They both performed flawlessly! I used mine for 20 days in September, and my son was with me for the last 9 days. The last week of the season my son & I packed in 3 miles. The weight vs warmth comparison was easy! Appropriate R rated pad is important! We had rain & snow 7 of the nine days, and the DWR on the quilts worked great. We camped in a BPWO Luna 4, and with all the rain & snow, plus sleeping, there was condensation inside the tipi every morning, never affected the quilts! I do prefer the synthetic insulation vs down. Every nite when we went to bed, we would throw our wet sox in the bottom of the quilt, and they would be dry in the morning. I highly recommend Tristan, and Viam outdoors!

OP

Lil-Rokslider
mavmskyb8,
Thanks for the info and if you don't mind what was the temps for your hunt? Do you feel the temp rating is pretty accurate on the VIAM? Thanks

mavmskyb8

FNG
I would say morning temps were between 40*- 20's. I sleep cold, so I always went to bed with 1st layer merino wool, including a beanie. Most nights I would be too warm, Take my hat off, and open the quilt. This was my first time away from a conventional mummy bag. I hate them because I'm a side sleeper. The quilt worked great for me. I think the temp rating is accurate. My son & I both had R5 rated pads. I Think the pad is just as important as the bag/quilt.
Hope this helps!

Cheers!
Bret

WVhillbilly

Lil-Rokslider
I may have to give VIAM a call about the 0* quilt. I would like to hear more about it price, weight and bulk wise. I would rather have to much then not enough. It seems it would be very easy to vent the quilt for cooling off if you got to hot.

He told me approx 2.8lb for 0 reg length/wide and approx $225

OP

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks gentlemen for all the replies and info. I have always used mummy style sleeping bags but I toss and turn a lot in my sleep and usually end up sleeping on my side. I also will be buying a new sleeping pad. I just gave my son my new Exped WinterLite pad that I bought last year. It was a great pad but mummy shaped and my legs/feet kept falling off the pad with all my moving so I gave it to my son since he needed a good pad. I will be buying a new one but rectangle shaped for sure.

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
Keeping a close eye on this thread, looking to move to a quilt and trying to decide who to go with...

Thanks,
Boswell

Muttly

WKR
No dog in this one, went with Underground Quilts Flight Jacket quilts, ordered slightly customized.
I did get an email from EE within the last few days, they are making the Convert again.. If you are coming from bags, and not sure about the transition, that is another option.
Side sleeper myself, prone to a little tossing and turning, 62" wide quilt seemed to be the sweet spot for me..